• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Ultrasonic Cleaner

GingGangGooly

ehh how dous it work do you put water in it ???

Yeah and heavy vibrations are put into the water

And since water disperces energy (via ripples that u can see) the movement of water basically shakes the dirt off :)

Not great for engines tyres bearings and electronics....

But would work okay on chassis and Sealed diffs and stuff :)

Ziggy

Yeah and heavy vibrations are put into the water

And since water disperces energy (via ripples that u can see) the movement of water basically shakes the dirt off :)

Not great for engines tyres bearings and electronics....

But would work okay on chassis and Sealed diffs and stuff :)

Ziggy

Ziggy, your description of how it works is close.. but you don't quite have the physics right. :good: :good: :good: :good:

It works great on everything including engine components and electronics and yes, even bearings:

* Jewellery especially gold, silver & platinum

* Watchstraps & Waterproof Watches

* Coins and other collectibles

* Glasses & Sunglasses

* PCB Boards etc

* Engine/Model parts

* Toothbrushes & Dentures

* CD & DVD’s (with the 7800 and Ultra 7000 models)

My mate uses a 50/50 mix of deionised (or distilled) water and meths for cleaning the elctronics, and I have a customer in my business that carries out ultrasonic cleaning on an industrial scale on jet engines, turbine blades and even ship & oil rig components.

Don't use them on bearings, a mate of mine did and the bearings fell apart within 3 runs. Plus, water + metal = rusty bearings.

Fine for pretty much everything else though.

Don't use them on bearings, a mate of mine did and the bearings fell apart within 3 runs. Plus, water + metal = rusty bearings.

Fine for pretty much everything else though.

Did say a few posts up

U can buy them that are like for small wrist chains and coins and stuff.... could u get 1 and fill it with wd40 and put bearings inthen?

Ziggy

Yep, you can do that ziggy but remember that you'd need to clean it out afterwards if you were ever to use plain water again in it.

I think the best way must be to use soapy water to get the thick off in the ultrasonic. Normal detergent is a good degreaser and de-oiler, and it's all the industrial guys ever use that I work with. Their ultrasonic machine has a bath 2.5m by 2.4m by 2.5m deep and as I said they clean jet engine parts in there including turbine blades (and bearings!).

The water won't harm the bearings unless you let them go rusty. You can prevent this by drying off properly and then dunking or soaking in WD40. WD40 is a water dispersant (that's what the "WD" stands for in the name) so it will drive off any remaining water from the insides of the bearings and leave a coating preventing rust when it evaporates off, leaving you a spanky clean bearing to relube and use again.

If your using them on bearings you obviously can't slap a sealed race in there and expect it to last, if you stripped it down and then re-packed it with grease afterwards then it will be good as new.

Update: our local shop told us the offer runs out today. They have been known to be wrong in the past, but I thought I would pass this on as the current price is £10 lower than normal. The cleaner comes with as standard, a basket to hold small items, a stand to place watches or rings on that contain pourous material as they cannot be immersed and lastly a stand to clean up to 2 CD's or DVD's in the cleaner.