• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First time drifter needs help.

Cavematt

Anyone know if this is a good setup and if I’ll need anything else?

http://www.rcmart.com/sakura-awdsbk-drift-servo-motor-24ghz-radio-beginner-p-74333.html?cPath=420_1618

Ill be new to drifting but pretty well experienced with 8th scale nitro. 

Anyone order from from here before will my package turn up timely?

Thanks. 

By the looks of it, all you'll need is a battery to get running, but you may find you'll replace the brushed set-up very quickly for brushless. I'd personally buy a kit and choose better electronics from the offset. Have ordered from RCMart plenty of times, quick shipping 99% of the time.

IMO, get brushless for a drifter.

That's not the best set up they are offering and most of the time, you're better off buying it all separately, you usually end up paying about the same but get better quality items.

Given the nature of a drifter, to be almost constantly spinning the wheels, brushed stuff doesn't like that and generally don't last long at speed either, which despite the model not physically moving that fast, the wheels and motor still will be.

HobbyKing do some pretty budget friendly combos and RCmart quite often have good sales on HobbyWing electrics too, a 60a ESC and motor combo should be enough for a lightweight drift chassis.

Must be a sensored esc and motor too, 10.5t is the usual sweet spot.

where are you based? There is loads of drift clubs and very much well worth going along, gaining set up tips off the guys and usually a track to go on, car park drifting is ok for a while but oooh, on a track it’s much more purposeful I find.

tyre choices will factor in too, also silky smooth shocks are a must. 

There is is much more knowledgable drifters on here, I’m still relatively new to “proper” drifting, it used to be a tt01 and old Schumacher mi3.5 car park drifting :good:

Thanks guys,

i was thinking get the pre built chassis d4 black edition then my own electrics.

if I get the kit version are they hard to build? And roughly how long will it take? I’m thinking of giving up racing nitro as the constant cost and maintenance is relentless and it’s a long day for little track time. I will still go to open practice days but rather than buying a new 8th nitro mine is still perfectly fine for practice days. Thought I’d try somethings else. 

Big Gaz I’m based in Staffordshire. Plan was to get the hang of it on a car park then attend a club. 

Was looking for a second hand set up but nothing on here and not much other than HPI on eBay. 

Was thinking about MST rtr but for not much more the D4 and electrics seems a better deal in the long run. Have spare rx/tx so no expense there.

https://www.rcmodelshopdirect.com/skyrc-toro-ts-120a-esc-sk-300044-01-28692?search=toro

https://www.rcmodelshopdirect.com/skyrc-ares-pro-bl-motor-13-5t-spec-sk-400003-34-28709?search=skyrc

Do these seem like a good choice along with a servo. 

Should I go 4WD or RWD with a gyro? I don’t mind a challenge.

Thanks again. 

I think your closest might be mds (midlands drifters I think).

im a cs guy to be honest, perfect for my low skill driving, it’s set up so docile even i can look good on the occasion I hook up a few corners.

my best is still 2 and 3/4 of a lap. :whistling:

mst are good but expensive, the D4 is a excellent choice if you plan rwd (no idea on 4wd)

again though it’s all down to how big your wallet is and what works for you.

fine tuning any Rc as I’m sure your well aware, drastically makes a good Rc a great one.

personally I would get yourself to a club, (I go to NRD in Wakefield) and the guys are always selling, buying etc. Be worth checking out, you could end up with a decent set up from one of the guys there and see/have a go with it before committing. I was fortunate enough to try both first.

but if you buy new, go for a kit, that way you build it and gain the maintainace knowledge, pic your own electrics, wheels etc etc.

but as I say, I’m no expert in this area. Just going by my experiences

6 hours ago, big gaz said:

I think your closest might be mds (midlands drifters I think).

im a cs guy to be honest, perfect for my low skill driving, it’s set up so docile even i can look good on the occasion I hook up a few corners.

my best is still 2 and 3/4 of a lap. :whistling:

mst are good but expensive, the D4 is a excellent choice if you plan rwd (no idea on 4wd)

again though it’s all down to how big your wallet is and what works for you.

fine tuning any Rc as I’m sure your well aware, drastically makes a good Rc a great one.

personally I would get yourself to a club, (I go to NRD in Wakefield) and the guys are always selling, buying etc. Be worth checking out, you could end up with a decent set up from one of the guys there and see/have a go with it before committing. I was fortunate enough to try both first.

but if you buy new, go for a kit, that way you build it and gain the maintainace knowledge, pic your own electrics, wheels etc etc.

but as I say, I’m no expert in this area. Just going by my experiences

Thanks for all the info! What car are you using now?

Both me and my lad both run mst ms01d chassis, both almost at vip trim level, his runs 1.5cs and mine 1.8.

Mine was set up almost perfectly from the get go (bought from @heavyleftthumb on here) and just copied the other to suit.

trouble now is funds to have a night out, (NRD Wakefield) but all in it costs about £60 once you factor in diesel,food,entry and that’s before a shop visit :whistling:

my my intention was to go for rwd as in all fairness, they do look “better” on track, mimicking the real thing more than cs but once I linked 3 corners with the mst, it just felt like some bedded in slippers so was the natural choice.

Hence me recommending “try before you buy” saved me money.

now for me, I have my perfect drifter and other than a little dusting off doesn’t need anything other than some more use.....

the D4 is a great car and the AWD can be easily converted to RWD and back with a few quid. The RTR package is a decent deal but as already stated you will soon be going to brushless ESC and motor and so wil have wasted your pennies on the included RTR electrics.

The parts you posted are good but there are places to get cheaper online if you look around and aren't wanting today. It may be worth waiting for delivery if it saves you 20-30 quid.

I run the Toro ESC and it is very nice and cheap too.  Motor wise a decent 10-5 - 13.5 t is what you will been needing along with a decent quickish servo, The onisiki gyro that is included is good. as are Dlike which is what i use but only as it was there in the shop lol.

As you are coming from racing them you will have charger, batteries. Tx and RX so you should be saving some pennies there.

Id defo recommend going along to a local drift sessionto try and ask about and see how it goes. then see what you need.