• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rc car + mud.

tolk83

2 minutes ago, big gaz said:

Considering the cack and mud crawlers go through it’s not feasible to do a full strip and clean every time, all my Rc are on full view and although not spotless, still look very respectable on show.

I'll admit some rigs do look good good with a bit of dirt on them, especially if it is where one would expect to see dirt on a fullsize vehicle. After all, what is weathering other than purposefully applied dirt and wear?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I think once they start getting scratched etc... They aren't that pretty to look at anyway, so if they get used a lot, it's a bit of a losing battle.

You have a point there - with the possible exception of some beater-style scalers, any well-used car will eventually reach the point of being too worn to look attractive on the shelf. However they still have plenty of use left in them.

I have a few such cars in my fleet - much-loved regular runners with shells that show many a battle scar. In such cases the original shells still get used for running, but hide in a box when not in use, and the chassis wears a pristine shell for shelf display.

3 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

You have a point there - with the possible exception of some beater-style scalers, any well-used car will eventually reach the point of being too worn to look attractive on the shelf. However they still have plenty of use left in them.

I have a few such cars in my fleet - much-loved regular runners with shells that show many a battle scar. In such cases the original shells still get used for running, but hide in a box when not in use, and the chassis wears a pristine shell for shelf display.

That's another option, personally it's a lot of faffing for me, I'd ather just use it, but to each his own and if you get pleasure from displaying, then it's another side of the hobbu.

• Like 1

My signature is a perfect example of what I enjoy doing with mine really.

But they are still properly maintained.

Just not scrubbed to within an inch of their lives lol.

But then, they don't really spend any time being looked at, in fact the only thing I have kept purposefully nice is my blue Ford F150 shell on my ProMT, I haven't even run it yet, I guess that's as close as I will ever get to a display/shelf piece.

Non of my cars are comp winners or even close. But i like the art of making them look like scale models of the real thing.

Im into detailing too so my daily driver has a better than showroom finish. No doubt I'll be doing the same to my rc cars. All part of the hobby. I enjoy the building more than the racing/bashing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mond said:

My OCD means I keep them spotless. Even the tyres. It's like I can't have a single car that doesn't work. All of them are ready to go at a moments notice. They don't need to be but for some reason I can't rest until they are. I may not use a particular model for a year or more but still, it needs to be working. No swapping receivers. 

Nope not me. I have about a dozen or so that work from the shelf/cabinet and about 30-40 that need bits like receivers,motors,shells. The thing is I have all the electrics for them but can't be arsed doing it..:lol::lol::lol: and with these lads buying guns now I have to spend more money !!!

vsgdv.PNG

If somebody invented a scale drive through car wash you dirty boys would be using it after every bash! :lol:

Seriously though, I find the cleaning very useful, I can check for damage and the inevitable loose screws, put things right and then the little devils are put away ready to go next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me it depends on the usage of the model, if it's a basher then I'm in the dirty camp, I do check them over and rinse/lube when and where necessary,  and as mentioned earlier in the thread they'll get a full strip down every so often.

However race cars will get a full strip down between meetings, i.e the 6 p's, or "to finish first first you have to finish" so hopefully the only limiting factor when racing is me.

2 hours ago, MissT said:

If somebody invented a scale drive through car wash you dirty boys would be using it after every bash! :lol:

Seriously though, I find the cleaning very useful, I can check for damage and the inevitable loose screws, put things right and then the little devils are put away ready to go next time.

Scale car wash now thats a good idea. Might be my next project. DI water to keep all the electrics safe too. Get some bottle brushes for the rollers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1