• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Gaming wheel FPV project - IT LIVES!!

everclear1984

I stumbled across a video on YouTube where some guy managed to wire his tx into a gaming wheel and decided it's something I'd like to try for myself. I'm not claiming this to be an original idea and I've even closely copied the equipment he used to keep things as simple as possible. The video I watched wasn't particularly clear and all tutorials I found online use Arduino (I don't even know what that is!) so I thought I'd update this thread as the project progresses. All being well I'll have it up and running mid-week and get some testing done this weekend. Of course I could just end up burning out the wheel and/or tx and be back to square one ^_^

The car I'll be using is a HPI Firestorm, simply because I already own one. I went for a DX3E radio which I picked up for next to nothing, a DX2E would have been preferable, the simpler the better. The reason I went for Spektrum is that the guy in the video spent an hour working out which wires go where and I don't want to have to do the same thing. I opened up a couple of other controllers and the wires were different colours.

First thing's first and the radio has been completely gutted ready to be transplanted into the wheel. I won't bore you with the details of how to do this as it's just a case of removing screws until the whole lot is free. Just remember when opening up the tx that Spektrum like to put screws under stickers!

3b40c2c2d0a82d96cf228d931dff7772.jpg

The wheel should be here on Tuesday so my next update should come Tuesday night/Wednesday morning :)

Edited by everclear1984
  • Like 1

RC Sparks he's always tinkering I think his channel is good fun!

I've watched and I think it's easy enough to do, forget the Arduino that's overcomplicating things!

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

RC Sparks he's always tinkering I think his channel is good fun!

I've watched and I think it's easy enough to do, forget the Arduino that's overcomplicating things!

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

That's the one, I couldn't remember the channel. It looks pretty straight forward, I'm just hoping there are no hidden complications.

No pictures just yet I'm afraid, if I'm honest I got so into setting this thing up last night that I completely forgot to take any! I'm going to tidy the wiring at some point so I'll make sure I snap some then.

Mixed news so far, but it lives! RCSparks mentioned that the throttle is very sensitive... that's an understatement! The lightest touch sets it off and it doesn't seem to want to return to neutral :( I've calibrated it with the ESC and tried to dial it out on the tx's board but nothing seems to stop it, other than running at about 20% power. I've only tested it in my back lane, further testing is definitely needed in an open space.

If anyone has any ideas how to stop it running away then please let me know, I want this thing running properly so I can get the fpv set up. I'll post up a video at some point showing exactly how it's behaving.

I thought he mentioned using either a resistor or different pot?

In terms of neutral I would think it's down to the return spring or some settings on the end points?

24 minutes ago, Gavster29 said:

I thought he mentioned using either a resistor or different pot?

In terms of neutral I would think it's down to the return spring or some settings on the end points?

I'll rewatch the video, maybe he used the pots from the Spektrum radio. I've tried adjusting the end points but no luck so far. I've given it a little test at about 20% power and I can tell it'll be great fun to drive, it feels very cool to steer it with a proper wheel :)

I went to Maplins today and picked up 2 10k potentiometers, fitted them before work and it lives! Just need to find a way to fit the gear which has a D shaped hole onto the round shaft, reassemble and it's good to go!

Edited by everclear1984

IT LIVES! After much tinkering and learning about potentiometers the hard way the wheel and pedals work :ballons: I think I referred to the pots as resistors in at least one of the videos, but you know what I mean :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Smoothybb said:

Love it! Do a few more and you have a mobile race business. Imagine running 6 or 8 at an indoor kart track, all fpv.....

Thinking big, I like it :) Can't wait to get out and give it a proper run this weekend!

The new camera arrived today and after a quick test I'm impressed. No more range issues :) All that's needed now is some FPV goggles but that'll have to wait for another payday.

bc401cec7f9039421fa4818a74d014c4.jpg

Edited by everclear1984

Does that mean that as well as the car and all associated gubbins, you have to take your favourite armchair as well now? !!

(Yeah, I saw the camping chair - actually looks a good idea now!)

Al.

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Does that mean that as well as the car and all associated gubbins, you have to take your favourite armchair as well now? !!

(Yeah, I saw the camping chair - actually looks a good idea now!)

Al.

I might have to buy a small van to transport everything :lol:

I finally got a proper fpv camera and after mounting it in a few positions have decided that this is where it will sit. It meant butchering a body shell but the camera is protected from roll overs and the bumper should protect it from front end hits. An order for goggles will be placed tomorrow then I can finally drive this thing FPV! :)

e2049bd64cfdc86e4bde545568f8f829.jpg

2b66e5a6c0dc8e59e9ebe091089af271.jpg

I've taken some sandpaper to the front of the shell now so it looks much tidier.