• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

in the market for PB battery and charger

newnitroer

Hi, All 

So at the moment I have no car not even started driving lessons yet. So for me its a hour walk (each way) to the main park (cassiobury park) in Watford. My local park is only a 10 minute walk away but its normally filled with dog walkers all day or the local rugby club having a game. Anyone who has ever taken there nitro to cassiobury will know why I am willing to walk that far with a massive hauler bag and shoulder bag behind me the place is massive and you will always be able to find space to drive.

I am looking for a PB battery and charger that is small light weight and will fit in my logic RC shoulder bag having the PB battery will then allow me to spend all day down the park rather than having an hour walk about 2 hours of play time then an hours walk home to change the batteries. I currently have a Hyper charger from Prolux which has a cigrettete lighter socket permanently attached to it so my plan is to get a PB and then a crocodile clip to 12V socket in order to use the charger out in the field will there be any issues doing that.

I have no idea what PB to get as there are so many so please help me out with recommendation of what I should buy I always no idea what charger I should get for it so if you could help me out there as well that would be great.

thanks for all the help again 

Stephen

"PB batteries" and "small and light weight" are not terms normally associated with each other!

First thing, what are you planning to re-charge? Glow starter, receiver, electric starter? As an example, if you were planning on re-charging all three, a PB battery with sufficient capacity would probably be heavier than a spare set of batteries and probably as dear, certainly if you need a charger as well.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against PB, in fact I use several 12v 7ah ones for starter boxes, power panels, etc., but I have a car and don't have to carry them. In fact, just loading them into the car does me in, but I am the wrong side of 70, with some mobility problems.

In your situation, I think I would be looking at the spare battery option.

I am planning on charging 2 EZ start batteries one 1600 mah and one 4700 mah 

2 1600 RX hump packs 

Now that I written that down maybe you are right maybe a few hump packs will do I know the 1600 mah EZ start battery last around 2 hours (would of been longer if I don't have to turn the engine off due to dogs) I only just ordered the 4700 one so no idea how long that will last until it arrives on Tuesday.

Maybe another 2 1600 hump packs to make 4 will be enough or a higher mah rated hump pack any recommendation on good hump packs right now I am using overlanders tornado 1600 which shipped as a package deal with my bullet but I think the S-Maxx servos are more powerful the hump packs are only lasting an hour with the bullet they lasted about 2 sometimes 2 and a half which is why I am thinking that. so recommendations please :D 

EDIT: should also add that I am getting lights as well that run off the RX so please bear that in mind when recommending hump packs I never had lights before so no idea how much of a difference it will make.

Edited by newnitroer
lights

A 12ah battery would probably just about charge them all once, whilst you can get them for about £18, they weigh about 4kg. Have a practice with 4 bags of sugar in your bag!

Your new 4700 should last almost 3 times as long as your 1600, so you are going to have a total of almost 4 times the capacity.

Modelsport have 1600mah "humps" at £9, so two of them would cost about the same as a cheap Pb, but would be an awful lot lighter!

The EZ start runs on a 7.2 NiMH if I remember rightly, I converted mine over to a 5000mah LiPo but haven't used it in anger, if you have lipo batteries already then it's worth a go but if you don't have any lipo stuff it's not worth the investment

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Shudson - Cool thanks will check them out

Gavster29 - I do have a lipo but its used the engine heater and electronics isn't exactly a strong point of mine so I think I will leave that idea alone thanks for the advice though maybe in the future I would consider the conversion

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, dunno if this is still relevant but I have a suggestion. Get yourself a small gel battery (for racing) they are small, much lighter then lead acid, way less dangerous (dropping a lead acid battery is no fun for anyone) and will do everything you need. Usually only about 20-30 Ah but that's still 15-20 charges of a 1600 hump pack.