• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

2 speed projects but what tyres?

Dirt-540

Decided to do a speed project for fun using vintage or old technology parts then I thought Id do a modern speed project too.

My question is what tyres for either?

My vintage project  is a Tamiya TA03 chassis with a few alloy hop ups,  Ripmax unlimited ESC, 6x2 Orion Racing motor (brushed) and the Speed Gear hop up. Theoretically this should give a decent turn of speed. But do I run slicks, semis, foams or full tread?

Eventually I'll do a more modern speed project, chassis yet to be decided and this will be brushless and Lipo set up. Yet again though what tyres, slick, semis, foams, full tread?

Another tjhought that came to mind while thinking this over, was that tyers and wheels need to be pretty true as the vibration would cause handling issues at high speed. So how do you guys make sure theyre true or do you buy them preglued?

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

Ive been thinking the same between other rc thoughts lol. Im not sure what to chase next. But an on road would be cool. I think ide ise the hpi sprint flux 2 chassis as im told it can fly with just gearing changes. It uses a castle motor or did. 5700kv on 3s geared up or 4000kv flux motor really geared up. 

Dodge viper body mayb. Or something from the road and sleek. 

Im intrested to see what a tamiya can do though how fast will you aim for?