• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

0-02-0a-89c693bd87ab482464d3ac3804ade40008b59cad0ab8aa51302471a61c9bf11e_9ec3a095.thumb.jpg.17a308ed4a4eed7067f08d9aaacb5c6f.jpg

One spare just in case. Waiting for delivery of the new servo and the interior i ordered (nothing fancy, just something so in pictures the wires don't flop around, got clear windows) now, then i gotta figure out why two wheels are wobbling or rather which part is bent to replace that too, then it's moving onto detailing. 

Are sport owners allowed in this thread or are we classed as peasants? :lol:

First off I actually specifically chose the sport over the "full fat" version and had it's maiden outing on our holiday to Yorkshire. Now I already have a hobbywing 1080 to go in it but as was going on holiday I didn't want to faf about installing it and setting it up in case something went wrong, I must say it performed very well and no breakages despite the 5 years olds having a go. I ran it box stock apart from changing the traxxas connector to an XT60. 

Shocks performed very well for stock ones and i'm not looking to upgrade those anytime soon. 

Tyres again were good but have a few different ones in my pit box to try. 

Titan motor was OK and didn't run hot but as with the lottery on these it may last 5 runs or 50 before it dies, i'm going to order a holmes hobbies trailmaster sport 21t for it and already have a shurpass 550 27t spare if needed before it arrives.

Servo performed well just had trouble on tight rocks but will be replaced with a powerhd 20kg

4900.jpg

I've also ordered a replacement bumper/light set

4901.jpg

Edited by stretch
  • Like 1

Why would someone class the Sport as "peasant"? It's objectively the better rock crawler. The Defender etc win in the trail running category, when the going isn't as rough and some "speed" and turning radius matter more. And, without being mean, it just looks way better than the Sport. 

The Sport runs circles around the Defender in the rough stuff though. Motor choice is  good, i now run one in my full fat one and it's great. Tyres i went with G8 Hyrax, really like them. Shocks are probably the best RTR shocks next to the Enduro, i'd only change the oil in them (went from 30wt to 10wt, liking it more). 

Other than that: enjoy it, and welcome. :)

I meant as it's not the full fat version and know there are some snobs out there lol (not on msuk) but the reasons I got the sport are exactly as you mentioned. I will probably get a hardbodies toyota at some point as the stock one is a bit basic.

I'm looking to do G6 next year would the holmes 21t be suitable for this or should I go 27/35t?

Edited by stretch

That i wouldn't be able to tell. I got myself the holmes 21t because the Titan in it was 21t as well. I would argue that it very much depends on what you'd need. In my fat one the 21t is plenty strong and precise, i'd argue that 21t would be the sweet spot in the lighter Sport - but that being said, i don't own a Sport (.. yet, probably), so i can only go by what i've read in other forums while researching stuff for the Defender. 

Well my other half has treated me to the bronco and the defender but anyone point me in the best direction to get a scale driver for the bronco and I’m looking for a couple of dogs too if someone knows where to look or is it a case of buying some plastic dogs off eBay and giving them a makeover?

Can anyone here please shed some light for me,i am Intrested in getting the hood on my defender to be able to open and close,i have relocated me servo and motor,now the motor sits directly under where the hood is,i am thinking of some sort of mini hinge system somehow,?[emoji3166]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 04/08/2019 at 13:28, stretch said:

I meant as it's not the full fat version and know there are some snobs out there lol (not on msuk) but the reasons I got the sport are exactly as you mentioned. I will probably get a hardbodies toyota at some point as the stock one is a bit basic.

I'm looking to do G6 next year would the holmes 21t be suitable for this or should I go 27/35t?

Looks great mate, you know your welcome here, still wears the Trx4 label so all good.

to be honest the sport is very desirable and I myself would have had one if it came with the defender shell.

as for the “extras” as you probably know, I have competed with mine from having it, surprisingly the most used is the front diff lock (rear is permanently locked) helps so much when navigating between gates and it will do loads of gates with it unlocked.... the 2 speed is nice if your running 2s, with 3s it’s not needed as much.

the Holmes hobbies 21t is bang on mate and should suit the sport very well. If you want to run 3s then the 35t should achieve the same wheelspeed but with more torque.

my personal choice would be the 21t though. :good:

As for g6, deffo come along mate, be good to meet up and have a brew and a natter :good:

oh yeah, welcome to the club :bounce:

14 hours ago, Wirralnitronoob said:

Can anyone here please shed some light for me,i am Intrested in getting the hood on my defender to be able to open and close,i have relocated me servo and motor,now the motor sits directly under where the hood is,i am thinking of some sort of mini hinge system somehow,?emoji3166.png

Have you tried gcm? I would have thought they would do some kind of opening affair, they do a engine bay already. Rc4wd do some for hinges for the blazer, no idea if they could work?

you can buy small hinges from eBay too, might not be proper scale though???

• Like 2

21 hours ago, horses45 said:

Well my other half has treated me to the bronco and the defender but anyone point me in the best direction to get a scale driver for the bronco and I’m looking for a couple of dogs too if someone knows where to look or is it a case of buying some plastic dogs off eBay and giving them a makeover?

Any 7” wrestling or film figure would work, it turns out to be 6 foot working on 10th scale so would suit nicely.

as for dogs, well I’m not too sure but some of the dolls house stuffs is 1/12 so might work, the sizes (scales) doesn’t matter too much as dogs come in all sizes anyway.

i use the splinter cell figure but don’t know if there’s any out there?

get yourself a brew and scour eBay mate, it’ll be your best bet :good:

5 hours ago, Gaz! said:

Looks great mate, you know your welcome here, still wears the Trx4 label so all good.

to be honest the sport is very desirable and I myself would have had one if it came with the defender shell.

as for the “extras” as you probably know, I have competed with mine from having it, surprisingly the most used is the front diff lock (rear is permanently locked) helps so much when navigating between gates and it will do loads of gates with it unlocked.... the 2 speed is nice if your running 2s, with 3s it’s not needed as much.

the Holmes hobbies 21t is bang on mate and should suit the sport very well. If you want to run 3s then the 35t should achieve the same wheelspeed but with more torque.

my personal choice would be the 21t though. :good:

As for g6, deffo come along mate, be good to meet up and have a brew and a natter :good:

oh yeah, welcome to the club :bounce:

Thanks Gaz, yeah I'm liking the sport, going to change the electrics and go with the 21t Holmes you recommended as my decent lipos are all 2s.

Yep definately going to go to g6 next year and would be great to meet up with you.

• Like 1

No faults, and mine is well abused. That's not to say that there aren't things that are less than stellar, but in regards to reliability (if used within reason), zero issues. As most of them are.

May i ask what your fault was?

Edited by m4inbrain

• 2 weeks later...

So my son and I took our trucks out today and about 25 mins in his stock servo failed. I've added quite a bit of weight up front with a GRC steel axle, ally bumper and beadlocks and this was the first run since - think this may be the cause. 

Has anyone else noticed this after adding weight? Going to replace with a 25kg Power HD and wondering will the stock esc cope? 

The stock servo eventually goes regardless of what you add. It's underpowered and one of the two weak links of the truck (the other being the diff servos, though knock on wood mine are still going). 

I'm running a 46kg servo on a 1080, which if i recall correctly has the same internal BEC. Works fine, no brownouts or glitching. Just keep in mind, whatever servo you get, it "has" to run on 6v, not 7.4. The micro servos in the TRX4 are only rated for 6v and fragile enough without overvolting them, but that's just me personally. 

• Like 1

The stock servo eventually goes regardless of what you add. It's underpowered and one of the two weak links of the truck (the other being the diff servos, though knock on wood mine are still going). 

I'm running a 46kg servo on a 1080, which if i recall correctly has the same internal BEC. Works fine, no brownouts or glitching. Just keep in mind, whatever servo you get, it "has" to run on 6v, not 7.4. The micro servos in the TRX4 are only rated for 6v and fragile enough without overvolting them, but that's just me personally. 

Yep,all my micro servos have died,and the steering servo too,ive left the micro servos as they are in a good gear and locked the diffs luckily,so i changed the steering to a savox,no problems since

• 2 weeks later...