• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Plug wiring (2S Balance to JST)

KevAmiga

Hi all - quick question.

I have been looking at batteries for my Basha Rocksta crawler, and have found this :

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-450mah-2s-65c-lipo-e-flite-compatible-blade-130x-eflb3002s35.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwrO_MBRBxEiwAYJnDLN7Y0HoiD8NlHA1yrlEe8dNgF_fwK7u44xt2c0VGc0-VMN_YfP0OaBoC8v8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Looking at online videos, these seem to be about the biggest one can fit in the battery box of the Rocksta, however the connection is obviously wrong.

Can someone point me in the right direction to wire the "balance style" plug on that battery (apologies i dont know its name) to a standard JST plug for the Rocksta?

Thanks!

Kev

• Like 1

You could, in theory, simply remove the balance plug then snip out the middle blue wire, leaving your post/neg (red/black) to wire on a hat plug.

Two issues you may face....The gauge of wire used for jst is smaller than even these silicone balance tap leads....Secondly, depending on what motor your running, the amp draw from this batt may cause your soldering joins to fail

17 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

You could, in theory, simply remove the balance plug then snip out the middle blue wire, leaving your post/neg (red/black) to wire on a hat plug.

Two issues you may face....The gauge of wire used for jst is smaller than even these silicone balance tap leads....Secondly, depending on what motor your running, the amp draw from this batt may cause your soldering joins to fail

What he said :thumbsup:

From the specs they suggest 0.45A x 65C = 29.25A

So the wire should be able to handle a constant 29 Amps maximum. So base it on that. If you generally pull more amps than that then it needs a re-think :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

You could but I'd say the cable on it would be even thinner than the actual battery one.

1 hour ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

The important factor is what the car esc/motor draws not what the battery can deliver, even a small battery can give out 100's of amps when short circuited.

Well i don't think he's aiming to short it out....

I understand what your saying....The motor/ esc want to draw a certain figure regardless of what the battery can supply...

Although what the battery can actually supply it with is usually limited with the stock battery, in this instance he's upgrading to a high discharge battery, which will obviously supply the motor/ESC with whatever draw it requires...

So in some ways...

Both of the figures for draw and supply are dependant on each other, and as such both figures are important to determine final current supply being fed through the lead.

Edited by Fly In My Soup

38 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Well i don't think he's aiming to short it out....

I understand what your saying....The motor/ esc want to draw a certain figure regardless of what the battery can supply...

Although what the battery can actually supply it with is usually limited with the stock battery, in this instance he's upgrading to a high discharge battery, which will obviously supply the motor/ESC with whatever draw it requires...

So in some ways...

Both of the figures for draw and supply are dependant on each other, and as such both figures are important to determine final current supply being fed through the lead.

Well I didn't think he was ! No need for your sarcasm.

My point is that wire gauge isn't determined by the power that can be supplied but by the power drawn in normal operating circumstances. It's only the power demand that will determine the current drawn.

I disagree with your stock battery statement but I'll bow out here.