• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soldering vape batteries?

NOFX

Has anyone done the above?  My expensive vape batteries have developed dents in the - end. It stops em making contact with the terminals.  I'm gonna try filling the dents with solder. Wish me luck :boredlook:

Just did it :D. I told the misses that if she heard a bang, loads of swearing & the fire alarm goes off, call the services. I'm charging the vape outside now. Justin case :boredlook:

18650 3.7v 3000 mah. They cost me £14 each from the vape shop. & the vape mod takes 2 :crying: . I'm clueless as to how they got dented   . I haven't even dropped that vape much either. We're scraping money together for a little holiday whilst little uns off school.  The prices are sodding ridiculous :boredlook:

It was one of those impressive well stocked places. I went there twice. Went back & it was gone  :boredlook: .    We're pretty broke at the mo..   Gotta give little man a treat during the holidays. He loves pendine.  So I'm trying to save as much as possible.  Haven't even spent anything on Rc for a few months :boredlook:.

https://www.nextdaybatteries.com/products/samsung-25r-2500mah?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=26446861893&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0OeJuMOT1QIVJr7tCh3oLA66EAQYAiABEgK2ZfD_BwE

If that's £4 a pair then that's an absolute steal.

I've never bothered trying to directly solder to a battery as I was under the impression it wouldn't stick but that's good to know you've had success :)

I have soldered to some old ex laptop 18650's that still had remains of the nickel tabs that they weld on them and it didn't seem to do any harm though :thumbsup:

Cheers guys. Looks like they won't go poooftt!!! While I'm vaping.  But I'll shell out for some new ones. I was as quick as possible when soldering em  ( forthe reasons mentioned in the video) . They've been charging outside for a couple of hours with out getting hot.  So I might be in luck ;)

• 3 years later...

Why do people do this? It is kind of risky to do this stuff. I might be wrong, but when the battery is not working properly get the one that works and that is the new one. For example when my vape battery is not working well I get the new one from https://www.vaporsolo.com/sony-vtc6-18650-3000mah-15a-battery/ and the one I got there lasts me for 2 years now. It is an awesome battery from made by Sony. I don't know, people like to experiment with vape and then you read the news about vape battery exploding. News like that make non vapers hate vape even more.

Edited by DavidAmos

Check out 18650.com too for cells, they have some good deals and won't sell cheap Chinese/cast off cells.

Soldering is ok, I solder hot with up to 380C on the tip and have a sponge next me to cool straight away, if the solder allows then I have soldered at 320C. The tops are not too bad to solder as these stand off from the interior fabric of the cell but the bottom is in contact and is where the damage can occur. Scratch the bottom of the cell with a file or alike, clean the cell with solvent and solder as quick as you can. I try for less than 2 seconds contact time, if it doesn't work or isn't  in the correct place, stop and cool the cell and try again.

Lead solder is better too, just don't inhale. 😜