• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everyone's buying short course trucks

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Very nice but... The serpent is over 400 usd delivered / vat paid from amain, not sure if there is a euro dist' but even if there is it's hardly fair to compare it to a 60 quid (on sale) turnigy.

Why would i afford the turnigy that lenience ??

A 1/10 scale SCT  Vs  a 1/10 SCT is indeed comparable...

The comparison in this case would be the difference between £60 worth of SCT and the serpent as a base model, what components where used, in what is really a standard SCT platform

(P.s this is indeed the more expensive SC model of Spyder, compared to the cheaper RM version)

The RM version can be had new for $234( £170 ish) the sc can be had rtr for $325 (£250) minus delivery

Also don't forget, i bought the serpent used @ £60.

It needs a new diff @ £45, but i did get a P.refund of £21 towards the new diff.

So at present the cost difference is negligible for me anyway

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Been out again today, rain halted play....

So made up some lights from some Cree led boards, both came from little AA battery powered torches that where both broken.

After disassemble of the torches i found both boards which the exact same spec,size etc so took them out...

Re wired, waterproofed and added a resistor and there now running well on 1 x 550mah 20c tiny 1s battery ive had spare from a toy for ages.

I can simply charge the 1s batt on my lipo charger then leave wired in situ...Both light boards have their own push button switch...I will have to remove the battery to recharge but it should last a while before needing to be charged (currently charged at 75%)

Whole thing weighs few grams, cost of just some time...

Discreet...

ZsdQ6dr.jpg

zdABy6t.jpg

7zNXoyX.jpg

In use

Kte9tHc.jpg

U2KOwMD.jpg

CiETpL4.jpg

They seem to throw light everywhere so may add some roof spots for extended frontal vision soon..

• Like 1

Been out again today, rain halted play....

So made up some lights from some Cree led boards, both came from little AA battery powered torches that where both broken.

After disassemble of the torches i found both boards which the exact same spec,size etc so took them out...

Re wired, waterproofed and added a resistor and there now running well on 1 x 550mah 20c tiny 1s battery ive had spare from a toy for ages.

I can simply charge the 1s batt on my lipo charger then leave wired in situ...Both light boards have their own push button switch...I will have to remove the battery to recharge but it should last a while before needing to be charged (currently charged at 75%)

Whole thing weighs few grams, cost of just some time...

Discreet...
ZsdQ6dr.jpg
zdABy6t.jpg
7zNXoyX.jpg

In use

Kte9tHc.jpg
U2KOwMD.jpg
CiETpL4.jpg

They seem to throw light everywhere so may add some roof spots for extended frontal vision soon..

They look sweet mate, this thread is really not helping me to resist buying an SC! Gonna have to stick some lights on the boys Bigfoot I think tho [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deafty said:

Hi fellas. 

Re:Serpent

Serpent UK tor parts or message me 

Put a gear diff in ya srx ;)

Funny enough dude, i did ask that question recently....As the price is very similar

What would i gain from a gear diff?

Got no reply so bought a stock ball diff....Although it seems to have got lost in transit..

So if i end up purchasing again, should i opt for the gear over the ball??

Gear diff for sure.

Less maintenance, easier and far more reliable.  Alternatively get the carbide balls for ya ball diff.

If you have bookface then https://www.facebook.com/groups/SerpentSpyderSC/

http://www.serpentuk.com/

For local spares.  Have a word to Tony ;)

http://www.speedshop24.com/

They are the Eu supplier ;) from germany.

sadly I just sold 3 diffs last week and have only my personal spare.  Sry dude but Ihadn't seen this thread for a few weeks :(

What motor are you running?

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

Serpent spyder update;

So this is how it's supposed to look, see pic below of main gear with integrated holes for balls sit in (no pun intended)

ser500186.jpg

Here's mine......:D

What you can see in the second pic is the ball bearings melted into the moulded inner gear casing (or whats left of it)

51j9dId.jpg

kvi4HDZ.jpg

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Now waiting on a gear diff...

Stripped rear of serpent again tonight, in the hopes to get this going for now...

Setting this ball diff up so it doesn't slip is proving to be a nightmare...

Anyone else know where to get a set of carbide balls and ceramic thrust balls.???

cMwXdNM.jpg

rOgHlqZ.jpg

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Well after taking the turnigy out again yesterday there was the obligatory damage to sort out.

She's now snapped two hinge pins and bent another....

All at the rear...

As you can see I've plated one side of the rear already, this moved the stress along to the other side of the hinge pin and nicely Rounded out a hole in the chassis.....Now this side is plastic...No upgrades/alloy hinge pin holders available as the hole is in the chassis itself on this side...

x2gxnZ5.jpg

So had to get creative again!

To enable me to 'capture' the hinge pin in a solid metal ring on this side aswell ( to compensate for the plastic hole being smushed at the entrance...) I was toying with the idea of glueing a washer to the chassis...Thus preventing any more issues....

T9XEY9i.jpg

LHU0lGa.jpg

Binned the washer idea in favour of a peice of Meccano!

mXx7C17.jpg

Had to shave down a skid bump on one side and cut a notch for the plate, with a razor blade of course, quick sand and holes drilled and the plate is fitted to chassis...

HXeA6cW.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet video dude [emoji1303] how difficult was it to make that roll cage? Bare in mind I wouldn't know where to start lol!

I'd like to put one on my Slash to protect the lovely shell it came with [emoji846]

Ahhh mate it's literally two alu tube rods bent into shape, bolted at the back to the shock tower and bolted and ziptied at the front onto the chassis....

It took like 5minutes....Tops...Just a quick cheap fix..It's more to protect the ESC from rough and tumble

Just pop down the homebase etc and grab a 1mtre section of aluminium tube rod @£5

P.s if your planning on welding it, get steel, alu is poop for welding.

Alu needs bolting together for complex designs...

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 2

Ahhh mate it's literally two alu tube rods bent into shape, bolted at the back to the shock tower and bolted and ziptied at the front onto the chassis....

It took like 5minutes....Tops...Just a quick cheap fix..It's more to protect the ESC from rough and tumble

Just pop down the homebase etc and grab a 1mtre section of aluminium tube rod @£5

P.s if your planning on welding it, get steel, alu is poop for welding.

Alu needs bolting together for complex designs...

And there was me thinking it would be technical [emoji23]

I won't be welding so I might pop down there this weekend and get a few lengths just to muck about with [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1