• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First tamiya CC01. Any tips appreciated.

Hi ive found my 2nd kids rc she'll be 3 in july shes played with her sisters scx10 but badly just throttle and laugh lol. Like her sister at first but she'll soon get it, she shows me new tricks my phone does lol. 

Tamiya cc01 fj cruiser. 

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282526603959

I think it was a good price i was going to order new kit yesterday but realised i couldn't just build a kit ide have to build it with bearings and other mods from the off. I was soon thinking 200+ but only raised 150 through sales of old stuff. My sacrifice her gain lol. But this will bring me more joy than a box of stuff i hardly even see never mind use. Im visualising rc barbie tig. Tag whichever. Or baloon popping games. 

Im going to need bearings still but since its rtr ill wait. Right now i want to swap the body its very nice would be perfect if it was a better colour for a girl. So im gonna get a new one painted quickly in yellow or red. Or watever colour she says next lol. Yellow is the 5th. 

Is this chsssis a lwb version, so only certain bodies fit without modding length ide rather lwb same as the scx10 tho. So vw twin cab or fj cruiser are the options? Fj probably its girly looking. Just not in black lol. 

I repainted a body once never again. 

Decided to make the black body into a police cruiser from zootopia one of her fav movies. This body is almost already it. It just needs a white Z pattern on the doors and a police light. Mayb sound box at £10. She can hunt down her sis then. I dont need to bother with new body result. 

I got this light as it looks identical to the movie car.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-10-scale-police-light-bar.html

I tried to buy another alloy light it said make an offer so i made 3. Since really no offers welcome. Only 50p off actually went through and he counterd that lol. Gladly as its not as good as this one. 

Next is police sound unit mayb lol. But it looks like this will be 2ch at first till she can fit a std size radio. The cc01 should be here today now ive done some reading i couldnt be happier with it. The chrome details pop it off nicly. Black edition std parts mayb. Looks girlier which is great. 

I seen a 4 link suspension upgrade is that worth doing it looka great. 

Cc01 just pulled up lol. Unboxed and it looks perfect although issues in design or build mayb. 

Rear shock action isnt much. Front has more travel lol. 

Steering feels like 60% at most. The servo horn was nr vertical on full left lock. Or right lol. So hopfully recentering it works. 

Edited by RCbutcher

• 1 month later...

Haha the kids showing phone tricks, reminds me how my first boy shown me you can do 4 fingers gestures on the iPad lol She is probably already rearranging your icons, including deleting what you dont need.

My youngest is 3yo and what works with him is I do the throttle and he does the steering (on a Tamiya Lunchbox). I can make sure he does not crash it and I set the throttle limit to like 25% anyways (so his older brother can play with it too).

A zootopia FJ sounds cool :) I'm sure she'll love it, make sure to post some pics. Never had a CC-01 but I hear they are a nice customizable and fun platform if you use it for what it is made, trails and not crazy crawling stuff.

• Like 1

Hi yeah these kids are built for tech . Theyll bulld us some good toys one day in return lol. Augmented reality or something.  

The cc01 is brilliant ive ignored tamiya tbh but liked afew just got the traxxas instead. But the cc01 is perfect its smaller neater design. No trapped fingers hopefully. Ive since put a 50t motor into it which is now perfect but has no reverse when power limited. 100% power it still hunts down the scx10 in seconds. Rolls it over with ease the big wobbly mess it now is lom. I put cheap shocks on the scx now its a comedy truck. 

They was out for an hour with them yesterday run time amazed me. Longest run by far. 

20170724_003123_zpswbcom3vp.jpg

20170724_003212_zps0ilfd1ik.jpg

I shoe goo'd it up around the edges too feels much better was flimsy tbh. I trust it now tho. 

20170723_160959_zpsojbwdjba.jpg

20170723_160809_zpsiwfhyzi3.jpg

Next job is to neaten up the led kit and power it up. It taps into the nihm atm which i dont like. 

20170724_003907_zpszgddiyc7.jpg

Oh the goo isnt finished in those pics just tacked in. I still need the stickers sorting too getting desperate too not finding any. Just need simple white bold police letters. Vynal cut hopfully. 

Im diy with led kits but this came with that kit. I plan on redoing it neater E config if possible. Is that tamiya led box a good one ive not had one before. It has tons of sockets. 

Edited by RCbutcher

Is the steering set up right? 

Or could i gain more throw with a better servo horn and placement. As is hardly any steering and full lock one way looks over extended. Like the scx10 does servo gets jammed full lock. This doesn't but feels like its close to binding.

Edited by RCbutcher

• 5 weeks later...

You appear to be using the stock steering rack, so no, it isn't set up right. The correct setup involves binning the stock arrangement and replacing it with a ballraced alloy rack from GPM, Yeah Racing or similar, or machining your own if you have the skills and tools to do so. The stock plastic items are the CC-01's Achilles's heel - a poor design that never works well no matter how carefully assembled.

Thanks mate ill look out for that. Gmp does it add more throw? 

Ive seen the 4 link kit and like it but unsure cos i cant go nuts with it. Steering and suspension are things ide like to improve tho. Elecs seem perfect for this. Too fast if anything but dialed down eliminates reverse. Small sacrifice atm tho.