• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New member of the house.

HellaFlush

Hey all. 

Thought i'd show you what I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. Decided that I didn't like my Hyper ST all that much anymore, cracking truggy. Just had connection to it really. Didn't enjoy it as much as I would have thought. So I went back to my roots when this came up for sale and I managed to get it pretty cheap. 

It's a Hong Nor X1 CRT PRO with a few aftermarket upgrades like;

- CNC front and rear hubs + steering kuckles

- Fioroni front and rear CNC shock towers (Really love these, they're so beefy) 

- Hyper Spider centre diff (Because why not if you can right?) 

Have basically taken the middle bit out of my Hyper and transplanted it onto this chassis. I much much prefer the way these handle and look over almost any other truggy. Everything is so more and beefy. Half way through putting all new hardware in so far I have done all the screws holding everything to the chassis with A4 stainless gear, same with shock towers and most centre stuff. I love trying to put cap head screws in as many places as I can as they have a bigger hex than anything else and they look amazing. Has been completely rebuilt from top to bottom.  

When funds allow I plan on getting a Hobbywing ESC (Ideally another Max 6, although a 150a will be great still) and a Leopard 4282 2000KV motor as i'm only gonna be on 4S the 1700KV at the moment is a bit too slow for my needs and can't really gear it up to what I want due to it being a 4274 can. 

20170602_201100_zps9h42omhc.jpg

20170602_201214_zpsyvzrazoj.jpg

20170602_201227_zpsbftvn1rl.jpg

20170602_201208_zpspwq0ke0z.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting project. Love the shock towers.  You say its more beefy than other truggy's but doesn't look that much sturdier, if any, than an ST Pro, well at least from the pics. Where do you reckon its stronger then?

Out of interest, why would someone 'rate' a topic such as this 1/5???  Doesn't make any sense to me... :unsure:

Love those towers, been after a usable set for a long time (or even new ones!).  Very jealous.

Did you bolt the Hyper assemble straight in?  I had custom mounts made for mine as the HN spacing is slightly different, and dropping the 52t ST diff in lower down meant the it protruded out the bottom of the chassis - a no no for the track and finger safety - so a custom centre skid plate was made.

Assuming your mount is a 'stock' absima' type your going to be a little limited with pinion sizes too.

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Interesting project. Love the shock towers.  You say its more beefy than other truggy's but doesn't look that much sturdier, if any, than an ST Pro, well at least from the pics. Where do you reckon its stronger then?

Out of interest, why would someone 'rate' a topic such as this 1/5???  Doesn't make any sense to me... :unsure:

Not a lot in it in my experience of both.  Later HN have true big bore shocks, much better than the ST's.  Stock towers on the HN Pro are milled from billet alloy too, not cast like the newer ST PRo's (only my opinion - can't find a definitive answer).  HN's stock front knuckles use a captive bolt system - unlike the ST's where it is possible, though unusual if looked after, to strip the threads out of them.

ST Pro has benefits over the X1 - diff ratio's - the X1 CRT uses buggy ratio 3.3 diff's - so there much harder to 'turn' than the ST's usual truggy 4.5 (thereabouts) - hence the X1 CRT has a stock monster 64t centre spur and you will see ST's with 2000kv plus motors - my X1 and Matt's first one - run 1600kv 4082 leopard's - I have got away with the Hobbywing 4274 blue can 1800kv in mine but have to be careful with it - badlands cause it to get quite warm.

Hmmm... interesting, I assume the ST shocks are pretty much the same as those on my H7?  They don't seem too bad to me, but maybe the extra weight of a truggy is enough to stretch them beyond their normal limits?

1 hour ago, bertberr said:

Hmmm... interesting, I assume the ST shocks are pretty much the same as those on my H7?  They don't seem too bad to me, but maybe the extra weight of a truggy is enough to stretch them beyond their normal limits?

Yh there the same as the ones ont he 7, and not bad by any means.

5 hours ago, bertberr said:

Personally I feel almost everything alloy is stronger as it's a higher grade of ally. I believe most stuff is 7076 on the pro spec hong nors. Where as most stuff is 6061 or cast on the Hyper. (Again just from what i've read) Plus I feel like it's just a better design and construction over the Hyper. In the real world there is probably no difference at all, but I feel like I have a lot more confidence in the HN. 

4 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Love those towers, been after a usable set for a long time (or even new ones!).  Very jealous.

Did you bolt the Hyper assemble straight in?  I had custom mounts made for mine as the HN spacing is slightly different, and dropping the 52t ST diff in lower down meant the it protruded out the bottom of the chassis - a no no for the track and finger safety - so a custom centre skid plate was made.

Assuming your mount is a 'stock' absima' type your going to be a little limited with pinion sizes too.

Not a lot in it in my experience of both.  Later HN have true big bore shocks, much better than the ST's.  Stock towers on the HN Pro are milled from billet alloy too, not cast like the newer ST PRo's (only my opinion - can't find a definitive answer).  HN's stock front knuckles use a captive bolt system - unlike the ST's where it is possible, though unusual if looked after, to strip the threads out of them.

ST Pro has benefits over the X1 - diff ratio's - the X1 CRT uses buggy ratio 3.3 diff's - so there much harder to 'turn' than the ST's usual truggy 4.5 (thereabouts) - hence the X1 CRT has a stock monster 64t centre spur and you will see ST's with 2000kv plus motors - my X1 and Matt's first one - run 1600kv 4082 leopard's - I have got away with the Hobbywing 4274 blue can 1800kv in mine but have to be careful with it - badlands cause it to get quite warm.

So do I! I almost bought a pair when I had that custom chassied X1 before. But couldn't justify the cost for the gain. They're in pretty much mint condition with just a tiny bit of material taken off the tips from roll overs. Looks like just the anodizing has come off to be honest. 

The centre diff holes are for the 4mm screws so I just took a 4.5mm bit and ran it through them square and it is just enough to be able to get all 4 screws in all the way. It's not a perfect fit, but i'm more than confident it's not going anywhere. 

Yeah i'm crying out for another MFP mount or something equal to it. Just a crappy mount I had in the draw lying around for years. Currently running a 16t pinny, 47t spur and standard diffs with the 1700KV motor. Goes alright but does get a bit hot :/ 

1 hour ago, HellaFlush said:

Personally I feel almost everything alloy is stronger as it's a higher grade of ally. I believe most stuff is 7076 on the pro spec hong nors. Where as most stuff is 6061 or cast on the Hyper. (Again just from what i've read) Plus I feel like it's just a better design and construction over the Hyper. In the real world there is probably no difference at all, but I feel like I have a lot more confidence in the HN. 

So do I! I almost bought a pair when I had that custom chassied X1 before. But couldn't justify the cost for the gain. They're in pretty much mint condition with just a tiny bit of material taken off the tips from roll overs. Looks like just the anodizing has come off to be honest. 

The centre diff holes are for the 4mm screws so I just took a 4.5mm bit and ran it through them square and it is just enough to be able to get all 4 screws in all the way. It's not a perfect fit, but i'm more than confident it's not going anywhere. 

Yeah i'm crying out for another MFP mount or something equal to it. Just a crappy mount I had in the draw lying around for years. Currently running a 16t pinny, 47t spur and standard diffs with the 1700KV motor. Goes alright but does get a bit hot :/ 

Spur too small.  Swap it for the 52t from the ST.  I do have a spare ST Pro mount here, but it's made to utilise the ST's centre brace so it has a leg off to the side that's longer tha the centre diff mounts themselves.  I've been waiting on a 7 to use it, by grinding the leg down level with the dremel.  I looked at using the ST's centre brace in my X1, I can't quit remember why I opted not to, but did but one from the RTR to offer up.  Benefit of not doing is keeping the CoG as low as possible though.