• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Engine bogs down + leans out then stops

mainstreet

Hi

Took my MCD out today and its been running well, no issues at all. After a couple of mins it it started to bog down under WOT. Soon after that  you could hear it lean out at idle and then stop. Restarting proved tricky, as the only it would start would be by re-priming the carb (although it would only reprime if the car was on an angle even though it had about 1/3 full of fuel)  It would then run for a couple of mins then the same issue would occur; bogging down, lean at idle then stop. Any ideas?

The video below is just after initial startup, and at about 29 secs in, it starts to bog, but only slightly, later on it got worse.

• Like 1

from your "(although it would only reprime if the car was on an angle even though it had about 1/3 full of fuel)" i would say the pipe to the carb are the wrong way round.

The pipe with the filter on the end that sits in the tank goes to the bottom of the carb. the other (return) pipe goes to the top and should sit in the tank by 50mm or so 

Hi, the pipes are in their correct places, the clunk in the tank is connected to the bottom carb inlet. Bit odd really as it was running fast the other week

• Like 1

its hard to tell if this problem comes on as you were driving straight away.

i would give the tank cap a good clean

go over the fuel lines see if they looking good and what not

check around the gaskets to see if theres anything abnormal

does the carb air purge/ primer bulb remain full and doesn't drain fuel ?   

Silly question - how old is the fuel?

What mix is it?

Almost sounds like it's oiling the plug by the description.

(Going to watch the video now.)

Al.

I had an extremely similar issue last year on my kyosho arc.

Mysterious bog appeared after it was running ok, gradually got worse over a week or so, then became difficult to start, would idle OK but immediate bog on throttle.

My issue starts halfway through second thread page.

I checked umpteen things, including all of the above and much more (shifted carb gaskets etc etc), then focused on carb itself, stripped it, inspected diaphragm, jets etc,  cleaned it, still no luck, bought a new carb, and hey presto ran like a champ.

My moneys on carb

14 hours ago, mainstreet said:

Will do. No the bulb will drain when the engine is running

Okay in that case its going to be carb orientated,

have another look at the fuel lines to make sure there no cracks/ leaking.

then i would take the carb of give her a clean through the jets and screen filter preferably with carb cleaner or brake..

clean of all the gaskets and diaphragm with WD40/GT85 (dont use carb cleaner as it will dry and degrade the diaphragm)

have a good look and the diaphragm to see if it looked disfigured/ stretched. if so replace and try to start her same goes for if its okay as the jets/filter could be blocked.    

• Like 1

First off refill the tank see if any difference, I'd also say vent in fuel cap blocked

But fill tank 1st then rule out fuel starvation as could just be feed pipe needs

pushing in little more

27 minutes ago, marder said:

First off refill the tank see if any difference, I'd also say vent in fuel cap blocked

But fill tank 1st then rule out fuel starvation as could just be feed pipe needs

pushing in little more

Where assuming op checked fuel tank to ensure its full of enough fuel.....?

Took it out for another spin today, seems to be running well. A slight mishap with a tree stump suddenly made it front wheel drive :(

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOKpMBA2qsLMn9S_Co5uCVrvOk1rSnB4n7jbL8YDonAMHnwfEdR0-rzDIROUpW1tw?key=SmVqWnBUQzVsVGZvVFRkb3Nhd3o5S293UE0yeXZn

Edited by mainstreet