• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ESC Link Leads and software

Hi,

I have two Vorzas one with a HPI ELC-6s HPI esc and other with Mamba Monster Truck 1/8 esc (possibly faulty). Is there a USB link adaptor that will connect and update both esc's, or do I have to get a HPI one and the Mamba version.? Which versions do I need? 

Any help much appreciated here. THanks

Most likely you'd be able to program both via 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle-link-v3-usb-adaptor/rc-car-products/418810

if i recall correctly, that ELC-6s is a rebranded Castle Monster Mamba II. 

edit: yup it is, so the Castle Link v3 will update/read both.

Edited by m4inbrain

10 minutes ago, RoadRunner10 said:

Hi,

I have two Vorzas one with a HPI ELC-6s HPI esc and other with Mamba Monster Truck 1/8 esc (possibly faulty). Is there a USB link adaptor that will connect and update both esc's, or do I have to get a HPI one and the Mamba version.? Which versions do I need? 

Any help much appreciated here. THanks

I'm far from an expert on brushless esc's, but i think you need a separate link for each

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

I'm far from an expert on brushless esc's, but i think you need a separate link for each

No, the Castle Link v3 will do both, as both are Castle ESCs. @RoadRunner10

Edited by m4inbrain

2 minutes ago, RoadRunner10 said:

The ELC-6s is not a HPI ESC, that's why. 

HPI only stuck their name on it, it actually is a rebranded Castle Monster Mamba 2. The same goes for example for Axial, in their Yeti they have a weirdly named ESC, which in reality is also just a rebranded Castle ESC that you program via Castle Link.

Again, i'm 100% sure that you'll be able to program it.

It's actually not even rebranded, it says HPI Castle Link there. ;)

It's just an older variant.

In this thread someone's using a Castle Link for the Vorza ESC, there's no worries. If RR10 is from the cardiff area, he can come over and try mine if he wants.

See here:

113126_113126_01n_800_600.jpg

77457.jpg

Apart from the stickers it's the same ESC, namely a Castle Monster Mamba 2. Meaning both run Castle Software, as i've not yet heard of a rebranded ESC that runs a different/incompatible firmware to the original ESC. It's a common occurrence - my Losi for example uses a Dynamite ESC, which gets programmed via Castle Link as well (it's a rebranded Castle Somethingorother). 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Not just Castle. :D

The Dynamite Fuze in my XXL2e is a castle product, but for example, the Losi Baja Rey comes with a rebranded Hobbywing WP SC8 if i recall correctly. The Arrma ESCs in the Kraton are called "Arrma BLX180", but are in fact rebranded Hobbywing Max8 - which are programmable via the Hobbywing Programming Box thingy. 

I think it's rather rare that a manufacturer actually uses a "home-designed" ESC. The HPI Flux system for example is also designed by Castle, some Traxxas systems are, etc.

The shift of using 'off the shelf" components, in lieu of in house manufactured has infected all areas of industry, retail etc in the endless pursuit of profit.

Makes good business sense in profit terms, why develop your own ESC at a cost of X per unit, when you can simply bulk buy off the shelf premade units at a much lower cost per unit, thus providing more profit per model sold via this method.

Partnering with a prolific rc motor manufacturer like castle would also increase market both companies market share within the hobby, as both would share a market base as opposed to competing against each other.

The only issue being a loss of quality control in components sourced externally, I hear good things about castle though!

Edited by Fly In My Soup

Actually, that's not entirely correct.

Take for example Axial and Losi. Both use the same ESC in their "big stuff", in my case the XXL2e, and for Axial in the Yeti XL, or rather, a rebrand of the same ESC. The Losi (called Dynamite there) is actually higher rated. It allegedly (i never opened any ESCs, so i can only go by what other people who did said) uses higher quality components. Showcased between the XXL2e and the Yeti XL, one of which is known for a lot of ESC problems, the other, despite being the heavier vehicle with bigger wheels, has virtually none. I don't think they buy the actual ESCs, i think they build them in license. 

Which would explain for example why the Hobbywing WP SC8 (well known, well loved ESC) is rated 120a - but the rebranded Dynamite version of it is rated at 130a (Baja Rey etc). That's what is being told anyway, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't think they buy them in bulk though, i do think they get to build/order them in license. Depending on where they let them produce, you get differences in quality.

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

i think they build them in license. 

Your getting confused.

They're purchasing off the shelf products, then modifying that existing product , usually with upgraded FETs.

I don't think they buy the actual ESCs, i think they build them in license. 

I don't think they buy them in bulk though, i do think they get to build/order them in license. Depending on where they let them produce, you get differences in quality.

I can assure you a company that buys off the shelf products buy them in bulk

Close enough then. :D

What i was trying to say is that there can be differences between the original ESC and a rebranded one, at least in regards to quality of components. I stand corrected, partially, since the quintessence was there - different quality in components. 

• Like 1

Too bad, but again, no need to worry - the Castle Link v3 will read both. Older ones too, it's just the v3 is the most recent iteration.