• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Budget road car chassis

stevepeanut

I want to build a 1/10 road car based on a BMW e30. This might be an odd way to do it, but I've ordered this hpi shell first and I don't have a chassis. I don't plan to race or anything like that, just occasional car park use. I'm after suggestions for a road / touring chassis. I want to keep the chassis cost under £100, new or used I don't mind. Are these Tamiya TT-01 any good for the money?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-RC-New-Tamiya-TT01-Type-E-Chassis-Unbuilt-Kit-TT01E-TT01-TT-01-/361927330304?hash=item54448cca00:g:G~oAAOSw2gxYwH0y

IMG_1532.PNG

Not sure what HPI did with this shell, but generally 1/10 on-road shells are either 190 or 200 mm wide.

Do you remember what yours is?

Need to get a chassis to match.

If you have a 190 mm shell, it's pointless getting a 200 mm wide chassis, for example.

Al.

Does the shell come with mount holes, or just dimples?

It's years since I had an HPI shell. I think they're dimples, so you drill where necessary.

Might be another factor in your chassis selection.

Al.

Just gone back in again and read the spec, it says it has dimple marks. It also says it fits 200mm chassis as standard but will work fine on a 190mm chassis with wide offset wheels.

At least this way round with it being 200mm I have an option of making it work if I do get a 190mm chassis, if it was a 190mm body I'd imagine it wouldn't ever work on a 200mm chassis.

The TT-01 or TT-02 would be good options then - both are within budget, and both have optional long axles that will help bring the width a bit closer to the 200mm required.

You do know that Tamiya themselves make an E30 shell that is more detailed than the HPI and a perfect fit for a 190mm touring chassis?

I have ended up buying a maverick strada drift car. I'm local to rc model shop direct, they have a permanent drift track so I thought why not get a drift car and use the shell on that. The maverick is also 200mm wide so the shell will fit straight on.

• Like 1