• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage - good first buggy choice?

TheTwig

Just don't forget to tape up the carnage body or else it starts to fall apart when you roll. Sway bars helped me a lot. I've also upgraded to carbon shock towers and aluminium body posts as i was fed up with those snapping all the time. 

A particular low point for me was when i broke the chassis... I haven't really took it out since and i've yet to swap over to the new chassis... 

Blimey, thanks for all the comments - a lot to take in... (special thanks for the offer of spares, very generous)

On the face of it, you seem to agree that the Carnage may be slightly more robust of the FTXs - I guess it gets a bit more protection from clearance, bigger tyres, bumper and shell. All slight differences that I can see add up. Could be a goer.

I thought I'd be in and out here, seeking validation from the experienced before I jump in and buy the first car I see (the Vantage), but of course these things are always a minefield if you get drawn in, and I've been looking around to see what else there is for the money... probably a bad idea, as all I can go on is the price and nothing else.

As a cyclist, when buying a bike on a budget, I would always go for a good frame built up with cheap parts and upgrade hose bits as they broke or wore out to end up a better bike eventually. I just don't know what the RC equivalent of that  is...

So to throw in a few more cars I can afford, and why I've singled them out...

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-ulmita-rb6-readyset-ep-2wd/rc-car-products/379261 (heard kyosho are good - a friend's brother is sponsored by them)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-rustler-xl-5wp-rtr-2.4ghz-tq-blue-/rc-car-products/387920 (looks like robust fun, possibly a bit too 'monster truck' for my son - can it take a buggy body shell ?)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/losi-mini-8ight-t-rtr-maifield-edition-1-14-4wd-truggy/rc-car-products/396537  (it's a bit smaller, but I don't think I care... we started off looking at Mini-Zs to replace my son's rubbish indoor toy remote cars. I like the sound of the build quality and handling, but it could be a pig to fix for all I know)

We think they all look awesome, seen the videos and maybe we should probably just go with the one we think looks the prettiest (unless they all make you scream "NOOOooo!!").

I guess if there is a stand-out jackpot best buy here for performance, robustness, workability or upgradability (me more than my son tbh) then it would be good to know. 

Sorry for leading you all a merry dance, but I'm guessing you don't really mind the subject matter or you wouldn't be here... it's really great to read all your comments and try and learn something.

The Mini-8T is barely smaller than a 1/10th buggy and in fact the wheels are the same diameter so it can go pretty much all the same places. It does use micro scale electrics though which are a bit overstressed in such a big car.

The Rustler is a popular model - if you prefer a buggy it has a brother in the Bandit but I'm not sure the Bandit shell fits the Rustler. Either way they are fairly tough out of the box and with a few aftermarket parts virtually bombproof. That said they are overpriced for what you get and if you want the truck version the HPI Firestorm is a better model all round. Unlike the Rustler it needs no upgrades at all to be nigh on indestructible, it has better handling than the Rustler too.

The Ultima is a superb package for the price and is upgradable all the way to full RB6.6 spec if you want (and are willing to spend a LOT of money) but it is more of a race orientated design than a pure basher. Not that it can't be used that way of course, they are quite tough etc but it has a lot more setup options, tweaks and tuning to make it work. That means you can dial it to handle really well, but it also means if you mess the setting up you get an undrivable pig. Its a great car, the best of the buggies you've suggested in fact, but one that takes a lot more work on you behalf to get the best of. In contrast the Firestorm especially is pretty much buy and forget. Aside from upgrading to brushless later it requires no tweaks, upgrades etc and little maintenance. 

Heres a real left field option to look at - http://answer-rc.com/en/4634-sworkz-fox-4x4e-cage-buggy-rtr.html

• Like 1

I wouldnt completely rule the vantage out as for all the negatives there are a load of positives, in fact when I was in your position searching I found a lot of praise for the car and the brand, and as Si-coe puts it sometimes you just get a "friday car",  but I suppose thats true of most brands.  I was at my Local Hobby store today looking at a few entry level cars and the shop owner reckons that the FTX Bugsta is quite fun and durable as a first hoby rc car. and its pretty cheap-ish

• Like 1

If budget stretched then the Firestorm is the easy choice - add a t-bone front bumper and the thing is as robust as 1:10 plastic fantastics come.  Personally I don't like easy choices so when doing the same as you I opted for a Maverick Strada (I got a clone to save even more £).

Unlike the FTX it's plastics are on the soft side - so break less bashing but makes it not such a responsive drive.  Parts for them are cheap and plentiful - and there are lots of hop ups avail for literally a few pounds - all that's 'needed' is the cbc towers and alloy front hubs.  Mine's the SCT, it's an odd size so quite small compared to a 'normal' 1:10 SCT.  The truggy is a nice buy too, i'm not fussed with 1:10 buggy's personally and the truck is the only one i'd avoid - it has a design flaw that's not easily solved.  

I'm so grateful for all of your input and advice, appraisals of my suggestions and the fact that you haven't just tried to make me spend more money but instead had the patience to indulge someone who only wants to drop sub-£200 on a buggy - that must be peanuts compared to what some of you have spent in your time.

My impatient and wise-beyond-his-years son has said to me tonight: "stop faffing about and get the one I already told you I liked. If you want a different one, just get your own!" Okay he can be a spoiled brat too, but he made a very good point...

It made me realise that I was starting to make it about me a little bit, in my search for the perfect RC for me instead of him.

I'm definitely getting a Vantage because that's what he chose, a brushed one because he (we) will be able to handle it better at first. We'll get up and running with that, then if and when I want another to join in with him as I mentioned earlier - instead of another Vantage, I can get myself a Firestorm or Ultima or whatever I want :D. I'd already said we'd probably end up with two, I just hadn't joined the dots on the logic.

So I hope you don't feel your words are wasted by me going back to the car I mentioned right at the start, because when I get MINE (hehe) I can go back to my bookmarked list from this thread and half my research is done. Can't believe I didn't think of that earlier, but then I just wanted to get the best value etc. and I do like a bit of research... Fact is I'll get good value by buying the cheaper Vantage out of my original budget and already be on the way towards saving for something a little different for myself.

I've enjoyed this introduction to it all, and I look forward to pestering you all again with stupid questions about repairs etc. when I hit my first tree.

I've done the right thing in joining this forum and been made very welcome.

Thank you.

• Like 1

The advice wasn't wasted. It matters that you know what you are buying and its limitations - if you understand that you'll be fine. Lot of people end up disappointed with RC's (and models get poor reputations) because they got something that wasn't really suitable for what they planned on doing with it. 1/10th buggys are awesome, but they have some very clear limits and you have to work with that. If you do so, they are great, if you don't you take it home in pieces.....

• Like 2

Not wasted at all, As Si Coe says youve made a good judged decision, and you can be assured you know what your getting yourselves in for, and are happy with the choice.  The car may be absolutely fantastic for what you and your son wish to do with it , and as a parent you did as many of us have done and got carried away with wanting the best without overspending or buying too cheap and buying crap.  Kudos to you as that was atough choice, and kudos to your son for giving it to you straight haha, I hope he really enjoys the vantage, and my offer for the free spares still stands if you want them to get you started off. 

Off the top of my head ive got..

Spur gear,

front arms,

front shock tower,

rear shock tower,

a few wng holders

wing bracket,

front chassis peices,

might have other bits as well

All the best,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGinja said:

Not wasted at all, As Si Coe says youve made a good judged decision, and you can be assured you know what your getting yourselves in for, and are happy with the choice.  The car may be absolutely fantastic for what you and your son wish to do with it , and as a parent you did as many of us have done and got carried away with wanting the best without overspending or buying too cheap and buying crap.  Kudos to you as that was atough choice, and kudos to your son for giving it to you straight haha, I hope he really enjoys the vantage, and my offer for the free spares still stands if you want them to get you started off. 

Off the top of my head ive got..

Spur gear,

front arms,

front shock tower,

rear shock tower,

a few wng holders

wing bracket,

front chassis peices,

might have other bits as well

All the best,

That would be awesome thank you. I'll pm you my details 

Had the day off today so I went into my local model shop (when I found it, there aren't many around are there...) and by luck they had the FTX range there so I've now seen and felt a real one. My son is going to love it. I can't wait to get it ordered and before you know it I'll be on here asking about upgraded batteries etc.

Lots to explore and learn and enjoy.

Those little 1/32 jobbies look like fun - that was what I was after originally, something for indoors that was a bit nippier than the cheap toys and didn't take a ten-point turn to get through a doorway! then we hit the search engines and it went downhill rapidly from there. Might need to throw a couple of those in the basket too...;)

thanks again, I feel like I've won a prize - can't wait to get us out there (although where is possibly another thread subject...)

Done. We went back to the shop after the school run. I made him have a proper look at the Vantage and the Carnage as well as the lady in the shop explaining the differences and he made an informed choice.

I know it looks the same as all the others out there, but here's it is.

Yes, he took it to bed with him and read the parts book, finding the bits on the car so he could learn their names. He's very thorough!

Vantage.JPG

• Like 3

Done. We went back to the shop after the school run. I made him have a proper look at the Vantage and the Carnage as well as the lady in the shop explaining the differences and he made an informed choice.

I know it looks the same as all the others out there, but here's it is.
Yes, he took it to bed with him and read the parts book, finding the bits on the car so he could learn their names. He's very thorough!
Vantage.JPG

Does anyone else run Ariel up like that I have mine flat tucked along the top bit of the frame invade I flip it and snap it off, anyone else? Looks great btw bet he had a whale of a time with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we went to the local shop. There are so few around now (as I've only just discovered), so I figured it's good to support them - even for an extra tenner - and of course we may need them to be our friend as we know nowt about what we're doing! I asked about spares and they only had one or two so I guess they'll generally be easier to get online (in bulk, by all accounts).

It was of great value to pick them up and go through the merits and differences of each model, and for the magic of going into a shop full of proper toys! My son was very impressed.

He spotted the hole for the aerial and popped it through himself and thinks it looks cool. I figured I would wait until/if we snap it off before suggesting an alternative - little thing to learn as we go.

Off out for our first run this morning!!!

• Like 2

We're up and running :D:D. We headed to a big empty car park today and had a brilliant hour full of fun, after an apprehensive start to the day when he was a bit nervous about even taking it out because its 'too precious'.

He spent the first 15 minutes driving it along at walking pace, following it around and repeating "Wow this is awesome!!"

(top tip: if you want to avoid damaging your off-road vehicle, simply drive it at 4mph on a smooth flat surface in a straight line with no potential obstacles or hazards within 100m.)

After a little encouragement and a decidedly inept 'dad demo', he spent the last 15 minutes drifting it about and doing J-turns with a huge grin on his face, finishing with a 180 to parallel park it next to our bag.

Due to popular demand we'll be returning tomorrow. And we didn't break anything.

• Like 1

thanks - is there a standard technique for helping the battery stay in place in the buggy? ours seems to have a good half inch of play in it and slides around the battery bay quite freely.

before I just stick a lump of blue tac in there, I wondered if the was another way I should do it, in case of heat issues or something...

oh, and are there recommended rechargeable AA batteries to use for the Radio handset? It takes 8 so I thin rechargers is going to be the best way.

and there's a power connection port on the handset itself - is that usable to recharge them with or do I need to get a whole charging unit that can take eight AAs.

Any thoughts?

sorry if i should be starting other threads with these other questions - let me know and i will

thanks - is there a standard technique for helping the battery stay in place in the buggy? ours seems to have a good half inch of play in it and slides around the battery bay quite freely.
before I just stick a lump of blue tac in there, I wondered if the was another way I should do it, in case of heat issues or something...

oh, and are there recommended rechargeable AA batteries to use for the Radio handset? It takes 8 so I thin rechargers is going to be the best way.
and there's a power connection port on the handset itself - is that usable to recharge them with or do I need to get a whole charging unit that can take eight AAs.
Any thoughts?

sorry if i should be starting other threads with these other questions - let me know and i will

How bigs the battery? You can get foam blocks to put at the end to pad it out my amp needs one in it but not the vantage that fits perfectly but mine are 2S

Any thoughts?

How bigs the battery? You can get foam blocks to put at the end to pad it out my amp needs one in it but not the vantage that fits perfectly but mine are 2S

1 hour ago, TheGinja said:

We put some velcro strips at the two ends of the battery and in the car on ours, keeps it in place nicely.   Did the parts make it to you ok as well.

cool, I'll work something out with the battery.

Yes, the box has arrived thanks - a neighbour brought it over a little while ago. I'm going to let Charlie open it in the morning (we got 2 new kittens today, so it was hard enough getting him to bed without any more excitement).

Thanks again, much appreciated 

• Like 1