• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

On 10/06/2018 at 18:34, NOFX said:

A while after fitting the 120a esc in the outlaw, I took it for a test up the garden. My God! What a difference! I see major damage on the horizon. ?. Gonna take it for a proper run on the common later with the family  .

Did this really make it go faster? Did you have to solder it on? What you get?Did you put a 3s battery in aswell...

Mines now fixed ftx sent me a new esc for free as it fryed within a few weeks...

The acceleration has gone up by 50%. . I had to swap the battery connections over. It's not a speed run truck. It's not built for speed runs. I didn't have the chance to have a proper rip with it, due to it going fwd in about 25 seconds. I'm not gonna put a 3s in it. As I said, it's not built for speed runs. 

30 minutes ago, NOFX said:

The acceleration has gone up by 50%. . I had to swap the battery connections over. It's not a speed run truck. It's not built for speed runs. I didn't have the chance to have a proper rip with it, due to it going fwd in about 25 seconds. I'm not gonna put a 3s in it. As I said, it's not built for speed runs. 

FWD can be fun to :) what drive/prop shaft have you got or going for the ftx one or something else ?

Rookie mistake.....

So I had a little fire this morning.....neeeee norrrrrrrr neeeeeee norrrrrrrr.....Not that bad but still it was a oh **** moment. So I got a new battery from the rc shop and wanted to charge it up, I plugged the balance charger lead into the deans connector on the battery and flung it back into the metal box I keep the batteries in, after a few sparks i was engulfed in a cloud of white smoke!!!! I chucked the whole box out the window in a panic....lesson learned don't plug the balance lead in the battery the put it into a metal box, I'm guessing the exposed red and black connectors and a metal box made the spark and shorted out the lead...booom....be careful peeps....hope the battery is ok? Any way of knowing?

20180616_083718.jpg

Edited by English outlaw

1 hour ago, English outlaw said:

Rookie mistake.....

So I had a little fire this morning.....neeeee norrrrrrrr neeeeeee norrrrrrrr.....Not that bad but still it was a oh **** moment. So I got a new battery from the rc shop and wanted to charge it up, I plugged the balance charger lead into the deans connector on the battery and flung it back into the metal box I keep the batteries in, after a few sparks i was engulfed in a cloud of white smoke!!!! I chucked the whole box out the window in a panic....lesson learned don't plug the balance lead in the battery the put it into a metal box, I'm guessing the exposed red and black connectors and a metal box made the spark and shorted out the lead...booom....be careful peeps....hope the battery is ok? Any way of knowing?

20180616_083718.jpg

Ouch, that's not good early doors!

I'd personally have a good sniff of the battery and squeeze it a bit to see if it seems ok, then I'd run it and charge it etc. If you're careful I'd see no reason to at least having a go at keeping it?

All the panels are now done. Typically it's now raining and I cba to get wet!!!

Need more stickers as this thing will blind people!

Next up is swapping out the mental cheap 5400kv( I think) motor for my newly purchased 3800 sensored castle.

Now I need to learn about putting pictures on without Tapatalk...

2 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

Ouch, that's not good early doors!

I'd personally have a good sniff of the battery and squeeze it a bit to see if it seems ok, then I'd run it and charge it etc. If you're careful I'd see no reason to at least having a go at keeping it?

Got a new lead n charging now.....off to shops now 

28 minutes ago, English outlaw said:

All seems fine :) seems faster on new battery. Flips over on full throttle. What have people done to get it not to steer like a school bus on flat tyres?

I changed the shocks for Traxxas big bore which are quite a bit stiffer, and generally better made. That and front and rear sway bars has helped mine no end.

Changing the rear shocks for shorter length has enabled me to drop the ride height quite a bit which I think has also helped.

Waiting on some hex extension so I can put decent wheels on which I've already got ready. These have Crawler Innovation dual stage foams which are much better than the stock combinations.

My outlaw is down again :rolleyes: it's nothing really just one of the pins in the drive/prop shaft backed out and is now going forever but don't know where to get some new ones as it the funny type ones where the threaded part is bigger than normal ones if you know what I mean :017: but have kind of possibly temporarily fixed it with a cable tie :whistling: don't know if it's going to work yet until I get new hex's as 2 have stripped so more shiney blue bits :topbanana:

Edited by RC4WD fan

20 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

My outlaw is down again :rolleyes: it's nothing really just one of the pins in the drive/prop shaft backed out and is now going forever but don't know where to get some new ones as it the funny type ones where the threaded part is bigger than normal ones if you know what I mean :017: but have kind of possibly temporarily fixed it with a cable tie :whistling: don't know if it's going to work yet until I get new hex's as 2 have stripped so more shiney blue bits :topbanana:

Mine did that mid run once, replaced it with a M3 nut n bolt.  Figured the cap head balanced out the nut on the other end.  

That's assuming you mean pins like these?

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, capri-boy said:

Mine did that mid run once, replaced it with a M3 nut n bolt.  Figured the cap head balanced out the nut on the other end.  

That's assuming you mean pins like these?

image.jpeg

Yep there the ones :) but I might do what you did won't need to worry about it then if using a lock nut :good: 

36 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

Yep there the ones :) but I might do what you did won't need to worry about it then if using a lock nut :good: 

'Fix' that's helped me and friends out no ends on various RC's but especially Losi's Dibby.  As well as losing the pins they strip / split easily if your not using good tools / forget to melt the loctite.  

14 minutes ago, bigoggy said:

I'm picking an Outlaw up this week. And it's all your fault, because of the fun we had that day.

hahah sorry John!  I was pleasantly surprised the abuse mine took that day, and carried on.  

Yeah. I put a couple of braces between the rear chassis plates. Loads of people have don't it. It lessens chassis flex & makes it stronger.  I used bits of old roll cage off the crap ftx viper.  Delrin rod would be ideal though. 

8 minutes ago, NOFX said:

Yeah. I put a couple of braces between the rear chassis plates. Loads of people have don't it. It lessens chassis flex & makes it stronger.  I used bits of old roll cage off the crap ftx viper.  Delrin rod would be ideal though. 

Ah, yes. Done that as well above the battery tray. Also the DIY rear sway bar is a brilliant mod and has kept mine nicely planted ?

Good day rcing in the woods, few bits broken but nothing major:) 

https://youtu.be/L_1G6u2G08A

My mate brought his car round my god it shifts 

Then put the traxxas 3s battery in my outlaw :) itit hit 40mph which ain't bad as it's not ment for speed. It did become pretty much uncontrollable though, the chassis was twisting and tyres ballooning badly but fun neverless. Deffenlenty gonna just stick to 2s unless I get some decent wheels. 

Screenshot_20180618-180240_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180618-180318_Gallery.jpg