• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

Yup, definitely 15t

5C57E8C7-D0CB-4276-A956-CACA17069F23.jpeg

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Just have to clock watch tomorrow until I get my 1hr drop off notification from the couriers........already looking at spare and upgrades.

Am I correct in thinking the VRX 1/10 Racing Buggy is the exact same vehicle, as the spares are a fraction of the price.......?

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/upgrade-parts-for-1-10-vrx-racing-rc-cars/5175031_517029154.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.100008.12.3edf77804GMPn8

Hi iv got a brusless set up on my outlaw  and iv got standard spur and pinion. But I put zorro wheels on it and a fan on motor and esc and iv been out the last two days bashing my outlaw 2 x5200 100c batts each and no over heating . . Same with my carnage 

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

Hi iv got a brusless set up on my outlaw  and iv got standard spur and pinion. But I put zorro wheels on it and a fan on motor and esc and iv been out the last two days bashing my outlaw 2 x5200 100c batts each and no over heating . . Same with my carnage 

How does it look with the Zorro wheels and what fan do you have?

3 hours ago, No brains said:

0.6 mod pinion with a 5mm bore are also out there.

maybe this can help.

It does indeed help because I’ve just ordered a 5mm bore, 0.6 mod, 17t pinion from RW Racing. 

Now to pick a motor…

4 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

How does it look with the Zorro wheels and what fan do you have?

Looks ok I'll post an pic.  It's a bit lower to the ground (smaller wheels ) 

Motor fan 

383672732177 off ebay . 

Juat out put in RC motor fan . 

Loads come up even double fans.  

On 10/06/2021 at 15:33, walkbythesea said:

The Gmade beadlocks are a total fail with a fast  mover…

EAAD0B38-21B3-4E01-94B7-CB60DE7F1408.jpeg

3AB7229D-D09E-4ED2-84D8-A1CDBE12366D.jpeg

736EA1F1-65AE-430A-B48B-D03D99D2EE96.jpeg

…constantly having to refit the tyres 🤦‍♂️

Have your sorted the wheel/tyre problem yet m8

4 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Have your sorted the wheel/tyre problem yet m8

Not yet as I’m waiting for things to be delivered - gonna fit wider foams as the ones I have are still too narrow and promote rollover, will then glue these tyres back onto stock rims and save the beadlocks for another project

• Like 1

Today’s run was a much greater success, stuck the GPS on it too today just to see. 

The factory 2950kv gave me 30.63mph

The Hobbywing 3300kv, 41.13mph

Both with the same stock 17t pinion and on 2s

Ran 17.5 minutes on a 6200mah 2s. 

Can temp went from 25.4 to 65.6

Am getting cogging on grass and at launch, especially launching in gravel - the Etronix seemed better in this respect, but presume I can tune the HW. 

Will my 1080 programming card work with the Max10 ?

Mine just arrived courtesy of DPD, looking forward to getting out in the woods with the dog this evening and giving it a good run........

Thanks to all for the help so far..........

IMG_0885.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Am getting cogging on grass and at launch, especially launching in gravel - the Etronix seemed better in this respect, but presume I can tune the HW. 

Will my 1080 programming card work with the Max10 ?

You can, it will still cogg as thats down to the gearing and you can not alter the timing on the hobbywing when you can on the etronix.
Higher power setting will help but not stop it, also ensure your using decent 30c+ batteries.

1080 programming box is is only for the crawler esc afaik you need the led or usb programmer.

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

So will a 3660 3200kv be torqueyer and cog less as well as run cooler?

I wil run cooler and have more torque but only if you buy a hobbywing or a good brand motor if you buy something like a gool rc motor then you can save your money and leave the 3652 hobbywing in there , wil it cog less I don't know

1 hour ago, No brains said:

I wil run cooler and have more torque but only if you buy a hobbywing or a good brand motor if you buy something like a gool rc motor then you can save your money and leave the 3652 hobbywing in there , wil it cog less I don't know

Will I be disappointed if I add the 3660 Hobbywing can, but not the 120a ESC - am I better buying the SCT combo and living large? 🤘😎

3 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Will I be disappointed if I add the 3660 Hobbywing can, but not the 120a ESC - am I better buying the SCT combo and living large? 🤘😎

Probably yes, its got lots of power and can take up to 4s.
Theres noticable start up diffrence even when paired with the same motors, the sct has way more punch at low end vs the low end punch vs the max 10 on the same motor and same battery.
Go big imo whats the harm?

Edited by Redback

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Probably yes, its got lots of power and can take up to 4s.
Theres noticable start up diffrence even when paired with the same motors, the sct has way more punch at low end vs the low end punch vs the max 10 on the same motor and same battery.
Go big imo whats the harm?

So basically, go big or go home….

If your racing and not wanting cogging, and a little more is in your budget, id be going for a castle mamba x sensored system but if your not bothered about low speed torque and control the other motor your looking at will supply more torque although im not sure as mentioned if it will fit, i guess time will tell 🙂

8 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

So basically, go big or go home….

yes, I f you have the money for it, then  buy the sct combo it has more power and it wil help with the motor heat, I have the sct esc in my rustler and losi rock rey.

Maybe you can sell the max 10 combo or use it for another car.

Edited by No brains

21 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

So before I make another expensive mistake, is the 3200kv version of the 3660 the most appropriate output for an Outlaw?

That is the lowest kv version they have for the 3660, but you have a 3300kv in it now,  so I think the 3660 it wil not get so hot as the 3652 can motor I am supriced if it is, or search for a low kv 3660 motor about 2200kv  and run it on 3s then the car has more power and more torque but stil the same topspeed and less heat.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I really need a primer on volts vs kv

basically if you volt up and lower the kv to he point that it has around the same speed, the higher voltage set up has less amp draw and less heat, I don't know if you allready have 3s batteries? if you have you can try bying an cheap 3660  2200kv motor and run that in the car, I think the max10 esc can handle it, arrma sells the 3s line with basically a max10 and they have a 3660 motor and can run  on 3s

Edited by No brains
  • Thanks 1

I only have 2s batteries for cars - my helicopter batteries are 3s but they’re tiny 😂

The SCT ESC will take 4s and I have a matched pair of 6200mah - would a lower kv motor work with that setup or is it just silly?

As a thought exercise, I presume running the 3200kv motor on 4s would make a lot of heat, lower torque, but higher top speed - so could I run it solely on my concrete pad at work for a speed run without risking too much harm?  Maybe with smaller wheels to lower the effective gearing?

59 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

I only have 2s batteries for cars - my helicopter batteries are 3s but they’re tiny 😂

The SCT ESC will take 4s and I have a matched pair of 6200mah - would a lower kv motor work with that setup or is it just silly?

As a thought exercise, I presume running the 3200kv motor on 4s would make a lot of heat, lower torque, but higher top speed - so could I run it solely on my concrete pad at work for a speed run without risking too much harm?  Maybe with smaller wheels to lower the effective gearing?

4s  kill the car and breaking parts , I don know how strong the car is but even on 3s you can get driveline problems, I don't no how strong the driveline is on the outlaw ,  maybe  you can find anything on the web if people running the outlaw on  3s and if the driveline can handle it before you buy a motor or and batteries.

maybe you can try an lower kv motor like a 2600kv  3660  cheap surpass hobby and run it on 2s  and then gear up   if the motor temps are fine

Edited by No brains

2 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

RW 17t mod 0.6, 5mm hole hardened pinion has arrived

image.jpg

Did you order those straight off the RW site....?

....these....?

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/-6-module-helicopter-pinion-5mm-bore-short-boss

I'm already stripping the ESC from my Outlaw as the performance in the woods up & over dry hard packed earth and dry leaves is terrible, tried a few different quality Nimh battery sticks, all the same result.

I'll try 2s Lipo's next and I have a spare 60A Brushless Combo I can also try out, but the motor has a 5mm diameter output shaft, so what you have there should hopefully do the trick....

Cheers