• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

25 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a goolrc combo, what the size required for 2s-3s? 3000kv?

also I see they have 45A & 60A I take it the 60A is the way forward?

Im using the 3800kv 3660 with no problems at all. And a hobbywing 120A esc! Always run it on 3S and I find it perfect for what I want.

21 minutes ago, johninderby said:

3000 to 3500 seems the best range. Definately 60A.

Ideal would be a Hobbywing Quicrun 60A with whatever motor you choose.

John

Cheers John & I see there are 50mm motors & 60mm, what's the max length that fits?

36 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Thanks, what pinion are you using for 3s?

Using the 23t with ali mount, no heat issues either which is good! The 120A takes it all in its stride. Still wish to this day they made an ali gearbox for the Outlaw, there's one for the Outback. The lipo's I use with it range between 25 to 35C.. 

Oh, meant to say the 3660 GoolRC motor also has a 5mm motor shaft. The 48dp pinion with 23t and 5mm aren't very common, I found one on eBay but they need reducing in length to fit them into the gearbox.

Edited by t2boats

Hi johninderby and others, very good pinios are here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-17t.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-23t.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-20t.html

I use these in my car and are really good. I am now on holiday, I send photo in evening, They do not need shortening.

2 minutes ago, mirakuli said:

Hi johninderby and others, very good pinios are here: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-17t.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-23t.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-0-6m-hardened-steel-helicopter-pinion-gear-5mm-shaft-20t.html

I use these in my car and are really good. I am now on holiday, I send photo in evening, They do not need shortening.

Can vouch for the 17T here as I use this exsact one in my outlaw 

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

On the subject of pinions for the Outback it is important to use a mod 0.6 and not a 48tpi as they aren't quite the same. Wonder if those chewing up their spur gear are using the 48tpi?

John

Could be a very good point, my input is that I haven't chewed a single spur "YET" with the 0.6 but I haven't tried a 48TPI, I've ran mine both on the stock brushed setup and a brushless 3650 4500kv (8t) setup on 3S lipo power which is insanely fast, I do check from time to time to make sure everything looks healthy and there is no signs of wear on either the spur or pinion after maybe 40hrs of Hard use and abuse at my local chalk quarry.

Edited by 6ft4Crawler
  • Like 1

I believe the spacing of the teeth is the same but the depth of the teeth are different meaning one of them will have a shallower spur to pinion mesh which will quickly result in mis-shaping typically from what I've seen in the past the pinion and spur will sharpen each other until the point on the end of the teeth is so thin and pointy it just rounds off or strips the teeth.

The image is just and example, but you can see how the cogs aren't meshing together correctly, the issue with the outlaw is that the mesh is not adjustable so if you have a deeper or shallower mesh than it requires then you have no choice but to find a better fitting pinion. I guess the best advice would be for message FTX/Helion/VRX (I'm not sure who originally made it) and find out what pitch specs they go by. 

Loose+2.png

Edited by 6ft4Crawler

Highlighted terms are the key points. You can skip the rest if you like but here is some helpful Pitch info:

DP stands for diametric pitch, and is the only kind of pitch used when describing RC gears so "DP" and "P" and "pitch" are interchangeable terms. (Worm gears and rack gears are the types of gears that have non-diametric types of pitch.)

Diametric pitch is how many teeth per inch-diameter (hence the name) of a pinion or spur gear. A 32P gear, for instance, has 32 teeth for every inch the gear is in diameter:
- a 1-inch diameter gear would have 32 teeth
- a 1.25-inch diameter gear would have 40 teeth
- a 2-inch diameter gear would have 64 teeth

Higher pitches (48P, 64P) have more, finer teeth for a given gear diameter than lower pitch (32P) which are larger and coarser.

"Pitch" is the standard/imperial term. "Module" is the metric term and is calculated slightly differently. Module is the millimetres-of-diameter per tooth, rather than teeth-per-diameter used with Pitch.

0.8-module (sometimes abbreviated to mod-0.8, Module 0.8, or 0.8M) means the tooth is 0.8mm in diameter for each tooth, so a 100-tooth gear would be 80mm in diameter.

With Module, lower numbers (0.6, 0.4) means lower diameter for a given tooth count (finer teeth) and higher numbers (0.8, 1.0) mean larger diameter for a given tooth count (coarser teeth).

Bigger teeth (lower pitch or higher module) are stronger, but noisier and since you have to move in 1-tooth increments when changing gear ratio, the available ratios can't be tuned as finely. Finer teeth are quieter and more finely-adjustable, but aren't as strong.

0.8M and 32P are practically identical in tooth size, and these are the only compatible sizes between metric and standard (in common use with RCs). All other modules/pitches commonly used in RC are not compatible with any other. If you come across a "metric 48P" then it is NOT compatible with a true standard 48P.

Common pitch per vehicle type:
- 1/8th electric and nitro: 1.0M
- 1/10 nitro: 1.0Module or 32P/0.8M
- 1/10 electric 2WD offroad: Usually 48P. High-power brushless conversions often convert to 0.8M/32P to handle the extra torque
- 1/10 electric 4WD offroad: Often 0.8M/32P
- 1/10 electric onroad: Often 48P, but 0.6M for many Tamiya and some others. Sometimes 0.4M or 64P for higher-end cars.
- 1/16 and 1/18: 48P or 0.4M. I'm not so sure about these smaller cars, though.

Some helis use uncommon pitches like 0.7M or 0.5M.

Worth taking note if you skipped the above, 0.8M and 32P are practically identical in tooth size so us guys/girls running a combo of 48dp and 0.6 one of us is wrong 

:asleep::asleep::asleep:

Edited by 6ft4Crawler
  • Like 1