• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

Looks good. :thumbsup:

Maybe some wheel wideners at the rear?

John

Sorry it's a dodgy photo, the wheels do protrude the shell by around 6mm either side so it's alright in that regard. I'm well chuffed the wheelbase of the outlaw suits the SCT shell, I had some hesitations over whether it would or not..

Went online to FTX and they've all FTX parts in stock for the Outlaw again :good:

So I've ordered the following:

2x rear steel prop shafts (1 for the Outlaw and other for the SCT conversion)

2x ali motor mounts, 17 and 23t options

A few spare pair of front suspension arms...just incase..

Rear ali hubs for the SCT

hopefully arrive on Saturday going by their previous performance.

Yes I saw that, nice decals. I went for the Hulk shell in the end, because of its colour scheme really as I've also got a set of Monster Energy stickers and typical sponsor style stickers sat here doing nothing, thought they complement things a little more on the shell. 

I think I might have to trim the rear arches a bit so the wheels will travel up into the shell, the Outlaw axle width is a bit too wide for the two SCT shells I have here, the tyres are popping out from the arch around 5mm each. Just hoping the Killerbody is that tad wider..

Yeah I've been having a rummage through this morning, I've got another few sets there with less offset but they're 17mm hex, so by the time I add the 12-17 adaptor they're spaced slightly beyond the arch again. Perhaps the new shell with fit just right, will wait and see..

Ran the Outlaw yesterday in the quarry, though the fun only lasted two minutes it performed so so well.. With the brushless setup and 23t pinion on 3S - things were lively! The torque twist is a bit nuts on hard acceleration, could see signs of this on brushed 3S, but since the changes and with a bit of feathering of the throttle it was ok.. punch level was set to 2 out of 8. 

Was good to see the suspension being so plush over the bumps, I began making some video but the fun was cut short as I drove it through the smallest of puddles, about 6meters later:  putt-putt-putt and it stopped... the water didn't go anywhere else inside, just on the esc, and that was that for the day! So I'll be buying some plastidip or similar product to waterproof the esc (or if anyone else can recommend a product which is readily available?!).

Otherwise, I'm really pleased with it. It looks great on the run, and playing back the short video clips I made in slo-mo really did show the suspension working as it should. I'll have to take some more video footage to compile a decent length film of it. 

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

3 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Hm, ended up with two posts then..?!  The website went off then when it reappeared there was a duplicate post of the one above :huh:

Has happened to me a lot lately. Am in the middle of posting something when the site goes down and when the site comes back on voila a duplicte post. Had a triplicate post yesterday. :o

John

Fitted the rear ali hubs, rear, steel prop shaft, and new motor mount this morning to the SCT conversion. All that's needed now is to finish off the body mounts and await the delivery of the KillerBody SCT shell :D  so far it's running 17t pinion, will see how it performs with 2 and 3S, perhaps fit a slightly larger pinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to fit a set of sway bars to both Outlaws in order to try counteract the chassis twist, the Carnage front end sway bar fits the Outlaw, but the rear I'm going to have to make something bespoke for that.. got two servo arms and ball joints to use, just need a short length of spring steel rod to fashion around the rear end of the chassis and find two secure mounting points suitable.

The KillerBody SCT shell arrived - it's nice :rolleyes:  there's also an alloy 1.9 wheel/tyre set on its way which hopefully make it look more realistic. (Sorry about the photo quality!)  

IMG_1055.JPG

Is the standard rear sway bar working ?

I ask this as I had to pay mine some attention after breaking both the bottom links and found that one of the top links wasn't gripping the sway bar itself, the problem being the standard plastic top links rely on a grub screw that tightens onto a flat on the sway bar. Not ideal as it can't be tightened up hard without stripping the threads in the link.

Methinks the option alloy sway bar upper links would be worthwhile, if only I could afford some !

20 hours ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

Is the standard rear sway bar working ?

I ask this as I had to pay mine some attention after breaking both the bottom links and found that one of the top links wasn't gripping the sway bar itself, the problem being the standard plastic top links rely on a grub screw that tightens onto a flat on the sway bar. Not ideal as it can't be tightened up hard without stripping the threads in the link.

Methinks the option alloy sway bar upper links would be worthwhile, if only I could afford some !

Im still waiting for the anti-role bar to arrive, need to make one for the rear end. The front end of the outlaw is a carnage at the end of the day, so I've ordered two carnage anti-role (or Sway bars as they were labelled on the packet) bars (one for each Outlaw). Just need to find two steering/servo arms to attach to the rear role bar which then mates to the rear trailing arms. 

I was considering the rear anti-role bar from off then axial Yeti but I'm uncertain of its dimensions...?!