• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

Never used the NiMh battery that it comes with and it's a low capacity anyway so can't say want the run time would be. I fitted a 2200 LiPo right away and it gives excellent run time and fits in the stock batter tray. A bigger LiPo can be fitted if it's turned on it's side but places too much weight high up.

The stock RX/ESZ can be set for LiPo. 

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/FTX5566/files/FTX Ouback Manual.pdf

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Thanks very much John really appreciate info I have a lot of Nihms, but with decent weather coming hoping to get out and do some damage :P

Fred

:wheelchair:

The best advice I can give with the Outback is don't add weight to it. It's a light weight RC that performs so well because it's light. Also the battery tray is small and a regular sized battery pack won't sit flat and will have to fit on it's side. A 2200 Turnigy is a perfect fit.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Yes I saw somewhere on You tube that it is very light, just seen a 

2200mah 2s LIPO Zippy flightmax 40-50c 7.4v 2 cell battery XT60  on Ebay that looks as though it should fit into the battery box,

By the bye I love your Raptor, keep having a nose at it - :thumbsup:

Looks like it should fit OK. The rear shocks limit how wide a battery will fit. Did try a 4200 shorty hardcase that fit fine resting on it's side but made the Outback a bit top heavy. 

Oh yes if you did get one and want the axle widening kit you have to buy a pack of four front axles and a pack of 2 rear axles. No idea why they only sell the fronts in packs of four. :017:. Think Freeprawn is splitting up the packs of four front axles so you only have to buy two.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

The more I chat - the more I see I have to learn, but it is great that there are decent folk like yourself to offer help, I like the Land Rover, but the red Trekka, I'll have a ponder and see which I prefer but looks like the Land Rover is way ahead,

Fred

Land Rover was my favourite of the bunch too.. I wouldn't say no to any of the three to be fair though. 

I think they're great for a budget crawler. I've put mine through some stern testing and it copes with ease - it's even survived being fully submerged and trundled out the other side :huh:  

I didn't use the stock nimh at all, went straight to a Lipo 2S 4000mah, and the run time was, well, hours to be honest... it kept going and going and going. I found a nice set of 2S Lipo through eBay (2200mah) which are a nice fit in the tray (or underslung of it). 

Also picked up a set of 1.9" steel split rims wheels and tyres, there's some weight to them. Will fit them n post up a pic - weight added as low as possible then! There's the trick of adding wheel balance weights to the outer face of the rim which could also be tried. I reckon the stock motor would be up to its limit then though.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for info t2boats, being in W/Chair need to keep to the longest run time possible, looking forward to pics

Fitted these earlier on to the Ranger. These are the ali/steel split rims I bought a few weeks back. They're deep-dished too and from fitting them I can see there's no real need to have the axle extenders fitted. The outer rim is aluminium and the larger inner rim and internal collar surrounding the rims are steel. Look good too.. So a nice gain in lowering the centre of gravity! :good: 

IMG_1167.JPG

Hello, where did you say you got the wheels from, they look great and without the axle extenders, makes it even easier to fit, I rplied yesterday but can't see it ?

Hiya.. The wheels I got through eBay. I'll find their name again for you and pop it up. I would put a link up but it doesn't seem to work (perhaps cos I use the eBay ap on my phone..?) 

I haven't tried them out yet so not sure on how good the tyres are (the tread looks ok to be fair), but the stock FTX tyres are decent and not failed the Ranger yet.. toying with the idea of buying another FTX tyre set to fit to the split rims if these tyres aren't up to scratch.. 

Mamodman! On eBay, do a search for:

"4psc 12mm hex Rumber Rock Crawler 1.9 Tires/Wheels"  that should take you to them on the listings...?!

PS - are you into model Mamod steam engines by any chance? (From looking at your forum name). I used to have one years ago, loved it..

Hello, thanks for help, yes I love live steam be it Mamod, Wilesco, generators or wheeled or what ever, last time I ran a Mamod on the work bench on the rolling road, it set the smoke alarm off, wife was not pleased :angrymad:

You know we went to park on Saturday, charged batteries up, dropped car into car, got to park turned Tx on then Rx nothing, I'd only gone and put the wrong Tx in - sick as a parrot

Good you found them, I could only find two sellers who were advertising them. Mine only took 11 days to get here, I'm not complaining with that, I was expecting the usual 6wks+  think they were £30.72 odd??!

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 04:24, johninderby said:

Yes the stock servo is pants and not fit for purpose. Turnigy 1501MG is a lot better

I've recently picked one of these up.

fits brilliantly, I'm waiting for a new receiver to get my rig up and running.

however.

one the ebay page I ordered it from it mentions that it's waterproof.

is it actually waterproof?

as from looking at it it has no visual signs or stickers or writing on the box to say it is..

will be most disappointed if it's not..

I use the same servo in both Outlaws, on the occasion when the RC just stopped (I drove it through the smallest of puddles and the esc was wet) the steering servo still worked - and that was also wet. Haven't had it underwater yet like the Outbacks stock servo... like you I'm hoping it's totally waterproof.

I think this will be my youngests rc it sounds perfect to go with her sisters jeep. Can you fit any motor you like or have any "special" fit stuff to work around? 5wire servo, all in one esc/rx or geared motor type things. 

I used a hpi firebolt 35T motor for my daughters truck and it was great for £7 i put cardboard on the stairs and the jeep flew up it. Now it has a rebuidable cheap thing and its faster but also near silent when running. I got lucky with that truck from a friend mates rates. So the outback would be better. 

The oldest doesnt want another rc and pass the jeep down. 3yr old just screams red one. I think outback comes in red too right. i like the body too. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

It has a 370 motor but it works really well and doesn't need changing. It's a lot faster tha you'd expect.

The Outback comes with a combined ESC/RX but takes a standard 3 wire servo. NiMh is standard but the ESZ has LiPo setting.

The ECX Barrage is the same chassis but comes with a seperate ESC and RX. Outback tyres are a lot better though and you need to fit an Outback servo mounting plate to fit a standard servo.

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Just noticed on Ebay they are selling a waterproof receiver and Esc -  371876076749 it is being sold by by ModelSport only 1 left

I'm currently being pestered by my son for one, he's after the blue Tundra shell. So the deal is if he has a good school report this time coming then he'll have a nice surprise. I've still got the stock battery and charger here which came with mine, unused, so he can have those and double up on them. I'll also make up a lead to go between his Lipo Deans & the tiny Tamiya connections should he wish/need to change batteries. So long as he remembers to change the jumper on the rx/esc!