• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tool for cutting out in tight places?

bertberr

Just wanted some suggestions on a small / micro tool that will allow me (neatly) to cut out plastic and thin metal from both flat and curved / formed parts. This is actually quite difficult to explain, feel a bit thick...! But up to now say if I want to create a small rectangular opening, I drill multiple small holes with a micro HSS bit until most material is gone then finish off with a micro file to clean up the edges. So this type of cutting is what I'm trying to get at - is there a micro cutter that u can get for these sort of jobs? Bit like a tiny reciprocating saw? 

For plastic isn't there a cutting wire tool. like bow but it's string cuts any direction. 

Dremmel has to be the winner mayb with one of them extensions to allow more finer cutting. 

Plus good Dremmel attachments. Cheap ones like cutting disks just frag out after a few mins. Once the wheel flew off so hard I thought it cracked the window. Then felt relieved it didn't flick into my face lol. 

Eye protection is a must too lol. 

I have the draper multi tool and it's been very good over the years. Been here 5yrs now so it's gotta be 3yrs old at least.  

but I buy dremmel stuff to put on it once the draper stuff was gone. draper attachments aren't that bad I don't think. 

Thanks guys, I have a dremmel use it all the time, but don't have any attachments that would achieve this, wasn't even aware they made one... any idea what it's called / part number?

Edited by bertberr