• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MGT 8.0 (should i hop up?)

leontheprof

Greetings to community, 

I have an MGT 8.0  which i like very much, i have converted it to brushless and this thing is beast. But now i brake parts more easily and i'm considering for some hop-ups. Its pretty stock except being brushless off course.

I want to make it kinda bulletproof (rpm parts), alloy shock towers, alloy shocks etc, but my main concern is if its worth it to drop money on a platform that is been discontinued.  As far as i know Thunder Tiger (mta4) does not produce it any more and Team Associated offers it as Rival only, but i dont know for how long. (electric version of MGT with some minor differences (longer chassis) ). 

Do you think this platform is too old to drop some money on it, do  you think it will stay for a long time so its worth considering buying hop ups or should i look for something else.  I dont want to end up with something  that will lack parts availability.

Any opinion is welcome!

If you are modifying to sell - forget it, you never get a fraction of the money back you spend.

If you are doing it for yourself, and with the intention of keeping it, then WHY NOT? DO IT.

Al.

1 hour ago, leontheprof said:

Greetings to community, 

I have an MGT 8.0  which i like very much, i have converted it to brushless and this thing is beast. But now i brake parts more easily and i'm considering for some hop-ups. Its pretty stock except being brushless off course.

I want to make it kinda bulletproof (rpm parts), alloy shock towers, alloy shocks etc, but my main concern is if its worth it to drop money on a platform that is been discontinued.  As far as i know Thunder Tiger (mta4) does not produce it any more and Team Associated offers it as Rival only, but i dont know for how long. (electric version of MGT with some minor differences (longer chassis) ). 

Do you think this platform is too old to drop some money on it, do  you think it will stay for a long time so its worth considering buying hop ups or should i look for something else.  I dont want to end up with something  that will lack parts availability.

Any opinion is welcome!

As far as I was aware the MTA4 S50 is still going. I'll have to look into that. :( 

What you breaking? I only needed the shock caps, gpm hubs and red springs.

I broke some  times my shock towers but they are really cheap. Another thing i break a lot is the steering rods, and of course the shock cups that pop out. 

Its not that i m sick of breaking parts, this is a part of the hobby too, no worries, what i'm worry about is that is it worth to upgrade the car and keep it going, or its getting old and i i may start having part availability issues?

when i had mine I did the twin tank mod.....ally shox caps.....red/copper springs....1900mh ni-mh hump pack.....that was it...:yes:.then ran 10 tanks through it n swapped it...:rolleyes:..jus look for sum chunkier rod/ends...that's that solved.:good:...and stock up on sum other parts and u b good to go....:good:

• 2 weeks later...