• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1.8meter TID Tug build

rctruckz

• 1 month later...

Hi guys/gals

Been at this on/off for around 8 months so far but the past few weeks I decided to go full on with it & I've got quite alot done, hoping to have her ready for sale for the summer :) This is my first ever build.. yup I jumped in at the deep end as they say \o/

Anyway will let the pics do the talking, as I say, its a largescale TID Tug details are:

Hull:   T.I.D Harbour Tug, Glass Fibre (Models By Design)
Scale: 1/12 (Length: 71" & Beam: 18")
Motor: 24volt DC 12 Pole - 3800rpm
Power Source: For Motor: 4x 12v 22AH SLA battery's (Total output: 24v 44AH - Series/Parallel configuration)
For Aux: 1x 12v 22AH SLA Battery
ESC:   Action Electronics P98 High Power (Modified)
Prop: Brass 5" (12.9mm) 4-Blade
Prop Shaft: Mobile Marine Models MaxLine 12.5mm Brass Outer tube / 8mm solid stainless steel inner with bearings
Rudder: Brass

Misc. items
Sound Unit: Beier Sound Module USM-RC-2
Smoke Unit: Steam Master Unit (SMU)
Electrics:
Action Electronics P98 High Power ESC (Modified
Action Electronics P107 Switched Power Distribution Board (Modified) 
Action Electronics P103 Parallel Power Board (Modified) 
Action Electronics P95 Indicator Fuse Boards 
Action Electronics P112 Fused Power Distribution Board With Main Power Switch
Action Electronics P44 Universal Twin Switcher
Action Electronics P95 Indicator Fuse Board

More info about my build can be seen here: http://www.tizdaz.co.uk/boat/build.html

HULL
1.png
2.png
2b.png
2c.png
2d.png
2e.png
2f.jpg
2g.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
hull10.jpg
hull11.jpg
hull10a.jpg
hull10b.jpg
hull11a.jpg
hull12.jpg
hull13.jpg
hull14.jpg
hull15.jpg
hull7.jpg
hull8.jpg
hull9.jpg

Time for an update, Finally finished the rudder..

First I cut out the rough shape of the rudder from a 2mm Brass sheet
prop39.jpg

I then filed & sanded to give the final shape
prop40.jpg

This was the (not so fun) part! ..Silver soldering the Rudder shaft to the rudder it's self. I did this using a Butane blow torch which I picked up off ebay, I used 2 house bricks for a base, I then lay another brass piece I had on top of the house bricks (to help with reflecting the heat) I then keyed the area to be soldered using some sand paper & put some flux on the contact sides & then lay the rudder & rudder shaft in position using 20pence pieces as shims as these were just the right thickness so the rudder was centre to the shaft, I also used a couple of die pieces to keep the shaft firmly along side the rudder. It took about 5mins for the flux to run which indicated the correct temperature to add the silver solder.
prop38.jpg

All sanded down, solid as a rock! ..tested the alignment & all good!
prop36.jpg

prop37.jpg

I then used some JB Marine Weld along the joint, this ensured that if there was any area missed with the soldering this would fill the join as well as add extra strength.
prop35.jpg

Once the JB weld set, I then sanded for a smooth finish
prop34.jpg

Next I cut out 3 strips of 1mm brass & wrapped it around the shaft & onto the rudder, these were fixed in place using JB Marine Weld & then I used 3 small pieces of wood along with clamps to hold in place while it set. This will again add extra strength to the rudder as well make it look more like a rudder!
prop33jpg.jpg

All set & solid!
prop32.jpg

Time for more sanding..
prop31.jpg

Next I added some rivets (well, kind of!) I cut off the head of some button head bolts, filed them smooth & then using JB Marine Weld I placed them onto the strips & then filled the head with the weld.
prop28.jpg

Once all set I sanded down to a smooth finish
prop30jpg.jpg

One more final sanding..Mission Complete!
prop29.jpg

Im pretty happy with the final outcome, once sprayed I think it will look pretty decent, not bad for my 1st attempt :)
prop26.jpg
prop27.jpg
prop25.jpg

Prop shaft & rudder all done, will grab some video soon of it in the water, but i did a dry test with the prop running & its very smooth with no vibrations which is good as it means of course that the alignment is good etc.

Also stained/varnished the wheelhouse & made a start on the wheel, also cut out the rest of the deck pieces which are ready to be fixed in place & also made a cutout on the stern for access to the rudder linkage/servo..

Using some 2mm copper sheet I made some braces for the keel, I made a simple jig using some wooden dowel so just a fraction of the dowel was exposed, I then placed the brass brace over this & tapped it with a hammer, this then gave the shape of the prop shaft so it sat around it snug on the keel..
attachment.php?aid=202
attachment.php?aid=203

The top half of keel is screwed in from inside of the hull through a piece of 3x2 block of wood which I fixed in place using Epoxy
attachment.php?aid=227

I used JB Marine Weld to fix & seal the keel to the Hull & Prop Shaft..
attachment.php?aid=204
attachment.php?aid=205

I then covered the keel with JB Marine Weld, this made it solid as well as make it water proof
attachment.php?aid=206
attachment.php?aid=207
attachment.php?aid=208
attachment.php?aid=209

I then added the copper braces to add strength joining the top & bottom parts of keel to the prop shaft, again these were fixed in place using JB Marine Weld, these were held in place using a few pieces of scrap wood while the Marine Weld set..
attachment.php?aid=210

Once set I then sanded down to a smooth finish..
attachment.php?aid=211

I then used some Epoxy Putty to shape the area above the prop joining the keel to the rudder support/rudder shaft, I then coated it using JB Marine Weld & then sanded for a smooth finish..
attachment.php?aid=220
attachment.php?aid=221
attachment.php?aid=222

I cut out the rest of the deck pieces, once I have the electrics sorted, these deck pieces will be perma fixed in place & then covered with some filler..
attachment.php?aid=213
attachment.php?aid=214
attachment.php?aid=215

Hole made for access to Rudder Linkage & Servo..
attachment.php?aid=217
attachment.php?aid=218
attachment.php?aid=219

Wheelhouse Stained & Varnished..
attachment.php?aid=194
attachment.php?aid=195
attachment.php?aid=196

Made a start on the wheel, need to add handles which will be in form of 4mm Brass tube..
attachment.php?aid=199

Rudder Linkage / access hole

I cut out access hole for access to the rudder servo/linkage, this will be hidden once the deck/fittings are finished.
attachment.php?aid=223
attachment.php?aid=224

I used a little JB marine weld to hold the position of servo support beams, JB Marine Weld is quite slow setting so It gave me time to make small adjustments during the cure so I made sure alignment was good.
attachment.php?aid=225

I then used some P40 to bond the beams in place & I also made a timber frame around the rudder support & filled this with some P40 & then Gorilla Epoxy around the edges to be sure it was watertight..
attachment.php?aid=226

More pics soon :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yoodoo said:

Sweet , is this Daz from Deeside?

J

Thanks guys :)

Indeed it is! How are you fella?

Heres a pic (the only pic!) i managed to get of today

attachment.php?aid=228

Edited by rctruckz