• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

more speed needed!

dirtygaz

Hi folks, following on from this thread http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21840

I've now had it out for a trial run and im a bit dissapointed, i need advice on how to get it faster, what do i need?

Can someone in the know please list the main things, a wee description of what it does and if you're kind enough, possibly a link to where i can buy it??

Many thanks in advance

Hi folks, following on from this thread http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21840

I've now had it out for a trial run and im a bit dissapointed, i need advice on how to get it faster, what do i need?

Can someone in the know please list the main things, a wee description of what it does and if you're kind enough, possibly a link to where i can buy it??

Many thanks in advance

I would firstly get the bearings, and a new battery pack (if you don't have a decent charger, you might want to look at that to). The bearings will reduce friction, and thus increase performance.

Then you want to look at an ESC and a motor. I have two upgraded motors (a Peak Racing 17T and a Corally 9t, which are being offered for sale; cheaply for what they are). It really depends on how much you want to spend. Do you have a budget in mind?

Without sounding funny, no i dont have a budget, cost isnt really relevant, i want the best tried and tested products, im new to electric so i dont know what stuff is compatible with my current stock set-up and what is best, currently the car is as it came out the box, i have an ansmann ac 14 overnight charger and an ansmann 1900mah battery pack (hey i can read the labels)and a tamiya teu-101bk ESC.

I always thought that this car had more than 1 forward gear, is that right? mine didnt change when i had a test run.

Thanks again

Gary

I want it fast!! but fast enough to control if you know what i mean, i used to have a nitro which was maybe too fast and made controlling it a little more difficult, it certainly needs to be a lot more faster than standard, like i said im new but from what ive gathered the easiest way would be a new motor, but im not sure what would be compatible with the stock ESC.

As for runtimes, i generally lose interest after no more than 20-30 minutes.

I just noticed this morning though that the battery pack i was supplied is 1900mA and the charger i was supplied has listing times for 500 - 1800mA battery packs with 18hours reccomended for the 1800mA, could it be the case that the battery was not charged enough? it was on charge for 24 hours.

Or it could be the charger isnt capable of charging the batteries :helpsmilie:

Id start of by buying a half decent charger. Try and get the propeak varipulse 2500vp, someones selling one here you could probably find one on ebay as well.

Next you want to upgrade your battery pack, these battery packs are cheap and will have good runtimes. You can get battery packs with a higher capacity (mah) such as this one and it will last even longer.

People have run 19T motors on your electronic speed control even though tamiya doesnt recommend it. If don't want to risk it then you'll need to upgrade your speed controller, or go for a slightly slower motor. A race tuned 27T motor will be quite speedy and a big improvement over your standard sliver can motor.

Id start off by buying a decent charger and battery pack and then getting the upgrades that someone else has linked to, ball bearings make alot of difference.

Looking at your body shell you may want to invest in some curved scissors, or a circle cutting tool. Did you have a wheel arch template to draw round? :ph34r:

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

All this info much appreciated guys, if i buy the 4300 battery pack will the charger you have linked to be good enough to charge it? couldnt find one on the ebay store selling the packs.

You reccomend a 27t motor, i understand the lower the number of turns the better/faster, but do you know off hand what the standard one is you mention (the ugly silver thing).

I think il start off with the batterys and charger then work from there, that limitless budget i aforementioned has went right down as ive just blew £500 on a playstation 3 that i will also get bored with after 30 minutes.

Youre patience with the new guy is great :good: , i promise in a few weeks i wont ask these tedious questions. :whistling:

Looking at your body shell you may want to invest in some curved scissors, or a circle cutting tool. Did you have a wheel arch template to draw round? :ph34r:

LOL, actually, i got my mother to do the wheel arches, im hopeless with fiddly things, she also tied up all the wires, i thought she done guite a good job, no templates or nothing, a wee file and they will be good as gold!! ^_^

The ugly silver thing is 27t, a race 27t will be much better though.

Could be 35T as well, but either way a race 27T will make a big amount of difference.

I wouldnt buy the mamba system striaght away either, £120 is alot of money when your new in the hobby.

Edited by Hpi_matrix_stock

Mamba should be fine offroad as well though? Especially if he gets the 5700

Yeh it should be (iv just bought one to put in a T4 :lol: ) I was just thinking of budgets when I was posting that, as £120 can buy a totally different model. Edited my post as I dont really make sense with the off road bit anyway :P

The mamba thing is a no-go, when i say i didnt have a budget i didnt think it meant spending that on a battery, surely the difference a battery makes is only minimal?

Im only driving for fun, i dont know anyone else with a r/c car so im not racing anyone, id just like it to have enough power to do donuts and also drift going forward instead of just in reverse

surely the difference a battery makes is only minimal?

Powerwise yes...but with better batteries you still will notice the difference.

Runtimes...the different capcities make a huge difference.

Btw the mamba is a motor/speed controller combo...dont know if you were getting it mixed up with batteries :unsure:

:lol: were getting carried away. What you need is either a race tuned 19t (and a new esc) or a race tuned 27t, a better charger and a bigger battery pack. That should be plenty for what you need ;)

Agreed

(plus the hops ups, alu main shaft, bearings etc :good:)