• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya WT-01 Build

BlackHole

I mentioned in previous posts that you can get a brushless motor and ESC for about £25 from far east ebay sellers. I'm using these in same model with no problems and fastest I've used is 5200Kv on 2S, I dont bother measuring speed, just know when fast is too fast for either my talent or car can no longer handle it. I've not had a problem with water but I dont take my cars swimming, just usual ground moisture. You wont get ballistic speeds due to gearing which is fixed, but it will be seem significant compared to stock 27T can.

• Like 1

What gearing options do you have in the WT-01? Is it limited/fixed like other Budget Tamiya models?

im a big fan of a lower KV and gearing up if you're allowed hence why I think a 3800kv would be perfect, you could possibly go higher however, with a decrease in torque. 

You can can get a cheap brushless set up from the Far East, and these work well (ez run60a esc with a suitable motor) I just linked to some proven set ups from UK based `Modelsport. 

4 minutes ago, Guns said:

Your servo is waterproof right? Is your reciever waterproofed or in a box?

yep the box says waterproof receiver (not in a box). I think the servo is waterproof too ( Turnigy Power HD 1501MG )

QUICRUN 3656 and QUICRUN WP-10BL60 cost soo much  anything cheaper ? :( 

Edited by BlackHole

Standard pinion is 18T giving a final drive ratio of approx 18:1, a 20T pinion which is the option, drops that to 16:1, you can get an aftermarket high speed gear set which allows a 23 or 25T pinion, which will give a lowest FDR of 12.75:1

Tyres are 130mm diameter.

Edited by NITO
  • Like 1

I've summarised it above, stock WT will do 14mph on silvercan. My 4300kv on 2S does nigh on 30mph. 3S will give it a load more speed and I'm currently working on a 50mph+ model but not convinced the chassis will stay in a straight line!! Tbh, 30mph is more than enough in one of these and it flies off road!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackHole said:

less than £30 including motor :) 

Ok, personally I'd save till you have more. I cant vouch for set ups like this but they should work on paper..

3650 (quite short) motor

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoolRC-S3660-3800KV-4-Poles-Brushless-Sensorless-Motor-for-1-8-1-10-RC-Car-Y2W2-/222144486521?hash=item33b8d7dc79:g:H1EAAOSwnNBXVi~d

Waterproof esc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-60A-Brushless-ESC-Speed-Controller-w-6V-2A-BEC-for-1-10-RC-Car-E8N7-/322172164809?hash=item4b02f51ac9:g:aXkAAOSwjXRXcOmF

from China though, so might not be here for Xmas and basically no warranty 

8 minutes ago, Guns said:

Ok, personally I'd save till you have more. I cant vouch for set ups like this but they should work on paper..

well, I can go for this right now but I could go for less than £50 late December/Jan...

Edited by BlackHole

6 minutes ago, BlackHole said:

well, I can go for this right now but I could go for less than £50 late December/Jan...

Should be fine, the motor is short however. Ive just no idea of the quality of the esc, and its from the Far East so if it breaks/is rubbish, it's gone.

I buy most of my motors from China, ESC'S from Modelsport, unless its Castle then I use Tower Hobbies. 

10 hours ago, Guns said:

Check the descriptions of the ones Ive linked.... I honestly can't understand why you bought that Brushed esc but hey...

The Quikrun 1060 brushed ESC was recommended as a cheap waterproof BEC-equipped LiPo-ready replacement for the non-waterproof BEC-less LiPo cutoff-less stock Tamiya ESC, and in this capacity I still believe it was a good purchase, allowing the OP to get his rig mobile in all weathers for minimal outlay. I apologise if my support of the Quikrun 1060 ESC is seen as a waste of the OP's money, but in my defence, I thought budget was a priority. We can't all afford £700 E-Revos! :)

In my experience, cheap sensored systems are smooth but hardly ever waterproof, while cheap sensorless systems are sometimes waterproof but can be underpowered and prone to cogging, especially in a biggish rig, so you'd want a good one. A good waterproof sensorless system such as those recommended by previous respondents would be great I agree, but is a lot more expensive than a £15ish Quikrun 1060 and a silver can that came free with the kit!

So, if I was in the OP's shoes and really wanted brushless power, I would save for a good brushless system, and if desperate for a performance boost in the interim, fit a 17t budget brushed motor for now, such as the Absima recommended by Johninderby earlier in the thread.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Guns said:

2 pole combo, very underpowered in a 4wd, speaking from experience.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Noj said:

2 pole combo, very underpowered in a 4wd, speaking from experience.

The OP's WT-01 is 2WD, but quite a big 2WD, so your point remains valid IMO.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

The brushed stock motor I have can be run in underwater, mud, with dirty stuff going in the motor holes without damaging it? But not brushless motor?  Is that correct? 

The quicrun 1060 was good. And XV Pilot, budget was a priority (so its not waste of money) ;)

Remember? this is my very first hobbygrade car I bought without experience but help with you guys. 

I'm still considering to buy electronics as I already have a new unused stock esc in the box waiting to be powered. 

Note that I'm not doing a job yet (still in uni) ;) So not alot of money to spend.

in conclution, I think I will enjoy the power I have for now, may be buy that cheap absima/LRP brushed motor for twice the power... will save money for the next car + a brushless system. 

how does that sound? :) 

Edited by BlackHole
  • Like 1

Last word...I'm using same car with said gear, not had any probs to date, 4 pole motor and non-waterproof ESC, 4WD or 2WD. Dont get hung up on water proof. The ESC is high on chassis and you can reduce water ingress by other means if really concerned. Of course it all depends how you drive it, how often you drive it and where. This is a beginners car to learn on and not robust enough to take really heavy bashing. More poles should give more torque. There's many answers to a simple question, digest the suggestions and then take a leap of faith based on your criteria, try it out and learn and have fun from doing it, whether it's right first time or not.