• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC speedboat... For a 3yo

jonesinamillion

Evening all, 

i used to post on here quite a bit having owned Nitro trucks (hpi trophy, Schumacher rascal, mta4), never owned lipo.

the boy (3yo, 4 at Xmas) loves wayching RC speedboats at a local lake, with Xmas around the corner I'm thinking of getting him one, a "toy" is not what I'm after.

key features....

small

simple

self righting

rtr

im thinking this & I'd be grateful for your advice, thoughts, opinions & suggestions...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/proboat-react-17-self-righting-deepv-brushed-rtr/rc-car-products/405135

thanks in advance.

edit - I suppose it is a bit for me but something we'll do together and he will pick up the controls soon enough, he's been riding a bike for almost a year!

Edited by jonesinamillion

any of the smaller boats would be fine for yourslef and the young man as he gets older.

BUT self righting does not always work so its best to have a small fishing rod -reel and weighted bobber to haul in a belly up boat, or a second boat with a towline /or set of forked bumpers to scoop and shove the downed craft back to shore, one thing is never go into the water after a craft you just dont know whats below the surface and you need to show son your a responsable adult and keep yourself safe and him to. 

But yeah small is cheap and easy then as he is older the smaller boat becomes his toy and a new larger boat becomes yours, you then can upgrade his as time goes on adding water cooled esc and brushless motor. something like a little 25-35a seamaster esc and a little 1/18th scale truck brushless ( 4000kv-6000kv) all thats needed then is a small water jacket for the motor so it does not overheat itself and throw its magnets or burn out.

UDI Venom is perfect - my 3 year old uses one. Its not the self righting thats the best feature for him, its the fact it has reverse (his brothers otherwise pretty decent Volantex Tumbler doesn't) and the built in low voltage telemetry that makes the handset bleep when the boat is running low. All of which makes it simple to use and very hard to get into a position you can't recover from, even for a 3 year old! Upgrade opinions are limited though because you'd have to swap out the stock electrics, removing all those mentioned features in the process, but its cheap enough its not worth the bother. I'd just keep it to use as a recovery boat because of how reliable and manoeuvrable it is.

I have just bought a venom for my son mainly because of the features si mentions.I ordered two extra batteries and a charger that can charge all three batteries together.The boat you linked to looks awfully like a udi tempo.The venoms bigger brother but can be had from abroad for £30.I have one on the way for myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...