• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

This is stunning!!!!!

evssv

They look amazing sound mental but the videos I've seen wasn't that impressive. Nor this rc but converted fgs. The best video was a usa built ford mustang FG onroad. But it just made noise and smoke mainly.  

1 hour ago, Leeb said:

Oh boy, the sound that must make.

ho yes.:wub:..I want a jet engine to nail to a bit of wood.....I`d quite happily site there and wine it up jus to hear it....:yes:...or strap it to me baj....:lol:...I`m sure that gold looking tube going to the outlet is for a afterburner.....if so then that is the ultimate imo...:yes:....looks/sounds amazing....

Edited by evssv

1) Certainly, stunningly & beautifully executed

2) That brass tube running to the exhaust outflow is the Exhaust Gas Temp sensor - a key part of its internal start-up & running telemetry 

3) You'll never see it driven in anger in real life, because of certain limitations - the start-up cycle will use up half of that fuel, & then once running, it'll likely flame out upon acceleration, as the little fuel left gets thrown to the back of the tank. This is unless it has some clever baffles built in

4) I'm not sure that the internals would put up with the heat of any notable run-time - it goes to about 500/600°C, which I'm not sure the shell is rated to! That chrome tube has to have a gap between the nozzle & where it starts - it's not pushed on or over at all; Even that exit-aperture in the body might struggle not to melt if running for 10mins or more

I'm working on a video for mine - ugly as sin, but functional as hell (Maverick Blackout)  

• Like 1

For me, and especially on-paper - it's an amazing combination. You have arguably one of the most respected RC car platforms on the planet (is my conclusion), converted to work with a form of propulsion that even to this day is essentially the most advanced combustion-based mechanical form of propulsion that mankind has invented, full stop. I see rockets as more 'devices' rather than machines, cos no moving parts.  Jet engines have taken the traditional stages of combustion (suck-squeeze-bang-blow) and made them function axially - it's actually quite crazy.  I'm totally with Evssv on this - in that even on a bench, these things are utterly fascinating to watch. Putting it on a vehicle, gives us just one more excuse to run them, without people thinking we're totally bonkers.

This mini's engine will idle at about 50,000 rpm, and at full throttle will be about 160,000 rpm or more. From an engineering standpoint alone - it's one of the pinnacles of engineering feats!

For those interested, that black cap/nose thing is its starter motor.  It'll spin the engine up to about 25,000/29,000rpm - whereafter the engine itself takes fully over ('fuel ramp').

That little glow-plug looking thing is exactly that, and has its own fuel supply - it vaporises the fuel for initial start-up.  The fuel pipe going into the actual purple shroud is the main fuel supply that kicks in during fuel-ramp.

It's all controlled by two main valves, which are in turn controlled by an ECU - called a FADEC - Full Authority Digital Engine Control.

The latest Wren and Jetcat engines have all of this internalised - making for only one fuel supply line needed, a fully internal glow-plug, fully internal valves, fully internal EGT sensor, and brushless fuel pump and starter motor.