• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sensorless motor timing

Brandon

Can't get my head around this! If I lower the motor timing of my castle 2650kv via the castle link, does this increase torque and reduce heat or if I advance the motor timing, does this increase the rpm and lower torque so increasing heat?

Well I've been running 18/42 on 4s in my wr8 which is farely light. But I've noticed it's running a bit hot. I didn't want to decrease the pinion teeth too much as It would take a lot of the speed away so I thought motor timing would help with this.

ill soon find out wether I notice any difference or not. Maybe it's the heat we've been having that increases the temps a lot.

Yeah I do just hadn't had it out. I used the 5 second touch on the motor. I'll be using the temp gun when I go out again to see if it produces less heat or not 

when i was racing using brushed setups you would keep changing the timing until  you were happy with the speed and pulling away on the track.   as for brushless i noticed the difference on a slash 4x4 and a TT mt4  but as i wasn't racing i didn't bother to much about it.

Awesome! I'll be bringing my laptop with me tomorrow to switch it to 0 to try that. Currently I'm going to try the 1.5 If I can remember and see how that goes

are you going round a track or just bashing   as you have to factor in gearing.   so once you have a good setup  you could gear down but then up the timing or go the other way 

Yeah mate you will notice the heat if you put to much timing on a motor just start a 0 and test it at the next till your happy with the performance you mite get some cogging if the motors timing is to high as well

timing advances the rotor, like advancing the distributor on a car, each motor has a sweetspot too. I always run 0 timing so the motor is less stressed so lasts longer. If you ask the manufacturer of the motor, they should give you the sweetspot for the motor to run at its most efficiency. My team epic duo in my hooligan says 15 degrees is its perfect timing but you can adjust the endbell to fine tune it. Think of TDCI,CTDI etc diesel engines, they run 0 degrees of timing so they are more efficient but have more power with a smaller lump as opposed to diesels of old running 15-20 degrees of timing but needing a bigger engine to get the same performance.