• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Savage

BAMF SAVAGE

Hello all, 

I have a HPI Savage that has had a catastrophic engine failure, sad times :ack: so, it's time for a new one, the old is a 4.6, I'm toying with the idea of a 5.9, but I need some advice, do I replace like for like, as in 4.6 or more grunt with a 5.9, have looked at Hong Nor 5.9, fairly priced, HPI 5.9 and 4.6 are pricey, and above budget for immediate purchase, I also looked at the STS D30M again, fairly priced, so which is best, has anyone got experience of the budget motors

any and all advice welcome 

cheers ?

First off.... the Hong Nor 5.9 and the HPI 5.9 are both the same engine. Both are just rebranded Force R.36 motors with afew cosmetic alterations.

Secondly.....it's not a very good engine.

They have a history of reliability issues, with a speciality in busted conrods. They also don't make as much power as you think.....and  also drink the nitro a lot faster. I would not advise using one.

If you want to go the Force route...I would suggest going for the 5.2cc .32 unit. It's better balanced in a Savage, gives about the same power, and gets longer runtimes. I have had one in a Savage for a while, and it's been rock solid. It's getting towards the end of it's expected life....but it still starts well, runs sweet and holds a tune. Just seal the backplate and carb neck with some silicon instant gasket, coz Force don't bother to make them very gastight. 17/47 gearing and it's spot on.

In all honesty...if you set your mind to a 5.9 and were looking to spend £125....spend another £25 and get the LRP Z30 spec2. You will be glad you did. More power, better quality nad solid reliability.

I have a couple of STS .28's that have behaved well, but you do have to be careful as there are a lot of low quality copies of these engines. Get a good one and they are fine. Get a knock off and it will be rubbish. Mine are run as a pair in a Twinzilla and have given no trouble. Just be careful about your choice of retailer..and REALLY read the feedback.

I have the 5.9 in my savage x, it was a pain at first with a fair bit of tinkering....and swearing involved due to starting and running issues. Once I got it  all sused out it's been fine and beats my mates 3.2 up on the quarry. That said it's still temperamental when it wants to be ? but that's all part of rc cars. I would probably look for a different motor when this one goes