• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tyre choices?

Smithy111

I may soon be getting a 1/10 2wd racing buggy to practice racing with on I believe an astro track near me. Can anyone suggest tyres front and back? (im a novice to racing so prob wont make much difference to me anyway lol)

Front tyre choice is typically Schumacher yellow stagger ribs or cut staggers, run without inserts. The exact version will depend on the car and track as to which gives the best steering, and whether it's too much. Low profile cut staggers are the most common version.

For the back end Schumacher yellow minispkes are the dominant tyre, but can be very aggressive and may need the outer row of spikes trimming off to calm them down. Many people are switching to Ballistic buggy White minispkes which have more forward grip but less side bite so suit forward motor cars more. All with medium inserts.

In wet conditions you want the same basic tyre types but in silver compound (Schumacher) or green (Ballistic buggy). 

Personally my new Yz2 runs Sch yellow low cuts at the front, BB White minispkes at the rear in the dry, swapped with silver cuts in the wet and BB greens.

Tyre wear on rears is pretty severe - they don't look bad but will lose their edge after 2 meetings. You can get quite a lot more before they are totally shot though.

It's ok, converting to mid motor is possible but shows that it wasn't well thought out. For starting out rear motors are easier anyway.