• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Force 32 users

pug=309

Hey, im sure there are some of you running a force 32 (well i hope so), im running byron 25% with factory carb settings but the engine seems a little on the hot side, i have am rb fuel filter, traxas 5493-t-dc-r resonator pipe using a ROSSI R6 cold plug (i've read that larger capacity engines need colder plugs), i've not opened it up in any way, just turned the carb round (needed to for my truggy), it has a force fan flywheel with alu shoes  and 17t c/bell.

Can anyone tell me if i need to shim the head or are force 32's meant to run hotter than the 28's i've ran before?

Thanks

Allan

30 minutes ago, pug=309 said:

Hey, im sure there are some of you running a force 32 (well i hope so), im running byron 25% with factory carb settings but the engine seems a little on the hot side, i have am rb fuel filter, traxas 5493-t-dc-r resonator pipe using a ROSSI R6 cold plug (i've read that larger capacity engines need colder plugs), i've not opened it up in any way, just turned the carb round (needed to for my truggy), it has a force fan flywheel with alu shoes  and 17t c/bell.

Can anyone tell me if i need to shim the head or are force 32's meant to run hotter than the 28's i've ran before?

Thanks

Allan

Sounds like you've done most things.

What about a lower % nitro with higher % oil? Will take the sting off the power but give a little more lube.

I don't know enough about the old nitro stuff really.

Mind you my .28 is giving 230F at idle. If I pull LSN any richer it cuts on throttle. Maybe I should try going to 20%.

This manual don't say much :rolleyes:

http://www.ofna.com/pdf/52208-32-FORCE-ENGINE.pdf

• Like 1

Try it without the fuel filter first before forking out silly money on exhaust systems. Read posts on here before (Trophy thread basically Force .28) where regardless of needle settings the filter can cause the fuel to lean out as it passes through it.

If still the same, if it's just a basher maybe the Savage XL 5.9 pipe set which technically uses a Force .32.would be a more affordable way to go over an efra, nova or similar.

Edit: Noticed in that earlier manual it suggests break-in using 20% byrons which has a 16% castor. The 25% looks like it has about 9% castor, bit of a difference there. Loads of factors could explain the heat by the looks of it :rolleyes:

Bloody nitro's.

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

First things first ...have you sealed the motor?

Mine ran hot, and sealing backplate and carb neck sorted it. I have found Force engines to have pretty poor sealing from new.

25% nitro is right, and I have not needed any extra shims in mine.

The XL5.9 runs the Force .36.....not the .32, and it's not as good a motor in my view. The .32 is a much sweeter unit.

Also, as mentioned, bin that Traxxas pipe. It's optimised for a very different engine. Any half decent side pipe would work better. I also run mine with a cool plug, but I have not tried Rossi plugs. You could try a swap to a medium to see if that changes anything. Plug 'temps' are not actually anything to do with temperature of running...but do affect the timing of an engine, so are very critical to optimum performance. The 'stick an OS9 in' approach works for most, but is a compromise.

• Like 1

The engine is untouched by me bar turning the carb, yeah i had read up that the bigger the capacity the cooler the plug, something about the colder the plug the later the detonation, the rossi plug was the only one i could really find that was less than a tenner (was tight at the time), the rossi plug is an R6 which seems to follow the hpi temp rating/numbering, but ill try and grab a couple os9 plugs aswell as a new pipe and seal the packplate and carb and give that a go and let you know.

Thanks all

Allan

3 hours ago, tomr said:

Let us know how you get on :)

If your engine is starting and running ok other than the heat issue I'll put money on it being the traxxas pipe 

Yes the engine runs fine, even putting a savage up onto 2 wheels at half throttle, just the temps are way up

1 hour ago, Nitroholic said:

I got a couple of pipes hanging around if you need one.

Thank you for the offer, i have a few 21-28 pipes here, just need to get a manifold to fit the engine, with the sale of my savage i should be able to get one.

Should have linkages etc sorted mid week, so ill report back once done.

Thanks again

Allan

On 7/3/2016 at 13:01, Nitroholic said:

The 'stick an OS9 in' approach works for most,

Hey, i can't find os9's anywhere, 8 and 10 no problem but not 9, they don't even show the 9 on the os site.  Can i ask where you get yours from?   Or which other plug would you say would be a suitable replacement for it?

Thanks

Allan

25 minutes ago, pug=309 said:

Hey, i can't find os9's anywhere, 8 and 10 no problem but not 9, they don't even show the 9 on the os site.  Can i ask where you get yours from?   Or which other plug would you say would be a suitable replacement for it?

Thanks

Allan

I can't see one listed either. Judging by the jargon I'd say R5 is suited so your R6 sounds right however.

The jargon does say "R5: For leaner needle settings and high-nitro/high-rpm scale racing". The R6 could actually be forcing you to lean it out a bit much to get your performance requirements giving less oil to the engine. Who knows. These things are a pita!

I'm sticking with the stock R5 with my HPI .28 balls to it :ack:

• Like 1

Oh....drat. They stopped making OS9s. You'd probably be OK with an OS8 ( medium) but it won't be as good. I still have a few OS9's ( yes...they are quite old packets....) and will be hanging onto them!

Of the current crop..I'd be looking at the OS A5, which I have used with some success in an RB.28 .... or a Mccoys MC8. Both are medium/cold plugs and both are good quality manufacturers.

Looking at the Rossi plug charts, I think an R6 is probably too cold for general running, with an R4/R5 being better depending on ambient temps. Their charts however, are conflicting!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

Oh....drat. They stopped making OS9s. You'd probably be OK with an OS8 ( medium) but it won't be as good. I still have a few OS9's ( yes...they are quite old packets....) and will be hanging onto them!

Of the current crop..I'd be looking at the OS A5, which I have used with some success in an RB.28 .... or a Mccoys MC8. Both are medium/cold plugs and both are good quality manufacturers.

Looking at the Rossi plug charts, I think an R6 is probably too cold for general running, with an R4/R5 being better depending on ambient temps. Their charts however, are conflicting!

I've been looking at the os a5 but that is the new designation for the old os 10, so might that be too cold?

As you mention Mccoys, a few sites have mentioned that they're heat ranges are simillar to os, so might look further into that.

Im not looking for out and out performance as i think i have just enough capacity to have the engine more to rich without sacrificing and fun, just temps down and slightly leaner than factory setting.

Should have the rest of the needed bits in the next few days, so fingers crossed

Allan

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, right, had her out a couple of times and i thing i know the issue, im almost certain that there is an air leak from the exhaust gasket, it was idling like a pig, hesitant, over reving after i let off the throttle, so i riched the settings right up (both hsn and lsn) and my what a difference, ran beautiful, super responsive no over reving when backing off the throttle, till the alu clutch exploded and jammed the clutch bell and flywheel together, when i mean riched it up, i mean thhe hsn is like a turn and a 1/2 from falling out.  the exhaust gasket that im using is an hpi purple one, intended for the F4.6, the header pipe dose not go fully over it, no matter what i've tried, so i pushed as had as i could then added 2 springs and figured that would suffice, guess i was wrong, what gaskets are you guys using and do you have a link? currently using a savage header and an efra-9863 pipe (i think)

Thanks

Allan

thk mine r answer ones..orange....got my force .32 in my savage now with the tasis pipe with 2x springs on the header...I do have a cen pipe to try aswell.....jus waiting on sum ally cone washers to finish it off proper then go run it in for a few more tanks...:yes:....running os8 plug in it aswell.....runs sweet....:yes:.well fires up and ticks over nicely....

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1