• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Losi 5ive project :)

losi8igh

That's, ok by me. The item arrived safely and w/o damage....just as intended....this makes me happy and not in bother with Nige (who was ill last week, btw, but is now back again feeling better):lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NG15 said:

Why on earth would you sell it after building it? 

As as for the hard to tighten bolt I just down an Allen key. 

In the time it had taken to do I doubted whether or not I would keep it but a quick flawless run this afternoon changed all that :)

Really pleased that it all worked perfectly seeing as it has been totally in rebuilt from the ground up and that I haven't got that much experience of RC cars and non at all of petrol cars.

Petrol is so much easier than nitro,next to no fiddling needed with the engine,I did a little bit of tuning but I think there is so much more there to give once I have a couple more runs under my belt.

Only did 500ml of fuel as it is borderline with it raining and didn't want to take it home and into the house with petrol still in it.

The one allen bolt was hard to get at as the shape of manifold makes access a bit tricky,in the end I just cut an old allen key right down,I cut the bent section in half and was able to get in there with it and do the bolt up easily :) 

Edited by losi8igh
  • Like 1

Only "issue" is stronger front springs are needed.

Even with the adjusters wound over half way down the stock front ones are way too soft.

I thought I had broke a front shock shaft somehow but the bottom spring mount had popped off making the spring end up at a crazy bendy angle but the shaft isn't bent.

Few bits of sheep pooh here and there but nothing else :)

Wheels/tyres look very unbalanced to me though,we will see.
Naff bit of video for now that doesn't show anything in particular other than that it moves :)

Glad you enjoyed it. Every 5ive I've sold I've regretted. 

As for springs I've always found the stiffness to be fine with 50wt oil, but a lot of people see them as being to soft, I just think it's more realistic as CORR trucks are really soft suspension wise and I love how the 5ive rolls and slides around. The one I've got now came with red springs so I'll give them ago but I've got some blues incase I don't like it. 

9 hours ago, NG15 said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Every 5ive I've sold I've regretted. 

As for springs I've always found the stiffness to be fine with 50wt oil, but a lot of people see them as being to soft, I just think it's more realistic as CORR trucks are really soft suspension wise and I love how the 5ive rolls and slides around. The one I've got now came with red springs so I'll give them ago but I've got some blues incase I don't like it. 

Could really make use of the £s to be honest BUT I did spend them on this in the first place and I will never get back what has been spent so I may as well use it :) 

Front end is a bit to saggy for my liking,I put the stock 40wt oil in and not going to change that yet so whilst not the cheaper option I will just put the stiffer springs on instead.

The rear came with stiffer springs when I got it although not sure what make they are as they aren't Losi ones for sure.

13 minutes ago, Noj said:

45wt oil and orange springs, job done ;)

I did think about the orange but the usual choice appears to be the red.

I got the DDM ones though rather than the Losi version as they were cheaper and I think they are a little firmer than the Losi reds.

Tried a mesh mod of my own design :)

There is quite a big gap in the front of the 5ive that seems to let quite a bit of stuff in from what I have seen.

I got some of the aluminium mesh from Halfords and have done this which has closed the gap up quite nicely.

No idea if it will actually work or not though.

172de1497591377.jpg f20e31497591381.jpg

Also had the stiffer front springs arrive today that are mych better than the slightly saggy stock ones :)

84ace9497591391.jpg 

Well the mesh didn't quite work as planned :)

I attached it to the cage as you would but what I had failed to take into account is the cage moves in the event of a crash/rollover so in fact it basically got ripped to shreds at the mounting points so I have now taken it off.

I think I will just buy an Outerwears cover eventually rather than try and come up with my own solution again :)

Went out again early this morning and had a pretty good run :)

5ive ran really well and didn't miss a beat,it took a bit of a beating this time and survived numerous rolls and crashes without any major damage.

I did hit a protruding manhole cover at one point pretty hard,the Losi 8ights would have snapped an arm if I had done the same to them,this took it fine although it did knock a sizable chunk out of one of the front suspension arms.

Had a problem with the one disc jamming on as well.

I did think that one of the springs I had put on the pads had broken and got jammed inside it,I took the diff out though and whilst the spring was broken that wasn't the problem.

It seems like the impact from the manhole cover was enough to make the one centre diff mount move (the side without the Bartolone brace on) and the diff including the bearing had come out of the one side of the centre diff mount and was causing it to bind up.

Might look at getting some alloy pieces for the centre diff mounts.

Bit of a concern but it was a heavy impact and I can see how it could have caused the problem.

529f01498781673.jpg 

Had another problem when I ran it yesterday afternoon as well.

Ended up snapping off the air filter,or so I thought.

One to many rolls/crashes and I looked inside the car to see half the air filter assembly with the Outerwears on rattling around loose inside.

At first glance I though it was completely broke but turns out it has just "popped" off as it is in two halves and the clips holing both halves together had just come undone.

Couple of minutes and it was back together.

The air filter assembly is very close to the side of the body shell though which is why I think it came off after one too many rolls :)