• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Liner Pinching

alex199020

Right i found this on RCmodz and though it would be useful to have in the guides section.

OK this is a project I decided to try out after seeing an auction on ebay for a sleeve resize. The auction said that the sleeve was the one that wore out instead of the piston, and the only thing that the engine needed to work again was a sleeve resize.

I kept thinking about this a decided to resize my worn out sleeve, it worked excellent for me so I decided to sell the idea. I suggest you try it with one that you are not using just in case it doesn't come out right for you the first time. ((This will only work with normal wear out piston and sleeve, not scratched)))

Here is what you'll need:

* Hose clamp -- from your local auto parts dealer about. 50¢

* The corresponding tool to tight the clamp.

* The sleeve to be resized (DUH!!)

Put the clamp around the sleeve (The sleeve I'm using is from my Pro.15 engine) and tighten it up. Do not tighten it too much. Tighten it until its hard to move the piston inside the sleeve.

sleeve-resize.jpg

*** In this step use caution ***

Put the sleeve on the stove so it gets really hot. The stove I used was a glass top stove so I just put the sleeve on top of the naked glass. If you have a glass top or a normal ELECTRIC stove just put the sleeve right on top, but if you use a GAS stove I would suggest putting the sleeve inside a pan or some kind of recipient so the sleeve is not exposed directly to the fire. I left it there for about 2 minutes.

stove_resize.jpg

********CAUTION***********

Grab the sleeve with a pair of pliers (be gentle with it when using pliers, since its really hot, you could easily bend the sleeve out of shape) or some oven gloves, and QUICKLY drop it inside a container with water. This will cause the sleeve to stay the way you tighten it up when you take away the clamp.

Now, if you can't get the piston to go inside the sleeve after the process, then take the sleeve, this time without the clamp, put it upside down on top of the stove and heat it again. After a moment take the pliers and grab the piston by the connecting rod and force it into the sleeve. This will open up the sleeve and allow the piton to enter tightly. DO NOT leave the piston inside the sleeve when you drop it inside the water again. Take the piston out by just grabbing the sleeve with the pliers and pulling the piston by the connecting rod. The rod will get really hot too so use another pair of pliers or just a rolled up piece of paper towel. Dry everything well and rinse it with denatured alcohol.

After this just put some after run oil on the piston and sleeve. Put the engine back together putting after run oil on everything. You will have to break-it-in again. I hope this saves you some money on a new engine or piston and sleeve replacement.

I did this and it worked for me, I'm sure it will work for you too, but I'm not responsible for any damage you cause to your self, to others, or to your property while doing this.

http://www.rcmodz.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=20;t=8

[ Me, RCmodz and msuk-forum are not responsible if you damage you or your property while folowing this guide.It is your responsibility. If you are not 100% happy dont try it]

• Like 1

what would worry me is that a jubilee clip does not clamp even through 360 degrees, where the tightening device is there are gaps either side before the band of metal makes contact with the sleeve, it would end up oval.

Also quenching the sleeve will make it brittle and harder altering its properties possibly for the worse.

For the price of a new liner why bother.

its a good idea actually :)

I tried using some pipe grippers... and totally naffed up liner... it was mis-shapen so the seal wasn't great even tho it was very tight overall....

Ziggy

kool that on the t-15 zig?

got my old t-15 in bits at the side of me and am contemplatin it but i havent got and denautured alcohol to clean it with??

also do you just turn the clip till its tight then one litle bit more or what??

Ye you have to do that after you have the right amount of pinch...other wise it will just go back to how it was when the clamp is taken off :good:

Give it about 2 mins on full heat on the hob .. as said above if its a gas hob put it in a pan..then put in into a dish of COLD water and bobs your uncle :good:

Ye you have to do that after you have the right amount of pinch...other wise it will just go back to how it was when the clamp is taken off :good:

Give it about 2 mins on full heat on the hob .. as said above if its a gas hob put it in a pan..then put in into a dish of COLD water and bobs your uncle :good:

Dont it spit??? Hot metal to cold water???

I MIGHT try that when this mix of liner and piston have no compression :)

There's some but its a little low... about 3mm from top before it gets stuck :)

Ziggy

I was thinking about the hose clip idea and while it seems to work great, schumach3r's right. They don't pull in evenly all around.

Try it for yourself, get an old one and screw it all the way in and see how it gets more and more oval as it gets smaller.

So, engineering head on, what would make a hose clip pull out-of-round?

I came up with 2 main things, there might be more.

It seems to me that all clips, no matter what size they are, are all pretty "round" at their specified size but the smaller you tighten them the more out-of-round they become. I also suspect that once you have one in place around the liner, the friction of the liner against the band of the clip will mean that there's least tension in the clip at the point nearest the screw and the most just immediately at the other side of the "worm", where the worm is acting against the steel band, causing the clip to pull into an egg shape.

I'm not too sure just how much difference the tension in the band will make but a smear of grease or oil will definitely reduce the chances of it pulling out of shape anyway so is probably worth the effort.

But I am sure that the actual size of the hose clip that you use will have a critical effect on the end result so MHO would be that you go with the hose clip that most closely fits the size of the liner. One that ONLY JUST fiots would be ideal.

Remember that hose clips were never designed to be perfectly round, the fact that they are designed to be used on rubber hoses, where they can "squish into" the hose itself means they will seal anyway.

Go careful on those liners, guys.

Edited by allan1010

I try!

I must do summat right, I built a staionary steam engine from castings a long time ago.

https://vault1.secured-url.com/reeves2000/s...?sub_cat_id=190

I bottled out on making the boiler though, and used a bought one fired by meths. I used to fire it up when we had friends round, it drove my old lady NUTS ... which was why I did it LOL.

Nothin' like the smell of oily steam about the place to make it seem homely :whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

We all know its not perfect but you have to remeber its just a cheap way to make liner last a bit longer before you replace it. If you wanted to get it pefectly pinched you would buy a proper pnching machine or send it to a pro. :good: This versions for cheap skates :lol:

We all know its not perfect but you have to remeber its just a cheap way to make liner last a bit longer before you replace it. If you wanted to get it pefectly pinched you would buy a proper pnching machine or send it to a pro. :good: This versions for cheap skates :lol:

HELL YEAH!!

If it gets another month out of it? costing about £5 for stuff and breakin fuel costs

U really cant go wrong :)

Saves £30 - £60 For a month

Wonder how many times u can actually do this?

rofl

Ziggy

Bloody cheap skates, i bought a new engine when i needed a crank case just for the sake of it lol. :P

Then again i've got too much money for my own good :D

:lol: See this is for people who cant do that :P It no wear near a perfect cure for loss of compresion but its cheap and easy and makes liner last a bit longer :)

• 5 months later...

Well i gave it a shot :) as i've got a compression less OS 18cv-rx and a dead rush evo :P

OOOO how it'd be nice to have them both running? :P

Anyway :)

I put my clip on till it was tight to turn

And put it on till it started smoking / spitting of water :)

Didnt put the clip on tight enough nor long enough

But i got the OS engine running again for the first time in 5 months :)

It Really does work :)

Just need to make it tighten hotter in future :)

Oh and 1 tip : DONT drop it on the floor.... i've got a ring on the vinyl floor we have got where it melted it 8-)

Not the best idea yet :)

Ziggy

• 14 years later...
On 04/02/2007 at 16:56, alex199020 said:

Right i found this on RCmodz and though it would be useful to have in the guides section.

http://www.rcmodz.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=20;t=8

[ Me, RCmodz and msuk-forum are not responsible if you damage you or your property while folowing this guide.It is your responsibility. If you are not 100% happy dont try it]

Bro I want to do this I have 4 engins that need new piston and cylinders I will try this but can u give me a detailed description of the tools I'll need please ...ps with this work on my hpi k4.6

20211017_020421.jpg

20211017_020353.jpg