• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What do you enjoy playing with?

DBXL Smithy

What do you LIKE?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like more?

The difference between any SCT and an 8th electric buggy is huge on the track, the buggy's absolutely trounce the trucks in speed, handling and jumping. This also translates to bashing if you like your RC to handle well. SCT's are better in other areas though such as if you like your RC's to look more scale. :) 

There is a conversion called a Backslash that turns a Slash into a 1/8th buggy which shows how similar they are. The SCTE and Tekno are based of 1/8ths.

The real differences are the tyres and the shell, both of which work against SCT's. Being designed to look scale meant compromises in aerodynamics and wheel profile - with the shell off and 1/8th wheels fitted the chassis perform similarly.

Interesting to note that as a rule upgrades for 1/8ths are less common, or at least less talked about. They tend not to need them out of the box, so they are rarer.

Edited by Si Coe

Another bonus for slash 4x4 it's all waterproof? Not looked hard enough to see any other eletric rc cars matching slash 4x4 the design looks good on the inside.

Still looking at other bulky eletric rc cars.

Edited by DBXL Smithy

Since I am new to the eletric scene will all 1/10 bodies fit any 1/10 car I buy?

I would an eletric 4x4 that has a lot of parts.

@Praet0r87 the truck you linked me all the parts are "no stock" near enough. Imagine breaking a part and waiting weeks to repair. :D

Edited by DBXL Smithy

Its an Associated. Using CML''s shopatron if a UK store stocks the parts you can find it and order through them. Works for any UK store, and means its never a struggle to source parts for brands they supply. But failing that Associated are a huge global brand, as big as Traxxas, and stores in the US have tons of stock. It wasn't a challenge to keep 20 year old RC10's running before they re-re'd the car because Associated spares are plentiful.

5 minutes ago, Si Coe said:

Its an Associated. Using CML''s shopatron if a UK store stocks the parts you can find it and order through them. Works for any UK store, and means its never a struggle to source parts for brands they supply. But failing that Associated are a huge global brand, as big as Traxxas, and stores in the US have tons of stock. It wasn't a challenge to keep 20 year old RC10's running before they re-re'd the car because Associated spares are plentiful.

Will all 1/10 bodies fit any 1/10 car I buy?

Well in that respect I'm not surprised, since essentially an electric RC works pretty much everywhere. Nitro and Petrol can be subject to noise limitations, and tend to be only for larger RC's which need more space to run, whereas electric can be pretty much any scale (including a few electric large scales), quiet in use and even usable indoors for smaller scales.

Electric is always available - this does not mean that for some people a nitro or petrol could be preferable, just that electric is always an option.

Edited by Si Coe
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Si Coe said:

Well in that respect I'm not surprised, since essentially an electric RC works pretty much everywhere. Nitro and Petrol can be subject to noise limitations, and tend to be only for larger RC's which need more space to run, whereas electric can be pretty much any scale (including a few electric large scales), quiet in use and even usable indoors for smaller scales.

Electric is always available - this does not mean that for some people a nitro or petrol could be preferable, just that electric is always an option.

I do want an electric car for sure my neighbours don't like the noise of my petrol bartolone exhaust decided to sell my petrol rc car because it's to much maintenance and costs a lot to upgrade/fix etc. Electric rc cars seem easy to work on and parts are very cheap compared to nitro/petrol rc cars. 

There are plenty of folk on here who would advise against getting an FTX Carnage. I bought one. I love it. I ran it as standard for a while then rebuilt it with a brushless combo and different body, wheels and tyres. It's bonkers. It goes like stink. It costs me money. But I love it. I've since bought a Hooligan (similar chassis) and have made that even more bonkers than the Carnage, I love it. 

BUT, I have also bought an FTX Surge MT. I HATE it! Brittle plastics and a tendency to run stupidly hot. 

I own 4 Tamiya chassis, all very different, all modified/upgraded to some extent, all great fun. Good parts support and easy to individualise. 

My BSD Prime Baja came as a Prime Storm SCT sent to me to review for RRCi mag. As soon as the review was published I stripped it down, rebuilt it with bearings, a brushless combo and a different body, it's a cheap RC but parts are out there and now there is a gear diff it's a fun basher. 

That's my take on a selection of my fleet. All electric, mostly all 10th scale and mostly all FUN. 

That for me is the most important thing, FUN. Yes, reliability and parts support are important but what's the point in bashing if you're not having fun? If it ain't fun you may as well be racing :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chewbacca said:

BUT, I have also bought an FTX Surge MT. I HATE it! Brittle plastics and a tendency to run stupidly hot. 

This doesn't surprise me, one bit! Tay Models stock FTX cars, trucks and buggies, and with great success. Carnage, Hooligan, Vantage, all reliable and sturdy.

However, the Surge is APPALLING!! One guy bought it for his son, and it breaks, constantly! Broke it boxing day, simply jumping off of a kerb. I stayed behind late (covered the shop), to fix it for him, for which he was very grateful. The next day, he reversed it into a kerb, and the rear end basically fell off. Another guy had gone through 2 diffs in a week, with stock power system.

The CML rep said the "mk 2" had improved plastics, but Alun has found it exactly the same. He has banned CML from supplying them and has removed them from his website!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Praet0r87 said:

This doesn't surprise me, one bit! Tay Models stock FTX cars, trucks and buggies, and with great success. Carnage, Hooligan, Vantage, all reliable and sturdy.

However, the Surge is APPALLING!! One guy bought it for his son, and it breaks, constantly! Broke it boxing day, simply jumping off of a kerb. I stayed behind late (covered the shop), to fix it for him, for which he was very grateful. The next day, he reversed it into a kerb, and the rear end basically fell off. Another guy had gone through 2 diffs in a week, with stock power system.

The CML rep said the "mk 2" had improved plastics, but Alun has found it exactly the same. He has banned CML from supplying them and has removed them from his website!

Alun sounds like a wise chap. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DBXL Smithy said:

I'm going to Wheelspinmodels hopefully on Wednesday to have a look around at all electric rc cars but I am still interested in the slash 4x4.

I might not like it close up I may change my mind. 

I own 6 at the moment  the reason i got them is because spares are very easy to get  also it has loads of options for upgrades.  And it can be turned into the stampede also the backslash. But if i wanted a car to race  then i wouldn't choose the slash.  lol   If you buy one then get a used one as they are overpriced when new  also the VXL system is not that good.

On 28 April 2016 at 22:02, Praet0r87 said:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-prosc-4x4-brushless-rtr-electric-4wd-short-course-truck-white/rc-car-products/389009

Splash-proof RTR Team Associated SCT... better designed, better build, better handling (by miles), better at jumps, better looking and better priced than the Traxarse.

That appears to be a bargain!!?

I know of a VERY special Carnage currently available on the open market....

.....a Carnage that has had EVERY item from the FTX options list installed....

.....a thing of such immense beauty, its owner has never run it....

The price, today, for this masterpiece in blue and carbon, a mere......

£270. 

Yes, that's right folks, a mere  £270. :o

This is a price reduction of £30 to try and create interest.....

......should anyone wish to know from which retailer this can be purchased (and believe me, the shop owner wants this shifted ASAP), let me know. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Noj said:

I know of a VERY special Carnage currently available on the open market....

.....a Carnage that has had EVERY item from the FTX options list installed....

.....a thing of such immense beauty, its owner has never run it....

The price, today, for this masterpiece in blue and carbon, a mere......

£270. 

Yes, that's right folks, a mere  £270. :o

This is a price reduction of £30 to try and create interest.....

......should anyone wish to know from which retailer this can be purchased (and believe me, the shop owner wants this shifted ASAP), let me know. 

A fully hopped up version of this?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-1-10-4wd-brushless-truggy-rtr-waterproof/rc-car-products/40397

3 minutes ago, Guns said:

That's what the dude said!

Oh yes indeed Guns....

A customer built it, cos he enjoys building, then asked the shop to sell it for him.....

FTX have just dropped the prices on carnage and Vantage spares, notably ally hubs which used to cost.........£70 a pair:lol: so the chap possibly paid old prices....however, it still remains an FTX Carnage despite the bling....

Had it been listed on eBay, we would all have known cos Evssv would have started a thread on it, innit! :lol:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Noj said:

Aye, most of us know that....the shop owner knows it....and I would say regrets trying to do the chap a favour :lol:

Sarcasm doesnt travel well online haha. I thought you were trying to pass it off as a bargain haha