• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

4 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Is there any free/cheap mods for the mf-01x other than replace the stock crap shocks ? 

Yes indeed!

You can use a bag of long ball connectors P/N 9805825 to space the upper links and lower shock mounts further forwards. This stops the right rear upper link from fouling the propshaft gear cover and causing asymmetrical suspension droop.

2018-08-16_01-38-43

2018-08-16_01-39-05

Another improvement is to use a pair of 10mm m3 grub screws to occupy the second set of holes which secure the extension pieces to the rear uprights. This gives them a more secure connection and minimises slop in this area. 

2018-08-16_01-39-24

2018-08-16_01-56-34

You can also improve the servo saver by using a tiny piece of tape to reduce slop between the grey and cream pieces like so:

2018-08-16_01-40-37

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Yes indeed!

You can use a bag of long ball connectors P/N 9805825 to space the upper links and lower shock mounts further forwards. This stops the right rear upper link from fouling the propshaft gear cover and causing asymmetrical suspension droop.

2018-08-16_01-38-43

2018-08-16_01-39-05

Another improvement is to use a pair of 10mm m3 grub screws to occupy the second set of holes which secure the extension pieces to the rear uprights. This gives them a more secure connection and minimises slop in this area. 

2018-08-16_01-39-24

2018-08-16_01-56-34

You can also improve the servo saver by using a tiny piece of tape to reduce slop between the grey and cream pieces like so:

2018-08-16_01-40-37

That's perfect thank you ?

I've found your all whether mf-01x build this morning on tamiyaclub I think it was ? but the pictures don't work thanks to photobucket ? 

Give it time. The times on the bottle are optimistic at best. You'll probably want to let it work for longer than specified. 

Getting some shocks for the mf-01x as I'm over the kangaroo beetle now ? what is it that I need to get with the mini cva shocks is it the long ball connectors ? which I'm getting the pack of five to do what @XV Pilot said to do ? but should I order 2 packs ? 

10 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Getting some shocks for the mf-01x as I'm over the kangaroo beetle now ? what is it that I need to get with the mini cva shocks is it the long ball connectors ? which I'm getting the pack of five to do what @XV Pilot said to do ? but should I order 2 packs ? 

I used Super Mini CVA shocks on mine. The Mini CVA bodies are a bit too long and you run out of space to get the lower spring retainer in place if you build the shocks short enough to fit the chassis. 

If you want to follow my example you only need one pack of long ball connectors. All the other ball connectors are the standard size ones. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Anyone rocking a Df02? Trying to confirm a theory. Is the Tb01 main spur the same fitment as the Df02?

I have a DF-02 in my fleet, but not a TB-01, only a TB-03. I'll have to consult a manual to check...

It looks like it is the same fitting. Single pin through a shaft to which the drive spur slides on to. Im 99% certain tamiya wouldn't change the depth of which the pin slides into the gear so I'm fairly certain it is the exact same fitment as the Tb01. Also hoping that the prop shaft is the same size.

54 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

I used Super Mini CVA shocks on mine. The Mini CVA bodies are a bit too long and you run out of space to get the lower spring retainer in place if you build the shocks short enough to fit the chassis. 

If you want to follow my example you only need one pack of long ball connectors. All the other ball connectors are the standard size ones. 

I thought it was the mini cva and not the super mini cva shocks you saved me from ordering the wrong ones thanks ?

just wish I knew this yesterday and that eBay had 15% off it went in my spam folder for some reason ?

3 minutes ago, RC4WD fan said:

I thought it was the mini cva and not the super mini cva shocks you saved me from ordering the wrong ones thanks ?

just wish I knew this yesterday and that eBay had 15% off it went in my spam folder for some reason ?

You also missed the thread in General saying about the 15% off.

50 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

It looks like it is the same fitting. Single pin through a shaft to which the drive spur slides on to. Im 99% certain tamiya wouldn't change the depth of which the pin slides into the gear so I'm fairly certain it is the exact same fitment as the Tb01. Also hoping that the prop shaft is the same size.

It looks like the spur would indeed fit the shaft without a problem. However there is a potential issue with it interfering with the chassis and gear cover. They look a bit tight...

I know that the TB01 can take an quite a large 0.4 mod spur gear. Can't remember how many teeth it has. 80t I think. So my thought is... Find out the size of the largest 0.4 spur gear and find the spur gear in 0.6 which is the same diameter and that should fit fine. Need to measure the 0.4 spur gear and the 67t and 70t DF02 spur gears and see if they are the same size. If they are... Then my Levant is getting a much larger spur gear.