• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

My girlfried has a TT-02B and i can vouch for them, ive done the bearing upgrade to it and its running 10.5t brushless and 2s lipo. its rapid and shes getting really good with it. I think the gearbox upgrade with the metal gears will be on the cards soon as shes getting braver and  jumping it now. its surprisingly good on grass too, better than i thought. 

road wheels and tyres are also on the cards for it 

• Like 1

My girlfried has a TT-02B and i can vouch for them, ive done the bearing upgrade to it and its running 10.5t brushless and 2s lipo. its rapid and shes getting really good with it. I think the gearbox upgrade with the metal gears will be on the cards soon as shes getting braver and  jumping it now. its surprisingly good on grass too, better than i thought. 

road wheels and tyres are also on the cards for it 

Any pics of it matey? We do like pics on this thread, lol

• Like 1

I've searched high and low for a PDF manual for my Tyrrell 6 wheel but I've had no luck. The closest I've come is a parts list. The model number is 49154, I've looked every and had no luck. If someone knows or had any idea of where I could find it that would be appreciated.

Alex

2 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

Can that happen? Im sure Admin have the powers to change that .. ..

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

It can happen and it should happen! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, alex97 said:

I've searched high and low for a PDF manual for my Tyrrell 6 wheel but I've had no luck. The closest I've come is a parts list. The model number is 49154, I've looked every and had no luck. If someone knows or had any idea of where I could find it that would be appreciated.

Alex

Here we go:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/84111tyrrell_p34.pdf

5 hours ago, chewbacca said:

I think that where it says "MSUK Regular" under "XV Pilot" it should say "Tamiya Guru". 

That is most kind of you, but I think I still have a fair way to go before I can claim Guru-ness. There are others out there who know Tamiya far better than I do. I'd claim to be an avid enthusiast at best. :)

34 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

db56edbf13544512164530d6cf426eb8.jpg

Got my information here.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

If I've read both 2000 and 2001, I believe it came out around the end of 2000 so I'm not even 100% sure.

It's just the pdf I can't find. There are only a few differents between the 2000 and 2010.

10 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Struggling to the find the pdf also, been hunting in some wonderful places today

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Cheers mate, I've also had a good look and failed to find anything. I very much doubt that is not out there. If I could find someone who owns one they might be able to scan it in or take pictures of it for me? 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 21:41, XV Pilot said:

Greetings and welcome!

I have read your other thread. Glad you are considering starting with a kit rather than a RTR, and a Tamiya one at that. My first hobby-grade RC car was a Tamiya, and while I have tried other brands over the years such as Associated, Yokomo, etc, I kept coming back to Tamiya.

Tamiya have a different approach to the hobby compared to many other manufacturers, and this is not to everyone's tastes. Whereas a lot of others make entry-level cars with seemingly high-spec features, cutting costs on materials to produce a car that is fast and cheap but rather fragile, Tamiya's entry-level offerings are generally simpler with fewer features, but they are well-made from quality materials that last well and fit superbly, giving a car that may not be as fast in stock form, but is good and strong while still being affordable. And of course you can make them fast too with the numerous upgrades available for them from Tamiya themselves and many 3rd party manufacturers.

On the subject of upgrades, you may have come across the Big 3 - three areas that are commonly upgraded at the outset on many Tamiyas. These are bearings, shocks and pinion. Tamiya's higher-end models generally come with bearings included, but their entry-level ones come with plastic and bronze bushings that are best swapped out for ball bearings during the initial build. A lot of kits come with friction shocks which can be used if you want, but most cars handle far better with oil-filled dampers instead. And finally, some kits come with alloy pinions that, while lightweight, tend to wear out quite fast. Many people replace them with steel ones.

As for the Lunchbox, it is a great starter with a lot of good points, but it is designed to be a stunt vehicle so is not the most stable model out there. Many people consider the instability to be part of the fun, but if it concerns you, there are other options. TMaxxDave asks some good questions - perhaps they would help us offer you further advice?

hi and thanks for the advice!! Been looking at various options an cars for last few months!! I like the idea of a kit as it will help me work out what's what an how it does it!! Think I'm goin to stick with lunch box option!! However I'm now unsure on weather I should buy a complete kit batteries radio gear etc!! Or should I buy it separately!! As all the complete kits I can find seem quite basic!! An I'm aware there are waterproof parts available which I would prefer!! Are there any parts you could recommend!!

I would say buy seperately. Basic radio gear can be found for around 20 quid on Ebay. As for waterproof stuff, the Quicrun 1060 ESC is a good start, servos can be had from Etronix and BSD for not a lot of coin. The basic radio rx won't be waterproof but can be put in a balloon with a zip tie round the neck and kept dry that way. It's also possible to get products like Corrosion X and PlastiDip which can be applied to circuit boards etc. 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 15:14, TMaxxDave said:

Good afternoon Rob. Welcome to the thread. The lunchbox is great for all levels of user. As for it falling over, thats down to your driving, turn to quickly or sharply it will fall over. What type of terrain are you wanting to run on? Also are you looking for speed or nice and steady? And finally is it the lunchbox that appeals to you because its a monster truck or some other deciding factor?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

I kinda want something to play everwere not bothered bout braking the landspeed record so more nice an steady!! Also I'm liking the look of it!! An with it being a kit I can work a bit of magic on it an make it one of a kind!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rob bark said:

I kinda want something to play everwere not bothered bout braking the landspeed record so more nice an steady!! Also I'm liking the look of it!! An with it being a kit I can work a bit of magic on it an make it one of a kind!!

Be kinda fun to see a Lunchie at ROSSA though. 

1 minute ago, rob bark said:

sorry dumb moment what's roosa

ROSSA. Not sure exactly what it stands for but it's basically all about speed. Think Bonneville Speed Week but in Britain with RC vehicles.

27 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

I would say buy seperately. Basic radio gear can be found for around 20 quid on Ebay. As for waterproof stuff, the Quicrun 1060 ESC is a good start, servos can be had from Etronix and BSD for not a lot of coin. The basic radio rx won't be waterproof but can be put in a balloon with a zip tie round the neck and kept dry that way. It's also possible to get products like Corrosion X and PlastiDip which can be applied to circuit boards etc. 

would it be possible to put rx in water tight box?? I'm guessing waterproof motors are expensive!!! An how much more of a power increase could the lunchbox gears take!!!!