• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

The Sport Tuned is good value, but a rebuildable motor usually works out better value in the long term as when the brushes wear out, you can replace them rather than binning the whole motor.

I can see the point of a rebuildable motor. But if im totally honest, ive had the 11x2 motor since 2002 and its still got half of the brushes left. I dont use my RCs enough to worry about the brushes wearing out.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

I really like the look of the DF-03? I think. White edition. But also just come across something with an xv01t chassis. With the motor right at the front, thats somwthing i like the look of.

The DF-03 is a nice buggy with one key flaw - the gearbox contains a soft alloy idler gear that wears out rapidly, especially if you upgrade the power. Hardened upgrades used to be available quite readily, but they are as rare as hen's teeth nowdays. You could potentially modify a RevCo helicopter gear to fit, but that is ideally done with a lathe.

The XV-01T is an interesting beast, belt drive and front-motored, very much a successor to the TA-03F, but with a sealed drivetrain, high ground clearance and bigger tyres. It is much like the TA-02T Desert Fielder, TT-02T Sand Shaker and TL-01T Stadium Raider in that it combines high stance and narrow track in an unstable combo that likes to fall over in corners, but if you lower it a bit and fit rally blocks in place of the stock "hockey puck" tyres, it becomes a very effective rally chassis.

Belt driven, think I'll give that a miss, really not a fan of belt drive, being of a mechanical engineering background I like gears and mechanical stuffs, lol. XV01T shall be put on the shelf, pointless if it falls over in corners. DF-03 has let me down with the idler gear.

Right Mr Pilot, recommend me a Buggy.

4wd

Shaft driven

Tamiya

Kit format

Actually good out of the box

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

The TT02-B is one that i keep coming back to. Esp the bright pink Neo Scorcher or the TT02-B MS. But out of the box it could do with some parts to make it better

You'll be hard pushed to find an RC that doesn't need a few parts to make better. 

• Like 1

The TT-02B Neo Scorcher just looks like both a class act and a cheap 'n' cheerful runaround, all at the same time. :)

Really like the look of them as a simple, robust, less-serious alternative to my Losi XXX-4. Otherwise, convince my brother-in-law to get one, to bash/race against my XXX-4.

Apart from a bearing kit (which you need for most Tamiyas as we all know), the TT-02B is a good buggy out of the box. The box stock diffs are fine with the box stock Torque Tuned motor. They only really become an issue with hotter motors, or if you jump a lot. I upgraded mine as I run a 13.5t  brushless.

I think the TT-02B is the most sensible option for me. Its cheap enough and shares alot of parts which makes spares enough to come across. Bearings arent a big issue. Id be keeping it brushed or possibly 17.5T brushless if i can slot a LiPo straight in without any issues

On 14/04/2016 at 00:18, TMaxxDave said:

Did Tamiya make an Astra Coupe?

On 15/04/2016 at 13:51, XV Pilot said:

They did indeed - it came on the TL-01 chassis if I remember correctly, which means it will fit the FF-02 nicely.

Not that easy to find one these days though - I'd keep an eye out on Ebay, or maybe consult some of the longer-running hobby shops to see if any have old stock.

Is this any good?

Tamiya HKS Opel Vectra JTCC (FF-01) Bausatz #58159

or

Tamiya Opel V8 Coupe TL-01 Bausatz #58263

Only 1 of each in stock, so grab it while you can.

More Vintage Kits

:thumbsup:

Having spent the afternoon browsing buggies, i think im settled on a TT-02B Neo Scorcher, with the following.... Alloy Prop and alloy steering. If there anything else these NEED to be a suitable basher? Mainly grass, gravel and sand.

What motor will you be running in it?

(The chassis takes oblong LiPos easily so you could run 17.5t brushless as you mentioned previously.)

Edited by XV Pilot