• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

Thanks for the input chaps, I'll check out those links and get myself sorted before the kit arrives from Timetunnel (eBay store).

One of those models I yearned after and have, for many, many months hovered over buying....sold a few bits on the bay and decided now was the time.

May even get some pics up....maybe....lol....

• Like 1

So, CRP bumpers, one chap on the bay selling 8 'originals' with no packaging, or one from Australia with ridiculous postage, in packet....

Couple of adjustable motor mounts, however I think they are for 380 cans? 

AmPro bits ordered though, figured when treating oneself to a new rig....

• Like 2

Ah yes, the CRP adjustable motor mount. Forgot about that one! It is for 540 motors, in case none of the included kit ratios are to your liking.

• Like 1

Just picked up this TGX MK1 for £50 as a non runner. No idea if that was a good price as i've no idea what it's really worth.

Need to strip and clean the engine and tank, but other than that it looks barely used.

68570d54cd2ee29c95c3a2b382ad0c13.jpg

0fd16cda76124a6f8dd922d04079adb9.jpg

3fdc99bd80531a3a73e6b7ebdb6753dd.jpg

My first Tamiya and first onroad car so I know nothing about these or what shells are available for it as I don't like Skylines lol

Edited by Pistonhead

Looks like a fun project. I know relatively little about the nitro side of Tamiya's product lineup. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it and reading your impressions of the car.

A mate wanted me to get it running for him, second i saw it i made him an offer lol

Had a closer look at it at lunch, shocks still full by the feel of them, naff all wear on any of the visible drivetrain. Will have to get some 2.4gig radio in it and use a spair life rx pack to power it up.

engine needs a complete strip down before cleaning - it's not seized, just very hard to turn over because of the gunk left by fuel in the crankcase.

hoping this'll just cost a new plug to get running as this looks like a fun fast car park queen

Tamiya make a lovely Subaru body that will fit these. The Tamiya engines are fairly good from the experience I've had with them, I'd happily have another, £50 off a mate knowing the engine isn't seized is a fair price, I thought you'd bought it unseen as a roller.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Just picked up this TGX MK1 for £50 as a non runner. No idea if that was a good price as i've no idea what it's really worth.

Need to strip and clean the engine and tank, but other than that it looks barely used.

68570d54cd2ee29c95c3a2b382ad0c13.jpg

0fd16cda76124a6f8dd922d04079adb9.jpg

3fdc99bd80531a3a73e6b7ebdb6753dd.jpg

My first Tamiya and first onroad car so I know nothing about these or what shells are available for it as I don't like Skylines lol

I got over £80 for a TGX MK1 rolling chassis the other week with quite a few parts missing so yes it looks like you did very well :D

What engines are good for these if this one turns out to be a dud? Anything 1:10 scale i presume?

Yeah anything really. Small block. Dont really need anything bigger or faster than a .15/.18 ideally.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

• 1 month later...

The Tamiya high-torque servo saver comes with two alternative output arms, each of which has three mounting locations for the ball connector. I believe the longer arm using one of the outer connector locations ought to do the job.

Aye, going back to the stock 17t (or better - its steel equivalent) would suit the motor far better.

2 teeth may not seem like a big difference, but on 0.8 module pinions, they are big teeth! :)