• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC track in wasteland.

JayAVFC

Hi all,

i have moved house and behind our new garden is a big piece of wasteland owned by the council but has not been maintained for years, I have cut most of it down now with the lawnmower so I'm left with an empty field.

Would I get fined if I build a track out of there, I'm don't want to tear up the land but just put a few jumps on there in the layout of a track, I will only be using 1/10 electric cars on there also,

here are a couple of pics, (this is only a tiny part of the land!)

the piles of sticks will be burned.

{option}http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/jayavfc1/49abd39311926552a8706983dfd43f1d_zpsstbuwy2k.jpg[/IMG]

{option}http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/jayavfc1/6062460e8d7401492831f5aae1ec5f1a_zpsh4a4zib2.jpg[/IMG]

i know this is a bit of a stupid question but I am just a bit worried I may get find if I put jumps out there!

thanks

Edited by JayAVFC

You might well be fined for what you have done already!

You might think it was okay to do but how would you know,did you ask anyone?

That wasteland could have been a habitat for some rare species of something that you have chopped into bits with your mower :)

It's highly unlikely any Council will fine you.

In fact, quite the opposite.

They've got enviromentalists breathing down their necks, any wasteland that can be actively used instead of going to waste and ruin is something they can't really argue against.. Well they can, but very very few actually would.

If it was home to something rare, they would have put notices up.

This is what I have been told by two different Councils when I requested permission to set up a track.

Plus, who honestly cares about some rare tiny little critter, it'll never do anyone any good and if nobody is ever allowed to see it then what's the point of it in the first place :lol:

If I was you personally, I'd just ring the Council and ask them about the land, if they can't even be bothered to maintain it, I can't see any reason why they'd stop you using it... Again, that's actually going from having spoken to the Council where I used to live about the disused quarry and the Council here as well.

7 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

It's highly unlikely any Council will fine you.

In fact, quite the opposite.

They've got enviromentalists breathing down their necks, any wasteland that can be actively used instead of going to waste and ruin is something they can't really argue against.. Well they can, but very very few actually would.

If it was home to something rare, they would have put notices up.

This is what I have been told by two different Councils when I requested permission to set up a track.

Plus, who honestly cares about some rare tiny little critter, it'll never do anyone any good and if nobody is ever allowed to see it then what's the point of it in the first place :lol:

If I was you personally, I'd just ring the Council and ask them about the land, if they can't even be bothered to maintain it, I can't see any reason why they'd stop you using it... Again, that's actually going from having spoken to the Council where I used to live about the disused quarry and the Council here as well.

Thanks for the reply,

i will give the council a ring!

You could email the council, explain that someone has cleared the weeds , & ask permission to put a few small jumps so you can play with your " toy" cars there. Worth a go :)

25 minutes ago, losi8igh said:

You might well be fined for what you have done already!

You might think it was okay to do but how would you know,did you ask anyone?

That wasteland could have been a habitat for some rare species of something that you have chopped into bits with your mower :)

I am pretty sure it's not a habitat for rare species because our neighbours said a few years ago the council approached them about buying the land, all of the houses in the row had to agree and buy there own section otherwise it couldn't go ahead!

25 minutes ago, alex97 said:

If your making very little noise e.g. only using electrics cars and it doesn't look like a dump I can't see why they'd say no.

It's a massive improvement on what it used to look like!

I don't think insurance should be an issue... They never mentioned it to me anyway, you're not holding any kind of event, nor is any money changing hands, Joe public aren't there either, so insurance shouldn't be a problem, you can't sue someone for hitting yourself with your own toy car :P maybe in yank land but not here.

• Like 1

He is joe public. lol     But the council do go into a panic if there is a chance of a claim.  And in this blame/claim culture people do tend to cautious.   Very slim chance of something going wrong.

17 minutes ago, alex97 said:

If an event has been organised that is taking money and is being held on public property then insurance might be needed. If it's just your self then it shouldn't be an issue as it's just like running an RC in the park

the park has some sort of cover + it has safety checks.    If it was me i would just use the land but don't fit or do anything that changes the land in anyway.  As if someone phones the council saying why is he allowed to use the land and im not.   You might have to shift everything

• Like 1

Send em a vague email and use the land, be respectful to the land and have fun.  Asking for permission imo means u want to do something.  Playing wth a toy car is not 'something'  they need to know.

Edited by Deafty