• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Strada Xt Evo S part upgrades

Hi all, I've been trying to find metal/alloy upgrades for my strada xt Evo s (as I keep smashing mine up) and finding it hard, unless the HSP Redcat parts fit as they look pretty much the same....  And they look a lot cheaper than Maverick plastic parts... 

Anybody else used these parts or know of any others? 

Cheers 

Sharpy

56 minutes ago, Sharpy666 said:

Hi all, I've been trying to find metal/alloy upgrades for my strada xt Evo s (as I keep smashing mine up) and finding it hard, unless the HSP Redcat parts fit as they look pretty much the same....  And they look a lot cheaper than Maverick plastic parts... 

Anybody else used these parts or know of any others? 

Cheers 

Sharpy

Yup, the HSP parts fit fine, and can be bought of eBay for peanuts from China.  Unless purely on road avoid the alloy arms, everything else is fine.  I'd recommend hubs, knuckles, steering posts and diff carriers.  Check sellers carefully as some don't ship with bearings etc.  Stock plastic chassis is surprisingly durable, though there is an alloy version.

Bear in mind these will all add weight.

1 hour ago, Sharpy666 said:

Yup, there all good - only thing that could be improved, and i've not seen any sold with, are rubber sealed bearings - something to change over when these are worn out.  Word of caution though - as there over the £15 import limit you could in theory be hit by customs for a very small bill plus a £8 handling charge by royal mail.  Most of the Chinese sellers (illegally) mark items down but not all.  That said there's no guarantee you'd get hit but i'd be remiss not to mention it.  

Oh really?  didn't realise there was a Tax!  that's a bit cheeky....spose tho even if I do get hit think it would still work out cheaper than buying maverick plastic parts...

Cheers for ya help bro!

They add VAT - so 20% - which is manageable - whats the annoyance is that whoever the carrier is  (typically RM for these) charge a handling fee to 'collect' the money from you, typically about £8 - I usually don't risk a ~£10 fee to save a pound or two doing separate orders.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Sharpy666 said:

Hi again

late reply I know but are you saying you order the parts separately? Then you won't hit the big tax? 

Yh, just ensure each order is under £15 total. If needing to do multiple orders from the same seller try and space them as some will automatically group them at there end to save postage costs to themselves.

• Like 1

How much would you upgrade? I don't want to add too much weight so would it be worth doing all the suspension arms and bits? Want it to look good though, I was gonna do the steering hubs and joints and suspension.

How much would you upgrade? I don't want to add too much weight so would it be worth doing all the suspension arms and bits? Want it to look good though, I was gonna do the steering hubs and joints and suspension.

Def not arms, alloy arms are heavy and have zero flex in them - they will thus pass all shocks to the next part and if they do bend, it's game over for them usually as they don't straighten easily.

On mine all i've done so far is hub carriers, knuckles and shock towers - purely as the knuckles had a nasty habit of stripping out with repeated jumping - plastic replacements are pennies but it was a reliability issue when I use to race it, and the stock towers bent everytime I looked at them.  I got the alloy diff carriers at the same time as I was told they we're a weak point, mine haven't been, and recently have acquired the alloy steering assembly - I superglued my servo save a long time back as it had worn badly (common on these) - the stock servo didn't seem to mind and my plan was to eventually replace it with a good strong MG servo that would cope with the abuse, but so far the stock servo has survived and i've not had the inclination to fit the alloy parts. 

All the above is my experience of it, I've a friend who had a MT chassis from me before Xmas, as a roller and he has replaced everything bar the diff cases with the alloy upgrade part and bashes the $%^& out if it with a fast brushless system and so far nothing's broken.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sharpy666 said:

ok cool I did see before someone said the sus arms weren't that great, I'll prob get the bits you've mentioned. What are the actual suspension like? Prefer the coloured rather than black.... :lol: 

Suspension on my SCT was a little oversprung, and none of the four shocks had but the merest hint of oil in them to legally pass as oil filled..... Filled properly with 25wt oil (as that's what I had handy!), removed all the preload and it's funtional for bashing, on the track it's still far too bouncy but to be fair this platform was never designed for the track.7

Here's mine when I was messing with 17mm wheel adapters the other week:

24083492973_334f20eacc_o.jpg

24684121136_db3efe9811_o.jpg

Needless to say it doesn't work, and i've switched to Proline badlands, though they being true 1:10 sct wheels foul the shell badly.

• Like 1

Wikid that looks pretty cool! To be fair there's nothing wrong with the stock suspension,I'll just stick with them then if they scupper the handling/bashablitily I think I just want to colour it up a bit, might have a look at the steering linkage and the servo though, was gonna try out multicolour as you can get blue, purple and yellow bits! 

On 13 March 2016 at 20:39, capri-boy said:
On 22 February 2016 at 16:48, capri-boy said:

They add VAT - so 20% - which is manageable - whats the annoyance is that whoever the carrier is  (typically RM for these) charge a handling fee to 'collect' the money from you, typically about £8 - I usually don't risk a ~£10 fee to save a pound or two doing separate orders.

ello again buh, I've ordered some bits and it all comes to under £15, when and how do I pay the vat? As I've only paid what the listing said... Do I need to go somewhere else or will it be requested? And how will I have to pay the carrier? On delivery?

Edited by Sharpy666
Added a Q

15 hours ago, Sharpy666 said:

ello again buh, I've ordered some bits and it all comes to under £15, when and how do I pay the vat? As I've only paid what the listing said... Do I need to go somewhere else or will it be requested? And how will I have to pay the carrier? On delivery?

So long as it's udner £15 there will be no charges.

If you ever get hit by customs RM leave/give a little card (like the missed delivery) informing you you need to go pay and collect your item, I forget which but one of the couriers delivers the item then bills you afterwards.

33 minutes ago, Sharpy666 said:

Oh nice 1 I see, cheers just gotta wait a month now lol hopefully be worth the wait!  :anime:

:thumbsup:

Generally most of my china orders for stuff like this arrive in about 18days (inc weekends).

Get some pics up when there fitted.

Ha I've just busted my chassis at the front from a nose dive.... I've looked on eBay again for the chassis but it's flat! Whereas mine is tubbed... anything I can do to strengthen another original or anything I can add to the alloy one? Just worried about the battery security on a flat base... Any ideas bud? 

12 hours ago, Sharpy666 said:

Ha I've just busted my chassis at the front from a nose dive.... I've looked on eBay again for the chassis but it's flat! Whereas mine is tubbed... anything I can do to strengthen another original or anything I can add to the alloy one? Just worried about the battery security on a flat base... Any ideas bud? 

Flat chassis is from the original Strada afaik, and all the OEM/clones (hsp,himoto etc) use it.  I'm not 100% the two are interchangeable.

Wheelspin and modelsport have the tub chassis reasonably priced, part number is MV22625 (double check this is the right one for yours.)

Wheelspin

Modelsport

Alt if you want to try a flat chassis I've a spare, though re the battery issue they use a C shaped piece to hold a rounded stick pack - I use hard cased rectangular packs in mine but make sure the top strap is tight.

On 3/21/2016 at 19:27, Sharpy666 said:

I was gonna look at getting an original, then putting a carbon fibre Slab on the bottom... Just not sure how I'm gonna fix it on.. And hopefully won't be too heavy although CF is light anyway. 

Spoke to pbm yesterday, they have the tub chassis in stock, £15 del.