• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ's Monster Beetle 2015

.AJ.

Quick point, the Modelsport bearing kit had the wrong sized bearing for the front wheels and rear spindles, luckily I had a few in my spares box, I'll will be sending MS a friendly email to point out their mistake though 

• Like 1

Bling bling!

20160220_075914_zpsiknwz8bf.jpg

The fronts had a terrible amount of slop, but a few shims sorted that out, I just had a quick drive round the front room and everything works fine, the steering needs a bit of work but I'll deal with that when the stronger servo saver turns up, also I'll reroute the motors to tidy up the install

Next is the body....,, 

20160220_080036_zpsxl30lpa3.jpg

Ive got some different style decals on the way, so until they arrive I won't commit myself to a finish colour (more than likely it will still be red) the shell needs a bit of work tho, I'm going to fill the unused holes and also the nose cone needs a casting fault sorting 

Shimming internally?

Wonder what it is about this box? None of our Tamiyas click....including the brushless HB, which, by rights, should.

Not tempted to drop a Quicrun 1060 in and go lipo?? 

It's just the Monster Beetle because of the large wheels, other Tamiya with the same gearbox like the Frog/Brat don't have the problem, it's easy enough to shim, you just add them to the bearing carriers for the diff, it takes out any play and stops the sun gears skipping.

If I want to go lipo, I will just use the stock esc with a low voltage alarm

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 1

Yea it's a specific issue with the Monster Beetle and Mud Blaster, they are the same chassis, but different body shells. It's odd tho, some people seem to have the issue straight away and some never get it a all, easily fixed tho :)