• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hi - MST MS01D

Bumeyes

Hi guys, new here been looking to get into RC drifting for a long time and now very close to taking the plunge! Sorry to start a whole new thread for this, I know theres already a lot of threads on this car already. Looking at the MST ms01d brushless rtr package because I don't have any batteries or chargers etc. But I have read about Lipo batteries and there is one question that I've had for weeks now. Does this car come with the Low voltage cutoff I've read about? 

You'd be best asking the retailer your buying from, I'm sure hobby best on eBay supply a hobbywing sensorless setup. I'm not too sure what motor soul rc supply. And their adverts don't go too much into it.

If your going to pay £50 extra for a sensorless setup, you'd be better buying the brushed model, remove it, sell it as new and get a sensored setup.

• 3 weeks later...

OK so the RTR package is still not in stock and I was wondering how easy it is to just buy the chassis and electrics separate and build it yourself. I reckon it would be a good way to learn how it all works and would come in handy in the future in regards to maintenance. 

But on the downside it will be more expensive to buy things separately although there are some decent deals on Soul. Is it all plug and play or is mostly soldering required? I haven't soldered since school!

Basically asking,  should I just sack it off and stop being impatient and just wait for it to come back in stock? Or would it be better to "build" it myself? Thanks. 

EDIT: Also toying with the idea of getting the FXX as I see most people are going to RWD... 

Edited by Bumeyes

I wouldn't bother dealing with soul. They've been proper useless lately. Took me a month to get some wheels and tyres and coming up to two months on I still don't have my wheel weights.

Have you thought about the Sakura d4 rwd? Absolutely love mine, complete pain to get setup and drifting right but satisfying once you manage to get it drifting nicely. There's a few of us on here running them and im sure if you needed any advice one of us would be able to help

Oh no! I've just ordered some oil and grease through soul! I was wondering what was happening with their websites, they don't seem to have anything in stock even what it clearly says it's in stock and they haven't responded to emails. 

I did spend some time looking at Sakura and I looked through someone's build thread (yours?) and they looked pretty cool, but it was the AWD vs RWD for beginners quandary. I read that AWD is better for learning how to drift so I've bought a MS01D. Hopefully if I get to grips with it, I'll end up buying an RWD kit at some point (permission from the wife needed) and I'll look at a different brand to MST. 

The MST is a great place to start. I still run my MS-01 and love it.

The Sakura D4 is a tempting chassis but when you lookat them side by side with a Yokomo or MST you sorta start to see why they're much cheaper. 

There's even problems with the build stages.

Once they're set up well they're a good chassis, but I'd still go for an MST.

hmmm being an owner of a D4 and an MS01. there is some differences. but there is also a lot of difference in price and parts availability. the d4 is a good cheap drift car in cs or rwd. it can be tweeked and upgraded to alloy parts if the need is there. The mst again can be upgraded or run as is. there is some difference characteristics due to chassis layout.

it is down to personal preference and how deep your pockets are.