• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie ROSSA project

m1tch_87

Pull starter has arrived and installed - I have actually put some tape across the rear on each side so that when i do need to remove the pull starter it won't just pop out again, I have seen a few pull starters with a catch plate on them, unfortunately I need the much larger 32mm setup - would be fine if I had a small engine fitted! Everything is now ready to go again and I will get the engine broken in as soon as I can.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on this, I have been away for my wedding and honeymoon which is why I haven't been posting much, I have now had a chance to get the car out again for further break in. I have now run another 3 tanks through the engine and am doing a few 2 second bursts on the throttle, the engine is still very rich and sometimes cuts out if I blip it, plus there is a fair amount of fuel being chucked out the exhaust plus smoke on throttle.

I am doing my best to get this engine broken in, I just have an issue where everything else is almost there but the engine isn't ready which is holding me up, I am trying to get everything up and running for the ROSSA day but the deadline is fast approaching.

• 2 weeks later...

So after around 3 hours of using a hand file I think I have managed to cut the slots for the engine mounts far enough to allow for the different gearing setups, I will hopefully now be able to fit the stock gearing for the next phase for break in and then gradually change the gearing out.

Just finished the engine mounts off, engine is back in with the spacers, all up weight is 2.5kg, as a comparison the .28 powered HPI Pulse like my father in law has is 3.3kg and I am guessing that would be the weight without the RX batteries and bodywork etc.

I have also just taped my tyres, will glue them in a bit but its another stage closer to getting done, currently running the stock 14/50 gearing for break in/load.

9 hours ago, Alex97 said:

What's up, you've come so far and rossa isn't that far away?

I have no time or space to be able to run or test it, it's not fun at all, expensive and quite stressful so I don't want to carry on with it - total run time of actually running an RC car around is around 15 minutes, the rest of the hours upon hours have been trying to get it running and fixing everything.

This is further coupled with the fact that I was going for both the open wheel ROSSA record as well as the nitro record - I have now seen another build for a nitro car which will easily beat all of my hard work.

Edited by m1tch_87