• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

XMAXX owners thread!

Ocdcbr

Sorted, picking my new X-Maxx up tomorrow. Basically new, with barely scratched russian unbreakable shell and the Snap On van body, completely stock in box otherwise. Got a pretty decent price on it, so couldn't say no. 

edit: 

immediately first question. I'm not entirely sure, but with the X-Maxx, the optional gearing doesn't change the pinion - it changes the spur, is that correct? As in, the standard gearing for an X-Maxx is 18t pinion, 54t spur - the optional gearing being the same pinion but 46t spur. Yes?

The recommended gearing i see popping up every now and then is 18/46, which is conveniently supplied with the truck anyway. Do you guys run that gearing offroad? Keep in mind i have zero experience or knowledge about the X-Maxx, i don't know what runs hot, what blows up the ESC or runs fine. I've got a stock X-Maxx (for now), can i run 18/46 offroad? 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tell me about it. That said:

my plan was originally to get the new Arrma EXB. Cancelled pre-order, after doing the math, the EXB + Motor + the ESC i wanted would've been more than what i paid now for the X-Maxx, and in that comparison, getting the EXB would just be the worse choice. If you shop around, you can get bargains. I had an offer for an 8s X-Maxx for £450 with charger and one battery (not sure what that was about), with a broken bulkhead to fix. That's like a £25 fix. 

As a tip, check the UK X-Maxx owners facebook group. Got a few decent offers there.

Paid for a basically new one now £750 in box, with the snap on body, russian body and everything that came with it, in mint condition. Not the greatest deal ever, but my other option would've been to buy a new one, get the russian shell myself for £130 or how much it is now, and then the Snap On body shell on top. I wanted an unmolested one, so i think i got a decent price. These £400 offers for a mint X-Maxx 8s on gumtree and shpock are just phishing/scamming attempts. 

• Haha 1

theres is 2 cars i wouldnt mind getting for now which is vorza(i know, i know, its outdated :D ) and the corally kronos. 

the x maxx is really big and im only small :D so i would struggle to carry that :(  

ive always liked buggies and truggies but mt i guess so so.

See, the X-Maxx is big, you're small and i'm fat. 

The X-Maxx is actually pretty lightweight for the size, surprisingly so. It's 19 pounds, my DBXL-E 2.0 which isn't that much bigger weighs 30 pounds. Not talking you in or out of anything, was just pointing out the options. If you want a Vorza, get one, even if outdated. If that's what you want, go for it. Though personally out of those two i'd go with the Kronos, just the better all around RC - but kinda hard to find used.

Edited by m4inbrain

30 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Tell me about it. That said:

my plan was originally to get the new Arrma EXB. Cancelled pre-order, after doing the math, the EXB + Motor + the ESC i wanted would've been more than what i paid now for the X-Maxx, and in that comparison, getting the EXB would just be the worse choice. If you shop around, you can get bargains. I had an offer for an 8s X-Maxx for £450 with charger and one battery (not sure what that was about), with a broken bulkhead to fix. That's like a £25 fix. 

As a tip, check the UK X-Maxx owners facebook group. Got a few decent offers there.

Paid for a basically new one now £750 in box, with the snap on body, russian body and everything that came with it, in mint condition. Not the greatest deal ever, but my other option would've been to buy a new one, get the russian shell myself for £130 or how much it is now, and then the Snap On body shell on top. I wanted an unmolested one, so i think i got a decent price. These £400 offers for a mint X-Maxx 8s on gumtree and shpock are just phishing/scamming attempts. 

But I thought the EXB was the best thing in the world 😂😂.  Personally I wouldn’t buy one either but I do fancy that new Arrma 8s Outcast now that is nice 😂👍

snap on bodies are good shelf items but useless to use ! 

Run the 18/46 check temps and go from there 

14 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

But I thought the EXB was the best thing in the world 😂😂.  Personally I wouldn’t buy one either but I do fancy that new Arrma 8s Outcast now that is nice 😂👍

snap on bodies are good shelf items but useless to use ! 

Run the 18/46 check temps and go from there 

I certainly never said that, and i don't think we need another Arrma vs Traxxas debate. 

In regards to the Snap On shell, yeah i gathered that it's probably not the greatest basher shell - but it's awesome to show off in front of the neighbours lol. Temp checking, hm.. Gotta figure out where the hey i left my temp gun, but yeah, reasonable. 👍

17 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I certainly never said that, and i don't think we need another Arrma vs Traxxas debate. 

In regards to the Snap On shell, yeah i gathered that it's probably not the greatest basher shell - but it's awesome to show off in front of the neighbours lol. Temp checking, hm.. Gotta figure out where the hey i left my temp gun, but yeah, reasonable. 👍

I’m pulling your chain fella 😂😂

if you want to play it safe without using a temp gun go 18/19 50 👍

3 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

I’m pulling your chain fella 😂😂

if you want to play it safe without using a temp gun go 18/19 50 👍

I assume best to buy would be GDS?

I don't mind temp checking that much, but it should still be fun on 19/50 i think. Would probably mesh better too?

Edited by m4inbrain

I've read that multiple times now, i don't even know what "supplied pins" means :D

Just had a look at charts, 18/50 is basically smack bang in the middle in terms of ratio, and might be the spur for me. Is the stock pinion decent or does that need replacing as well?

edit: where's the GDS spur manufactured? The ebay listings for GDS spurs ship from china. Those the correct ones?

Edited by m4inbrain

Okay. I might be stupid here, but this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GDS-Racing-Steel-Spur-Gear-46T-50T-54T-RC-Monster-Truck-Traxxas-X-MAXX-1-5/383337026933?hash=item5940aad575:g:c~IAAOSwJRFcvYLi

doesn't look like this one:

https://www.gds-racing.com/products/sa-02-172

Checking specifically the logo. 

Are those fake? 

edit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GDS-Racing-PRO-MOD1-Pinion-Gear-Hardened-Steel-5-0mm-Bore-M1/163413543377?hash=item260c34c9d1:g:0y4AAOSwdmdczpsH

Correct pinion then, just in case?

Edited by m4inbrain

2 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

I get mine here 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122012082974

Also does the pinions 

As for fakes never heard of any but prices and looks do differ but they usually all arrive looking the same as each other and not the pics on eBay 😂

Cheers, ordered. 👍

5op0MxL.jpg

Well.. It was a good day. :D

Just waiting for the connector-adaptors now, my packs are all XT90. Truck is mint, very happy with my purchase. Spur and pinion also ordered, probably having my first go tomorrow or the day after - weeeeeeeeee :D

edit:

After a bit of trying and faffing around, my batteries are a really tight fit. As in, uncomfortably tight, have to put a lot of pressure on that plastic thingy that  holds the battery in (removed the clip thing already) - is there a way to modify the tray to get maybe 2-3mm more clearance? Trying to squeeze my 6200 Rhinos in there.

Also ordered Outerwears Shock Covers just now, they work a treat on my DBXL-E, don't want to run RCs without anymore. :D

edit2: flipped the "hold-the-battery-downies" around, saw that suggestion, batteries fit now. I'm not sure that i'm 100% happy with that (there's no flat part holding the battery down now, but an edge), but for now it has to do. Don't fancy buying new packs or drilling through the bottom plate to fit straps. Anyone here done this as well, and can tell me if they're happy with it?

Edited by m4inbrain

Hm, okay.. Seem to have developed a problem already.

Trying to update the ESC and Receiver through Traxxas Link, doesn't actually work? The Receiver update resets itself constantly and jumps between updating/verifying, the ESC update retries at around 50% and then eventually tells me it can't verify. Tried with two different phones now, bit at a loss - is there another way to update the electronics, like plug something in somewhere, or something?

Cheers.

Well, after the 49th try over two days, it finally updated in the end. I have absolutely zero idea why it was such a hassle, but that's now sorted.

Got myself a nice pair of Outerwears for the shocks, looks good. Also, put in the 18/50 GDS stuff, ran it, after 30 seconds i got reminded by the truck losing all propulsion that i forgot to put loctite on the grub screw. 

Now, i do seem to have a small squeak somewhere in the front. I've read that the bearings on the X-Maxx are a big issue, so i will get RPM oversized ones (incl carrier) either way, but judging from a superficial look at them, the bearings are completely fine (unsurprising considering the truck has never been driven proper before). Where could that squeak come from, and how can i fix that? Do you guys dry-lube the dog bones? Bit at a loss, can't locate the source of the squeak by ear properly - can just say that it's somewhere in the front. 

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, after the 49th try over two days, it finally updated in the end. I have absolutely zero idea why it was such a hassle, but that's now sorted.

Got myself a nice pair of Outerwears for the shocks, looks good. Also, put in the 18/50 GDS stuff, ran it, after 30 seconds i got reminded by the truck losing all propulsion that i forgot to put loctite on the grub screw. 

Now, i do seem to have a small squeak somewhere in the front. I've read that the bearings on the X-Maxx are a big issue, so i will get RPM oversized ones (incl carrier) either way, but judging from a superficial look at them, the bearings are completely fine (unsurprising considering the truck has never been driven proper before). Where could that squeak come from, and how can i fix that? Do you guys dry-lube the dog bones? Bit at a loss, can't locate the source of the squeak by ear properly - can just say that it's somewhere in the front. 

It’s a basher so blast it with lube gt85 gets my vote then wipe it off 

Green lo title and leave to set overnight red and blue just don’t hold 

• Like 1

Don't have GT85 here, in fact never had a can of it - it's something like WD40, right? Got that here, just apprehensive spraying wet stuff on things because i run in sand half the time.

Interesting to know that red and blue don't hold (i assume purple then doesn't either), never had an issue with red - but again, don't have anything here (recently moved), so neighbour gave me some industrial stuff that they use to loctite things on busses. That should hold, it's like brown stuff and smells like concentrated wood glue a little bit.

Was told to avoid green, requires as much heat as the surface of the sun for removal. 

Drill a small indent in the shaft, then use red or blue. So long as it's all degreased, it should hold with either. 

• Like 1

That indent idea is actually pretty smart. Well i used that bus-stuff now, if it comes off i'll actually gonna drill that indent, like the idea.

Also ordered a can of GT85, seems decent enough, just coat all the things a little bit. 

Now to find a decent ramp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is sufficiently ginormous to accommodate the Ecksmacks.