• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to draw door lines and other black lines on bodyshell?

mephisto

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how can I draw door lines and other bits inside the shell before painting it, in a way it doesn't wash out when I apply paint on top.

I've got the same bodyshell and want to make it look similar to this, but I've not idea what is best to use.

Can anyone assist me please? :)

thanks!

876.jpg

877.jpg

Read the thread.....it is a possibility....

It could be that the shut lines were airbrushed on first in the above image, a company wants their 'show shell' to be realistic to draw buyers to it......

You can buy trim tape in various widths, have a look at stockists of RC boats and aircraft as this is where it is commonly used

9 minutes ago, Noj said:

Read the thread.....it is a possibility....

It could be that the shut lines were airbrushed on first in the above image, a company wants their 'show shell' to be realistic to draw buyers to it......

You can buy trim tape in various widths, have a look at stockists of RC boats and aircraft as this is where it is commonly used

yeah that is true, but with tape I think it would always end up being too wide comparing to a pen, so I'll try it this time.

By the way, do you guys tint windows? Is there a good way of doing it? Perhaps some sort of transparent stickers with smoked finish?

Tamiya smoke spray. Build it up in very fine layers to achieve the desired darkness. :good:

Some shells do come with window stickers featuring tint and surround....takes some fine application to get them spot on and air bubble free.

I got the protoform bodyshell like in the picture, it comes with the window mask stickers but that is it, no surroundings of anything to ting the windows. I've found the tamiya smoke paint, that is really cool, thanks!

I'm just a bit in doubts how to paint as I believe if I paint the body in red first, the cut the window stickers to expose teh area I want to paint in black, the paint will also end up on top of the red paint and darken it up a lot. What do you think?

45 minutes ago, mephisto said:

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how can I draw door lines and other bits inside the shell before painting it, in a way it doesn't wash out when I apply paint on top.

I've got the same bodyshell and want to make it look similar to this, but I've not idea what is best to use.

Can anyone assist me please? :)

thanks!

876.jpg

877.jpg

They look so cool when they have the panneling done in blacked lines but most either do it with a fine tip sharpie or a biro.

that all good but your never going to get those perfect lines with that method, BUT there is a device a model painter will come across and nodoubt own at some time and that is a
Fine line painting pen or also known as a fluid writing pen (amazon) , they tend to start of at a number 1 model (0.5mm ) so its a nice fine line. you will water down your black paint with a 4:1 - 5:1 ratio so its thin enough to run from the tip but not like a tap.

method is simple, keep pen upright at all times and slowly draw it along the cast lines in the bodyshell. let it fully dry off (atleast 6hrs) then give it your main color coat. job is done and you also own a new bodyworking tool - fine line pen for paint-model and art working

33 minutes ago, Tamiyacowboy said:

They look so cool when they have the panneling done in blacked lines but most either do it with a fine tip sharpie or a biro.

that all good but your never going to get those perfect lines with that method, BUT there is a device a model painter will come across and nodoubt own at some time and that is a
Fine line painting pen or also known as a fluid writing pen (amazon) , they tend to start of at a number 1 model (0.5mm ) so its a nice fine line. you will water down your black paint with a 4:1 - 5:1 ratio so its thin enough to run from the tip but not like a tap.

method is simple, keep pen upright at all times and slowly draw it along the cast lines in the bodyshell. let it fully dry off (atleast 6hrs) then give it your main color coat. job is done and you also own a new bodyworking tool - fine line pen for paint-model and art working

Would something like this would do in your opinion?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hellfire-Drawing-Ultra-Fine-Line-Pen-005-01-02-03-04-05-08-Art-Waterproof-Black-/131607733317?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DERWENT-GRAPHIK-FINE-LINE-MAKER-ARTIST-PAINTERS-PERMANENT-MARKER-PAINT-LINER-PEN-/361180099313?var=&hash=item541802f2f1:m:ml9UpB__4cdBwmtFd9X16TQ

Not sure what you meant by water down the black, sorry I'm a bit ignorant in this aspect :(

9 minutes ago, Noj said:

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Fluid-Writer-Kemper-Tools/dp/B0049P5Z4I

You mix your own paint with thinners as TC said, then draw the lines on.

Reckon with practice you'll get the desired look. :good:

NOT with that pen though....just read the reviews and they aren't good 

hmm, okay that definitely require more artistic skills than I expected. As it is my first shell, perhaps I'll just paint over the body this time and next time I get a fluid pan, it feels like a lot of work just to get the lines indeed.

Maybe one step at time for me

it takes time to learn to paint.

first couple trys will be the worse, after that you get a lot betetr and learn tricks.

best place to get tips and learn some basics is youtube, its a great place to watch others do something, if you see it done you remember it more when you call that moment back from your memory of it. videos are cool you get great tips and see hands on how others go about creating styles - art and liverys