• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mike1980's 002b KM Baja project thread

mike1980

As i've had my Baja for just over a month now, I thought I would start a project thread for it. After becoming disillusioned with my MTA4 S50 the next logical move was a 1/5th scale. Dont get me wrong the S50 was a good truck but in the last six months of the twelve that I had it, spares availability went from common as muck to hens teeth rare in a short space of time. When it stripped a bevel gear and the only place I could find that had one was in Norway enough was enough. I broke the S50 up, sold my turntables and other bits and pieces until I had enough cash. A day or two after placing an order with RCModelz, this arrives

1448365208555_zpsp84ns8rr.jpg

I had been running with some Bajas in a club when I had the S50 and had a drive of my mates 002c so had an idea of what to expect. Here she is in her new home in the shed after being run in.

20151124_222419_zps3wdw5usk.jpg

One of the first things I did was to swap out the radio gear for my Etronix 3 channel gear as the range on the supplied stuff was awful. After seeing how much muck gets wrapped around the rear arms and driveshafts I knocked up some mud guards out of an old plastic plant pot. Better than paying £8 for them.

1448903558009_zpsxbv0xeq2.jpg

I also wrapped some Gorilla tape around the wheel extender, so if the drive pin comes loose at least it wont fall out and get lost.

Next up I wanted some way of mounting my GoPro on the car. Instead of buying a window set I chopped up the spare mount that comes in the GoPros box. As you can see it worked a treat.

1448628329064_zpsga60pzxj.jpg

My good mate Rich who runs a 002C picked me up a roof guard from RCModelz, so i wouldn't smash the plug if it rolls and to give me some way of lifting the thing lol.

20151130_175416_zpsiras22gv.jpg

Here she is with Rich's C at Sandwell Valley

20151206_141642_zpsnpzsxzar.jpg

As mine didnt come with any lights I ordered some from PSF Racing. After reworking some questionable soldering they were fitted and worked a treat.

Dicky soldering

20151207_120957_zpsbuah1han.jpg

Let there be light!

20151207_152314_zpstst5jlul.jpg

Also fitted some red leds to the rear

20151213_162848_zpssmzrirdl.jpg

The mud guards are a god send mate, keeps so much crap out. Ive only tried the tyres on wet grass and mud so far. It is really tail happy when the power kicks in but thats half the fun learning to control it. After having super grippy 4x4's with monster trencher tyres on its a whole different ball game lol.

It's something that very rarely happens to be perfectly honest, I know it's happened a few times to lads on here and I've smacked mine, because the lead/cap is damaged, I explained it wrong in the last post, my spark plug didn't actually snap, it broke the cap on the lead from the coil.

You could always go for the best and get an RPM plug guard, and instead of carrying it by the handle, just open a window and carry by the cage, does exactly the same job :)

After weighing up the options on a front bumper I decided on a RPM one.

FB_IMG_1450694299803_zpsg4xq7s7z.jpg

And fitted

20151221_121755_zps2b1lvnc7.jpg

20151221_121748_zpszcwo1fte.jpg

Found my brothers old keyboard stand in the loft and found a new use for it. Makes it easier when hosing the muck of it.

20151222_135316_zpsqkrtuva8.jpg

20151222_135306_zpsjrgape0t.jpg

I also fitted a Dom-clone pipe, for no other reaason than I like the racket it makes lol

20151223_140119_zpsdjiaxm23.jpg

Now while I was looking into what bumper to get, I found a picture of a Baja with RPM bumper and four lamps mounted to it. This was just the look I wanted so ordered these

20151223_124630_zpsziyipfok.jpg

and an extra set of lamps. Only the inner parts though I already had the some spare buckets. Once the parts arrived I got them put together and fitted and the car then looked like this

20151223_140144_zpsz24jnnkk.jpg

20151223_140135_zpsz7wwcnrs.jpg

Looks awesome tearing around the field in the dark with four lights blazing away at the front. I have the provisions to add another pair back on to the cage which I may do later on. And that is pretty much how it is at the moment. I have got a Proline undertray and a Savox waterproof servo coming tomorrow at some point which ill put some pictures up of when they arrive.

• Like 1