• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Mayzie 12s 808 Hong Nor Hotch Potch

mayzie12

Long Story short, took it for a test on the xerun that was in it posted on the previous page. 6s, and light gearing 18/48ish, pretty normal stuff for 2200kv and the result was a substantial ESC fire :lol:

Managed to whip out the batteries so they are okay luckily but esc is melted. Cant tell if the motor is okay as i'm not going to run it on another XErun just in case the same happens again. I now also have a couple of large caps. I'm just planning on using one large cap rather than 6 smaller ones which is what other folk are doing.

Body, still nothing, Uni is very busy atm and with exams at end of April i'm not going to have much time for it over the next month but the plan is still there

As for ESC im not getting one of them soon as i bought another Kart engine so funds are depleted until i sell two of the 5 to get my money back. This should allow me to see how the XLX/Max5 saga plays out. I looked at squeezing a 400a MGM in it, same as Bez uses in his chaser. I got him to send over the drawings and 3d printed one to see if i could squeeze it in, and it did! So if i get rich soon it could be on the cards but im expecting max5 or XLX.

Overall im happy with the car as it runs very well and the layout allows big motors and big ESC's and big batteries so plenty options. Planning on running the 1717 on 8s in it first as i managed 102 on 6s on one, so another 25% power would hopefully bump that up a bit.

Main things to sort on a postcard. Body. ESC.

Pics:

Just after Fire

OWDmV7J.jpg

Cap

2Xfr7Fr.jpg

3D Printed MGM

3dCF7n3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got the car together for a test.

Got the new Protoform Corvette bodyshell. Fit is excellent. Aero = who knows. I was speaking at quite some length with Tony how to make bodyshells, and have looked in to it quite a lot too, but i just dont have any space to do it as i build these things out my bedroom, and the garage is full of cars/karts.

ESC wise i was looking to get a 400a MGM as said above, but sadly some other things in life have come up, and it looks out of the budget, so im back to my 250a MGM.

This isnt the worst thing, i have been using it a lot in a basher, on 8s with a 1717 and i have it running very reliably (touches wood) and cool.

Tested the car on 4s, with the huuuuuuge 2200kv TP Power Motor, 25:48 gearing. Was just running it up and down my street which has handily been resurfaced recently. Had a round 90m to play with, including stopping and managed a 5-6 60mph runs without anything breaking a sweat. Next is to head over to the kart track where i have around 200m to play with, up the cell counts slowly to 8s (not going to touch the gearing) and see how the ESC Reacts. As said ive been gathering a lot of data on that 250a ESC through bashing, so im understanding it a lot more now. Also fitted was my large cap. Seemed to work as planned. I had some reservations about using 1 large cap, but found these were actually bought to do load dump tests on electronics so there more than up to it.

Going to change the rear body mount also to a one piece design, just to its a bit more sturdy!

6TbEs0N.jpg

W0m9UqM.jpg

YZbTgNh.png

• Like 3

Took the car to the kart track today and the results were pretty positive. Things broke, as always but thats why we test!

Had around 160m to play with, including stopping, so not great but better than my street! :lol: Kept the gearing on 25:48 on all these runs.

Started on 4s with same results as before, so then bumped it up to 5s. Car reached around 125km/h (78mph). Was still accelerating slightly as seen by the data as i was only on full throttle for 0.8s.

uGJuozp.png

Next up was 6s

Car went faster again, reaching around 145km/h (90mph) and was still accelerating.

svhU0Fm.png

Only managed full throttle for 0.4s before having to slam on the brakes, which sadly put me into a cone i forgot to move :lol: This resulted in the printed front bumper breaking. I knew it would break first time i hit anything as it was only really designed to stop the body tucking at high speed, so another one of them will need to be made.

Managed to bodge a support for the body out of some turnbuckles just so i could continue the testing.

zW1X8rg.jpg

Went out again on 6s for the car to break a Centre CVD, where the grub screw goes through to old it on the diff has cracked, so you cannot tighten it up anymore. this happened on a run which made me lose control, and the car flipped. Body is scraped and has a large crack down the back but nothing a bit of shoo goo wont fix.

687XOhS.jpg

Things to do:

Sort out driveshafts

Rear body mount. The design has been changed, just need to print it

Print another front bumper

Fix the fan on the top of the ESC. Seemed to be intermittent, should just be a dodgey connection im hoping.

Finally, fix the shell

The only thing i really still need to get is some good MOD1 8mm bore pinions for the spool i made to replace the centre diff. Had normal steel ones from HPC but there not up to the job. Only place i can get the hardened steel ones is Kershaw Designs from the US. There only around $20 each which is not anymore than i was for the normal steel ones from HPC, its just the postage is $30 (rip off) and i could get stung. Think i might just have to bite the bullet, buy a few of them and spend $100 on pinions :huh:

Some positive results (bar the obvious :() it may be a good idea to strengthen up the whole shell with scrim tape and shoe goo to reduce the flex on the body and also to prevent any more cracks should the unthinkable happen. 

What was the maximum amps during the 6s run? Temps ok etc.?

speak to Neil at RW racing, he sells the mod1 8mm bore pinion's for around £26 and they are as good as they get

1 hour ago, Wrighty8766 said:

Some positive results (bar the obvious :() it may be a good idea to strengthen up the whole shell with scrim tape and shoe goo to reduce the flex on the body and also to prevent any more cracks should the unthinkable happen. 

What was the maximum amps during the 6s run? Temps ok etc.?

speak to Neil at RW racing, he sells the mod1 8mm bore pinion's for around £26 and they are as good as they get

The Amps is the red line on the graphs above. Its saying around 400ish but its meant to be a 250a controller with 300a burst, so not quite sure there.....

However temps were fine, no more than 40c doing two runs at a time

Still works out cheaper to buy from US at that price. I can get 4 gears from Kershaw for $100, around £70, and even handling fee + VAT wont bring it up to his figure.

Talk to Stu about the peak amps. The logging on the MGM isnt accurate.

My gears from Neil were expensive and poor quality. The bore wasnt accurate and I had to turn down the shafts to get them to fit. 

Best to get HPC, machine them how you want and get them hardened.

Cheers

39 minutes ago, ajlovering said:

Talk to Stu about the peak amps. The logging on the MGM isnt accurate.

My gears from Neil were expensive and poor quality. The bore wasnt accurate and I had to turn down the shafts to get them to fit. 

Best to get HPC, machine them how you want and get them hardened.

Cheers

Already ordered the hardened steel ones from Kershaw, already on their way. Will see what quality they are soon!

Will drop a line to Stu to see what the story is with the peak amps.

Cheers

Pinions arrived from Kershaw. Some are excellent quality and run very smooth, others run slightly rougher, they seem more "hand" made. I think i have enough to have plenty options. Also top marks to them for marking the price down, and also sending me them even though they did not have all in stock, but the day they arrived, the sent the one that was missing. Good service all round

Had a word with Stu, good long chat :lol: and he mentioned the other parameters that the MGM records, the ones that arent ticked on the graph by defualt and the ones i completely forgot about...........

Anyway the upshot is i now have a much more accurate amps reading. Comparing the graphs below, 4s, 5s and 6s, The amps stay similar throughout as i didnt change the gearing just upped the voltage for more speed. From that it looks like i have quite a bit of scope left for grearing as the ESC is rated upto 300a burst and 250a constant. Aslo its never above 50c yet so seems well within its comfort zone. Hopefully it all holds together this year!

4s

R2UCuR3.png

5s

10Qi3l9.png

6s

Z5CCWdM.png

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the track today, and what a nice day it was.

qDeCk4K.jpg

Upped the gearing for this time out, using one of the pinions I ordered from Kershaw as a spur rather than the diff. Gearing was set at 25 Pinion and 35 Spur. Once again i just left the gearing once it was set and slowly built up the cells.

Started on 4, giving a theoretical max speed of 90mph, then 5 cells, for up to 113 and finally 6 for 136mph. Had 8s with me just in case.....

2Zie2dX.png

Hit around 81mph (graphs are all in km/h) Which is pretty close to the theoretical speed, so was happy and moved on to 5s.

59btW5U.jpg

This time hit the magical 100mph, which in only 150m including stopping is pretty damn good doing i think. Still, was close to the theoretical top speed, all seems good, move on to 6s.

hS4Yhcd.png

Sadly didnt go much faster. Topped out around 102mph (I seem to like this speed :lol: ). But the plus point was i was only on fully throttle for 0.2s, so probably still plenty more to come!

Over the day temps on the ESC were higher, i think it touched on 80c on that 6s run, but that was after at least 5 passes so not too worried. Managed to grab a vid too on the 6s run. Shows how little straight i have and quite the crash while stopping! Behind the camera there is literally a corner straight after, can just see the start of the inside white kerb in the left hand side of the shot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ajlovering said:

looks like you will be ready for the event. Lets hope you break the 140mph!

Cheers

Would be a dream to do 140mph! Shame i cant make it to Lanbedr, will be down in September at Shakey though!

• 1 month later...

Was at the track today giving the car its final run before the main ROSSA UK event in September. Body is getting a bit knackered but i have a nice shiney new one for the event!

Car has been finally loaded full with 8 cells.

AsBjoLt.jpg

CBQzdO3.jpg

V8RZf3O.jpg

Also you may have noticed Bez (very briefly) was selling his MGM 25035 ESC, which is identical to mine. After the last couple of years mine failing (probably more to user error) i thought its time i had a spare so i snapped it up. Sods law would now say i will not need it, but i reckon its better to have and not need than the opposite ;)

GdZWyP4.jpg

I had made a few mods since running the car last time. New stronger Lipo Tray and basically fixing the suspension at a fixed height. I done this using fuel tube, but its just not strong enough for what i need. I was hoping it would keep some damping effect by using it, but instead i'm just going to get some 4mm rod and make up some adjustable tie rods to replace the shocks. Only downside with the fixed suspension is if it goes sideways it goes over, but that has only been happening as i need to brake heavily at Crail where i test as the straight is short.

This has led to quite a few broken rear body mounts, so a new tougher one has been designed.

7K77uq5.png

X4b9APU.png

Added some strengthening around the fastening point as this is where it is breaking, so now the shock tower is sandwiched between the body mount, and the body mount itself is thicker around this area

Ran the car of 5, 6 and 8s. On 5 i ran 150km/h. On 6 i limited the throttle up to 75% as i've crashed it far too many times going "I can brake later" :lol:

Still, managed around 150km/h with limited throttle.

Now for the first time on 8s for the motor. I set the throttle limit to 50% to begin with before upping it to 60%. This is as far as i got with the limited space available.

nN2iwlF.png

Again, ran around 150km/h but the green line is still getting higher all the way until i let off, and only on 60% power for 1 second! Amps arent too bad, still a bit of headroom, and a longer run up will bring them down a bit as i wont need to get on the throttle as fast.

So im pretty happy as it stands. Car is now going in a safe place until the event! Hopefully it goes faster than 102mph.........

• Like 1

If you're gonna extend the body could you print a frame for the inside of the rear body then bolt a printed shelf to it from the outside or another frame with lexan panels to weight save. 

I wont be extending any bodies, if anything, i will be making a custom one!

Im just going into the final year at uni, so hoping to develop this car as part of my final year project so i get to something i want rather than designing medical tools which is what my university is hell bent on!

21 hours ago, mayzie12 said:

than designing medical tools which is what my university is hell bent on!

Depends where they get there some of their funding from. Which uni? My eldest is looking at Nottingham or Loughborough for engineering.

I go to Dundee University. It is very well funded for medical research, and to be honest, does very well from it as the main cancer research building is on campus etc..

Engineering on the other hand has dropped massively in funding the last few years, even though the year i applied there were 35 applicants for every place!