• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Team associated b5m lite build thread

Matt1986

Decided to make a build thread for the b5m . Not started to build it yet as bought it as a Christmas present to myself !?

after a trip to my local model centre came back with 

Sigma eq mini charger http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/CHA-O-IP3040.html?gclid=CNXUj4Oi68kCFUsOwwodTpEM8g

Etronix 120a esc http://www.etronix-rc.com/etronix-phaser-120A-brushless-esc

And a Etronix phaser 9.5t sensored motor 

got a good deal for esc and motor , £99 ! 

All after now will be radio gear , 2 cell lipo and charge bag , pinions and servo 

Any recomdations on battery will need to be shorty type cable of running 120a system along with what pinions ? 

Bit more done today ... 

2E7D0113-A70D-4920-9CB3-F84FBDC66910_zps

02BEE59D-B550-4B3A-9ABA-55B7C0167063_zps

98574DC6-0166-4B8C-8B4E-FEE084A59B4B_zps

7B742541-A44F-4336-8EBC-0CAB6A1EAC3A_zps

3B3796DE-C431-4233-AA9E-D246509E13D8_zps

10320E21-88EE-4CAD-B081-89847A710B9E_zps

ready to instal all electrics and found out it's quite tight stretch for the cables ... Where do all you other b5m owners run your motor cables ? If extend cables can run around side of the chassis or just go over top of battery but the body would push down onto cables ! 

Also noticed none of servo horns in kit do not fit my alturn servo ... Would a straight servo horn fit with corect amount of teeth without being too long or short ? 

Thanks all

Don't think my soldering skills are too bad since not done much in last 5 years .. 

1B4F04EE-993F-451C-8876-AA6702A8FDF8_zps

8F64FF32-E6FE-4263-ABBB-6B5DDE6B56B4_zps

pleased how the connections turned out ..

the reciever and transmitter have been bound and motor been calibrated , only issue was had to pop to my local model shop for a 25t servo horn as ones in kit did not fit . Just waiting on a longer sensor lead and hex wheels now ... Like a kid at Christmas this is lol ! 

The timing can increase the motors RPM's at the cost of using significantly more power from the battery. Since races are only 5 mins this isn't really a problem in itself but that energy has to go somewhere and that is heat. Too much timing and your motor gets very hot.

Generally I just leave the timing on the motor itself as is, and adjust with the esc (which has something called timing boost or turbo) but as it happens with my Phaser I found it at little underpowered compared to other motor of a similar wind and cranked the timing up to 40 to address that. Doesn't get too hot in my DEX210 which has a similar layout so should be OK in a B5m.

Your Phaser 120 will work without the sensor wire if you want to get moving whilst you wait for a longer lead. I have the same esc (well mines orange and says SkyRC Toro on it is, but its the same internally) currently in my Blizzard with no sensor wire and it works fine. Not as smooth and the aforementioned turbo doesn't work but perfectly usable.

Sorry - I should add that whilst I described the Phaser motor as underpowered this isn't strictly true. Running the Phaser the car never feels quick, but actually compared to everyone else on the track it doesn't actually seem to be slow. It just doesn't give the same sense of raw power I get from my Ares or Dynamite motors. The extra timing made it feel a bit better, but didn't make much difference to overall lap times.

Thanks si , knew you would know ! Il leave it alone , might as well stick it all down then but still waiting on the wheels ordered via modelsport tonight so hope will be here by Thursday if not next week . Guess should get painting the shel ... Any tips ??? Got the tamiya polycarbonate paint today . 

Was having a play with the settings in the esc with the transmitter yes / no option . Think il get a program card ...

1 minute ago, Si Coe said:

Sorry - I should add that whilst I described the Phaser motor as underpowered this isn't strictly true. Running the Phaser the car never feels quick, but actually compared to everyone else on the track it doesn't actually seem to be slow. It just doesn't give the same sense of raw power I get from my Ares or Dynamite motors. The extra timing made it feel a bit better, but didn't make much difference to overall lap times.

So it just seems quicker but not actually quicker overall ? 

I have set the car up as standard settings am I correct to do that to start with ? Also was thinking I will need to get some parts in my box for when I break parts or wear . Can you recommend what common parts would be useful to have spare ?

Thanks , rest of bits should be here today or next week , just itching to get out with it ... Going to try on hard surfaces this time of year really ! 

Just still not sure how tight to set the diff ! Thought sounded a bit rough but when looked on YouTube was another sounded same with wheels off the ground . Just need to bed the diff in . :)