• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ostewart's Axial RR10 Bomber Build

ostewart

So finally got round to going brushless. Used the Tekin Roc412 2300kv, gearing at the moment is 14/64, it has excellent low speed resolution and can crawl as well as a brushed motor but has the benefit of having better top speed. With the current gearing it doesn't even get warm, so I have a 16t pinion on the way and that I think will be my final gearing. I don't understand the people putting the 3100kv and getting insane speeds that are too much for the chassis. I'm happy with the speed I'm getting.

One thing that was a bit odd, is if I stabbed the throttle it would hesitate then take off like a rocket, heard some other people with this issue so I have put the starting power on the MMP to low, lets see if that helps.

So it had it's first proper outing since going brushless, and I didn't break a thing, I did hit a rock at full speed but all it did was scrape the plastic axle...

Ran it through lots of water, and everything still seems to be working, so fingers crossed my waterproofing worked.

I am very impressed with the RR10 platform, it can handle good speeds (not when cornering though) and yet still has the ability to crawl very well. Great for a truck you can carefully crawl with, or just launch it at a mound and watch it fly (stock motor won't make it fly).

The GPM motor mount is very nice, the finish of it is excellent and it all fits together very nicely. I also bought some 5x7 shims, and have made sure I shimmed the diffs correctly.

All the boom racing parts have held up so far, but I didn't bash it too hard today.

On the way:

Vanquish SLW hubs (725)

Dlux Fabrication Sway Bar

Proline spring set

Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper setup

Edited by ostewart

CI double deuce 6.0 comp cut foams on their way for this too.

Firm outer for the rear, medium for the front.

Dlux rear aluminium trailing arms are the next thing on my list.

Then I'll eventually change all the links to Dlux titanium ones so it's symmetrical and whatnot.

Edited by ostewart

• 3 weeks later...

Went to test the Robinson Racing steel spur and slipper on the road outside my house, flipped it and the servo died, seems like a bit of a design fault on the Xpert WR-7701 servos where the middle gear that transfers power from the motor to the spline is 2 separate parts push fitted together. Just a small roll and the parts separated, not good at all. Let's see what their customer service has to say.

Ordered a Hitec HS-7950TH for now, lets see how that holds up.

Pics coming soon

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

New Stuff:

Robinson Racing Slipper and Spur

Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 6.0 foams, (Medium outer on the front, Firm outer on the rear)

Dlux Fabrication Sway Bar (medium bar), Titanium upper and lower links, Trailing arms

Hitec HS-7980TH Servo

Vanquish SLW 725 Hubs

Also moved the rear wheel, used a M4 screw through the fuel cell, with some spacers and a 12mm hex to fit it all on.

IMG_20160228_142208_zpsp7wjf2cf.jpg

IMG_20160228_142259_zpsljxm1gub.jpg

IMG_20160228_142326_zpsgybcfciz.jpg

IMG_20160228_143214_zpsw1yqutac.jpg

As you can see, didn't lose any flex really with the sway bar installed.

Edited by ostewart

List of Installed parts (for anyone interested)

Electrics:

Castle MMP

Castle BEC

Spektrum Receiver

Hitec HS-7980TH Servo

Tekin Roc 412 2300kv

Floureon 3s 25c 5000mah lipo's

Generic ebay LED's

Chassis:

Dlux Fabrication Aluminium Trailing Arms

Dlux Fabrication Sway bar, with medium bar

Dlux Fabrication Titanium front and rear upper links, and front lower links

High Tensile Screws

SSD Titanium Front Steering Links

GPM Aluminium Servo Mount

Boom Racing Aluminium Rear Lockouts

Boom Racing Aluminium C-Hubs

Boom Racing Aluminium Steering Knuckles

Proline Pro-spec Shocks (Super hard spring rear - 40wt oil, Super soft spring front - 20wt oil)

Brass Beef Tubes front and rear

Wheels + Tires:

SSD Steel Beadlocks

RC4WD Interco Irok Tires

Crawler Innovations Double Deuce Foams (Medium outer front, Firm outer rear)

Vanquish SLW 725 Hubs

Drivetrain:

GPM Aluminium Motor Mount

GPM Aluminium Spur Gear Cover Plate

Robinson Racing Steel Spur and Slipper set

MIP Driveshafts front and rear

Axial Heavy Duty Steel Bevel Gears 43/13t (Underdrive front and rear)

LockedUp RC FI Spools

Axial CVD's front

Edited by ostewart

Did Xpert ever get back to you regarding the servo?

Also, the power thing you mentionend earlier, I'm having the same issue with my HW 120A SCT-Pro, I will turn the punch up (I turned it right down for testing purposes) and hopefully that will sort it!

Really liking the look of these Bombers... May have to save for one when the Wraith is done.

7 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Did Xpert ever get back to you regarding the servo?

Also, the power thing you mentionend earlier, I'm having the same issue with my HW 120A SCT-Pro, I will turn the punch up (I turned it right down for testing purposes) and hopefully that will sort it!

Really liking the look of these Bombers... May have to save for one when the Wraith is done.

In-racing sent me a new servo, had to send the broken one back to Germany. So I have a backup servo now that I bought the hitec.

In the mean time I got the hitec, the mounts for the 7980 are slightly different from a standard servo, slightly further apart. I modified the ears on the servo to get it to fit, it may have weakened them a little but I might see if anyone can fabricate a mount for it as a new servo case is only about £6-8

I love the Bomber purely because it's a great basher and crawls well :)

7 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

That's good of them to send you a replacement, decent customer service there!

I think it does look like a good platform actually, perhaps what the Yeti should have been.

Does it have live or locked diffs?

Locked, I'm running HD under drive in mine, some people in the states are trying it with an unlocked front diff, and the are already people doing independent front suspension mods.

I like it as is, as I can still crawl with it

Did you ever have a Wraith?

Can't remember but wouldn't mind knowing how this runs on it's brushed system, mainly because I have a load of brushed gear already anyway and a servo and stuff (assuming this will be or is currently a kit as well)

And the reason I asked about diffs is I imagine it would work quite well as a light basher, on a brushed system, given it's trailing arms rather than 4 link so I imagine it will handle a little better than a Wraith.

It might be a good companion for my SCX10 and Wraith.

Turning into a bit of an Axial fanboi! :lol:

Never had a wraith unfortunately.

Stock the Bomber comes with a 35t brushed motor, and runs fine but better on a 27t. If running a 35t you want to run 3s otherwise it'll be rather slow.

To be honest it'll handle better than a wraith at speed, but won't crawl quite as well due to the longer wheelbase.

It would make a great trailing truck due to its ability to get over anything pretty much, but also have some wheelspeed for bashing.

I'd say mine runs about 15-20mph which is perfect for this chassis

ouch... adding this all up amounts to over £1200

You look at it and think I wouldn't get even half that back were I to sell it. Better keep it and enjoy it :)

Still waiting for my hardened 16t pinion to arrive from Rcmart. Put an 11t on for now.

Ordered Vanquish V2 Axle housings for this now, couldn't afford the Curries but I really like the stock look of the axles, also keeping them black.

I plan to get matching diff cover, truss, lockouts/c hubs/knuckles in the long run, one part at a time :)

Went back to the standard SSD hubs, the SLW725 were just too wide I think.

Edited by ostewart

• 2 weeks later...

So fitted a 18t pinion as the motor wasn't even running warm. Could gear this to the moon I feel, but the speed is pretty good geared 18/64.

Vanquish axles arriving next week, not sure whether to mount straight away, or build them up with all vanquish parts and then install them.

Got some Proline Flat Iron XL 2.2's for this, mounted with the P RC4WD Proline compatibility beadlock ring yet they still pop out quite easily, so SSD Rock Racer Beadlocks ordered. Guy in the states hasn't had a problem with beads popping out with the Rock Racer or the Assasin SSD's which use a different beadlock system than the 10 hole steel ones I'm running. We shall see.

10399825_1027146734027581_40188171975509

12936734_1027146760694245_26368624231237

12670640_1027146794027575_20312492747490

Got these in the post, but customs got me :( had to get them from the states because RCmart didn't have stock in black. 

Not sure whether to mount them now, or wait to get the matching truss, c-hubs, knuckles and lockouts... Opinions?

IMG_20160405_110825_zpswanxd0zy.jpg

IMG_20160405_110835_zpsuulobkwe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to fit the Vanquish axles without the matching parts. Very nice pieces of kit with superb finish.

Fitted the SSD Rock Racer beadlocks, they look incredible on this truck.

I'll get pictures of the axles when I go out with this, hopefully at the weekend.

Also my Hitec HS-7980th died, I think water damage even though it was never submerged it has some condensation. So that's been sent to the service centre, hopefully get a replacement. Using the Xpert WR-7701 again for now, might keep it in this if it doesn't break again.

Minor adjustment to the front bumper where I have the lights mounted, added a small spacer between the bumper and chassis, and the bumper and lights as the servo used to hit the light bar and not allow full compression.

IMG_20160414_071750_zpsdaznlnmr.jpg

• Like 2

No more issues with popping a bead (SSD Rock Racer wheels are awesome), happy days. Put a whole 5000mah 3s pack through it, lasts over an hour with a combination of speed runs and crawling.

I'm using CI DD 6.0 in the tyres, Medium outer on the front, and Firm outer on the rear. They are a little too stiff for proper rock crawling, but still conform nicely when needed. And for a basher they work well.

More eye candy:

IMG_20160416_104156_zpss7menv3x.jpg

IMG_20160416_104912_zps1m1xbhz8.jpg

IMG_20160416_104919_zpsecxghdqe.jpg

IMG_20160416_105352_zpsiwq4n43t.jpg

IMG_20160416_105742_zpsyqcnethf.jpg

IMG_20160416_105751_zpstrattcqb.jpg

• Like 1

List of Installed parts (for anyone interested)

Electrics:
Castle MMP
Castle BEC
Spektrum Receiver
Xpert WR-7701 Servo
Tekin Roc 412 2300kv
Floureon 3s 25c 5000mah lipo's
Generic ebay LED's

Chassis:
Dlux Fabrication Aluminium Trailing Arms
Dlux Fabrication Sway bar, with medium bar
Dlux Fabrication Titanium front and rear upper links, and front lower links
High Tensile Screws
SSD Titanium Front Steering Links
GPM Aluminium Servo Mount
Boom Racing Aluminium Rear Lockouts
Boom Racing Aluminium C-Hubs
Boom Racing Aluminium Steering Knuckles
Proline Pro-spec Shocks (hard spring rear - 20wt oil, Super soft spring front - 15wt oil)
Vanquish OCP v2 Axles
Vanquish Diff Covers

Wheels + Tires:
SSD Rock Racer Aluminium Beadlocks
Proline FlatIron XL 2.2
Crawler Innovations Double Deuce Foams (Medium outer front, Firm outer rear)
Stock Hubs

Drivetrain:
GPM Aluminium Motor Mount
GPM Aluminium Spur Gear Cover Plate
Robinson Racing Steel Spur and Slipper set
MIP Driveshafts front and rear
Axial Heavy Duty Steel Bevel Gears 43/13t (Underdrive front and rear)
LockedUp RC FI Spools
Axial CVD's front

• 2 weeks later...

getting on over £1400 probably by now...

Small change, shocks now 20wt front, 30wt rear oil, changed connectors over from Deans to XT60.

Crawler Innovations Double Deuce 5.5 comp cut with soft outer all round, also using the Tuning Discs for sidewall support due to the wide wheels. Excuse the rough cuts, but it works.

Needs to be taken out again at some point.

IMG_20160430_2204081_zpsou5ya1kd.jpg

IMG_20160430_2204231_zps5sfel9yy.jpg

IMG_20160430_2204361_zpstymeb1cz.jpg

IMG_20160430_2204441_zps6woq5oaw.jpg